GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on the road today, no screwdriver to check. My throttle is currently free rotating, and im not refering to the part thats supposed to but the whole assembly.

My question is is there an anti rotational pin on the kill switch housing or is it just screw tight? Wondering if i need to find a screwdriver or give the dealer a call.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
So on the road today, no screwdriver to check. My throttle is currently free rotating, and im not refering to the part thats supposed to but the whole assembly.

My question is is there an anti rotational pin on the kill switch housing or is it just screw tight? Wondering if i need to find a screwdriver or give the dealer a call.

Thanks
There is screwdriver in the toolkit!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Yep as said their is a locating pin and if it's not in the right spot the housing will not tighten up correctly and their will be a gap in the 2 housings housings unless a lot of force has been used to do it up tight

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks gents. Gonna have to take it apart tomorrow and see if the pin is there then. The dealer is pretty good about things so if its an issue, hope they'll cover it.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I'm sure you will just need to loosen the screws and wiggle it into position

·
Registered
336 Posts
That sucks. Yes, give them a call. In the interim you could loop a couple wraps of electrical tape and tighten the assembly...should be fine until dealer addresses it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That sucks. Yes, give them a call. In the interim you could loop a couple wraps of electrical tape and tighten the assembly...should be fine until dealer addresses it.
I slapped on some stick on foam in there and gave it a good tightening. Needed an excuse to ride tomorrow anyways. It looks like the piece is replaceable anyways so hopefully they have one in stock.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Well thanks for all the input folks, looks like my pin is indeed sheared. Time to give the dealer a ring.
That happened to me on a previous bike, I just drilled a hole and put in a small self tapping screw to replace the boss.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That happened to me on a previous bike, I just drilled a hole and put in a small self tapping screw to replace the boss.
Thats an idea. The part is replaceable, but if the dealer gives me beef about it I might try that out for a bit. thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know I'm late to this, but for the record, this seems to be a common problem. Mine is a 2016 bike and I have this issue. In fact, I had the owner of the Ford and Ellis dealership looking at it and in my instance it definitely looked like there was never even a plastic holding stud on the housing anyway! Manufacturing flaw? I have to say, that a small plastic stud holding something that is constantly under quite a lot of force seems a bit cheap to me

It's a bit bizarre though, because, as yet I haven't had it fixed, but I can now turn the throttle without the whole housing turning, whereas, just last week, the whole assembly moved. It's obviously sticking on something else to prevent it all moving, which makes me wonder if this is a much bigger issue across all bikes. Id hate to be miles from home and have this break.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts