GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2016 GSX S1000F
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am new to the forum. I have a 2016 gsx s1000f. after about 3-4 month of inactivity and storage my bike is running poorly at low rpm. The idle is rough and low and falls below 1000 and and possibly stall just sitting at idle. Once on the throttle it sputters and sounds like im on 2 cylinders until i hit about 3k then it purrs like a kitten. It wasnt doing this last riding season. My battery died ( not sure if it could be relevant ). I have full arrow set up with dano flash. I ran the gas out and refueled thinking the gas was bad but no luck.
Has anyone here had a similar issue or know of any possible culprits I could look into?
Nice to meet you all and join the community.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Hi and Welcome to this Forum,
I presume you live in a cold area of the USA, and that you stored your bike over Winter with fuel additive, but no attached battery tender ?
The usual result of mis-firing and poor running, low power in the GSX-S1000 comes from a clogged fuel filter gauze at the fuel pump, which is in the tank or a stuffed pump.
When it's been sitting for a while, the fuel pump primes up as usual from the bottom of the tank, and any water which has formed gets sucked up first, plus whatever crud has formed.
Bacteria likes fuel, especially fuel with an ethanol mix, and form's a black scum, which a few here have found when they have removed the tank and stripped the pump down to get to the internal filters.

Rob.

·
Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
1,678 Posts
As above + possibly fuel injectors need cleaning ?

Reactions: Tdids

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
i always parked bike for 5 to 6 months at a time no gas additive or charge on batters and it always started up abd ran great probably battery shxt the bed

·
Registered
2016 GSX S1000F
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That’s what I was thinking. Took it to the pros today. I’ll post what the fix was in a few days

·
Administrator
443 Posts
I presume you live in a cold area of the USA, and that you stored your bike over Winter with fuel additive, but no attached battery tender ?
The usual result of mis-firing and poor running, low power in the GSX-S1000 comes from a clogged fuel filter gauze at the fuel pump, which is in the tank or a stuffed pump.
When it's been sitting for a while, the fuel pump primes up as usual from the bottom of the tank, and any water which has formed gets sucked up first, plus whatever crud has formed.
Bacteria likes fuel, especially fuel with an ethanol mix, and form's a black scum, which a few here have found when they have removed the tank and stripped the pump down to get to the internal filters.

Rob.
Difference between clogged gas filter & new gas filter on my Bandit. It ran like Rob describes; so ordered new filter and reassembling now.

Attachments

·
Registered
576 Posts
Difference between clogged gas filter & new gas filter on my Bandit. It ran like Rob describes; so ordered new filter and reassembling now.
How much of a PITA is it to take that out of the tank?
I assume there is a gasket that needs to be replaced??
Just wondering.

·
Administrator
443 Posts
How much of a PITA is it to take that out of the tank?
I assume there is a gasket that needs to be replaced??
Just wondering.
Not a major project at all. Drain tank, flip over remove 5 bolts and carefully jiggle unit out. Bought a new gasket - did not use. Change filter & reinstalled. Add some gas and observe 2 or 3 days. No leaks, no issues.

·
Registered
2016 GSX S1000F
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Rob.
So the local Suzuki dealer speculated that i needed the spark plugs replaced and it worked. Go figