GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016. M4 slip on, bar end mirrors, midpipe. That's it. This things is a monster. 8k miles so far. Got 6k out of stock rear. Front needs new soon. Michelin 2CT. For my skill level. Superb tire. Def going up front. For now, fast enough. 160 indicated. Will burn up 600cc sport bikes. 750 about par-ish. 1000, fun up to 130. Then bye bye. I haven't had any issues w throttle, maybe I'm just used to it. Midpipe, and cleaning the cat out, helped deceleration. Smoother engine braking. Super loud. May have to find my old db killer. M4 w cats, just a db louder than stock can..that's all I can think about now. I'm in love with this bike. Stay safe out there.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Looks great! What's not to love? I was riding around on mine yesterday thinking about how great (and close to perfect) the bike is for me.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Only way I'll part with my 2016 is if they reintroduce it with a wide ratio tranny in the future.
Agreed! The tranny is my biggest gripe too. For my needs (I commute) 1st gear is too tall and 6th gear is too short, with too-close spacing of the gears in between. On a street bike with this much power there's no need for the gears to be as closely spaced as they are.

And just for the record, I have no real problem with the stock rear shock. It's admittedly rather firm, but 1) it seems to have somewhat mellowed with age (my bike is now over a year old), and 2) a regular minding of tire pressures (38 rear, 35 front) goes a good way toward mitigating any ride harshness, and 3) virtually all of my riding is on fairly good roads anyway.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I just got done doing 200 miles this weekend. Was awesome to ride it for longer than short 20-40 mile stints. Lots of rough roads here in IL and I definitely felt the harshness of that shock at my 200 lbs over the longer ride. Does a Ktech or Wilbers really offer a smoother ride on these rough roads? Will a budget 54x? suffice over the more expensive ones? I'm leaning towards the Wilbers over Ktech because the Ktech exterior reservoir mounting has me a little worried about hitting the tire.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I just got done doing 200 miles this weekend. Was awesome to ride it for longer than short 20-40 mile stints. Lots of rough roads here in IL and I definitely felt the harshness of that shock at my 200 lbs over the longer ride. Does a Ktech or Wilbers really offer a smoother ride on these rough roads? Will a budget 54x? suffice over the more expensive ones? I'm leaning towards the Wilbers over Ktech because the Ktech exterior reservoir mounting has me a little worried about hitting the tire.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
I'm only 150 lbs, so my experience might not match yours, but your description of harshness over high speed bumps does. Mine was spine jarringly stiff. I ordered a K-Tech for my weight (160-190 with gear), and low and behold the spring rate was the same as stock. Even so, it its worlds better and the adjustable compression damping can make it ride about a plush as I could ever want. No more dreading every bump in the road.

·
Registered
196 Posts
2) a regular minding of tire pressures (38 rear, 35 front) goes a good way toward mitigating any ride harshness,
This is often forgotten when people complain about "ride harshness" whether it be with bikes or cars. It can only adjust for so much but I also tweak my tire pressures the same as you.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I don’t want to start a “tire pressure debate”, just to comment that I have always run 30 rear and 32 front on the street, I weigh 220 and bike rides perfect. Less pressure helps to soften up the ride as well. Might try it and see if it helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don’t want to start a “tire pressure debate”, just to comment that I have always run 30 rear and 32 front on the street, I weigh 220 and bike rides perfect. Less pressure helps to soften up the ride as well. Might try it and see if it helps.
Sure it softens up, but 30 at rear?? Doesn't it understeer ?
I can immediately sense while doing slow speed turns within the city, when tire pressure drops by 3-4 psi

Cheers
Talisker

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Sure it softens up, but 30 at rear?? Doesn't it understeer ?
I can immediately sense while doing slow speed turns within the city, when tire pressure drops by 3-4 psi

Cheers
Talisker
“sense understeer while doing low speed turns within the city”? Not sure what you mean there. Understeer means the front end washes out and slides forward, yet you cited my 30 rear tire pressure! Possibly you misstated what you feel. Talister, please lower your tire pressures to 30 rear and 32 front and then report back if you feel any difference - especially “understeer”.

·
Registered
21 Posts
“sense understeer while doing low speed turns within the city”? Not sure what you mean there. Understeer means the front end washes out and slides forward, yet you cited my 30 rear tire pressure! Possibly you misstated what you feel. Talister, please lower your tire pressures to 30 rear and 32 front and then report back if you feel any difference - especially “understeer”.
Sorry mate, I got it all wrong...!

I meant, 10% drop in psi makes me feel as if the bike is going to drop anytime while doing slow turns. No issues while riding hard on the twisties though.

I always stick with whats in the manual, 36 Front and 42 rear.

Cheers
Talisker

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Sorry mate, I got it all wrong...!

I meant, 10% drop in psi makes me feel as if the bike is going to drop anytime while doing slow turns. No issues while riding hard on the twisties though.

I always stick with whats in the manual, 36 Front and 42 rear.

Cheers
Talisker
just try it and then tell me if you truly feel a difference at low speed! 30/32 front

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I'm only 150 lbs, so my experience might not match yours, but your description of harshness over high speed bumps does. Mine was spine jarringly stiff. I ordered a K-Tech for my weight (160-190 with gear), and low and behold the spring rate was the same as stock. Even so, it its worlds better and the adjustable compression damping can make it ride about a plush as I could ever want. No more dreading every bump in the road.
BTW, I looked pretty closely at the reservoir (just eyeballing it) and I think it's mounted so it would be pretty hard for the tire to hit it unless you went with a wider width tire than stock and could compress the shock really far.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I run 34 rear/32 front cold....after about 5 mins my TPM shows 38 rear/35 front....and I still don't like it...too stiff.

·
Registered
567 Posts
So, @Rapido1 is running track day pressure every day, all the time, on the street (32F/30R)? YIKES! But...it sure would be a soft, cushy ride. I think it's great that each person finds 'what works for them' but it's worth pointing out that the lower your tire pressure, the more tire 'flex' is occurring and the more heat that is being generated. Heat might be good for a 20 or 30 minute track day stint (though that heat ruined my Michelin Pilot Pure tires.) But doing it everyday on the street? Maybe it'd be okay for around town or short stints without too much speed. This is NOT me lecturing Rapido1 on what he should or should not do. He's a grown man. He is free to do as he wishes. Please do note that if your tires are taking on a 'blue' tinge, you've overheated them and that's not a good thing.

For those that haven't 'picked' a pressure, I would caution to not go below 36 psi on the rear for a 'streetbike'. If you go do a track day, they may 'suggest' something lower for the track. That's fine. Just pump it back up when you are done for the day. Too low a tire pressure on too hot a day at too high of a speed and you can delaminate a tire with potentially fatal consequences. It rarely happens, but it only has to happen once, to you, for it to matter. Besides, you'll get more life from your tires with higher pressures, as heat = tire wear.

I will also continue with my "nanny'ing" here and suggest that if you are fat (me!), running luggage, or riding "two up", you would be best running that rear tire at 40 to 42 psi rear. I learned this 'touring' on my CBR929's for many years. You can learn the lesson on your own, or take some advice. It's all good with me.

For the front, I would not go below 32 (personally) and Rapido1 is running that and that is a good, safe pressure 'minimum'. That provides good grip while still having enough air to be safe. I'm liking 38R/34F for everyday riding on my GSX-S1000. I like 40R/33F on my Super Tenere. When I had the CBR929 and 954 (Fireblades) I ran 40R/35F because I would routinely take them up to 125mph when the situation allowed, with the occasional 'visit' to 140mph. Too low a pressure at those speeds wasn't safe.

Please(!?) save the super low pressures for the track. Try to run AT LEAST 36 psi in the rear and 32 psi in the front on the street. More is fine and gives you some 'buffer'. (Tires lose pressure just sitting there...how much depends on your tire and rim. If you are running "minimum" pressures and not checking them every three days - or more frequently - you are pushing your luck. But...some of you are pretty lucky people, ha!
Live YOUR dream...whatever that is.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts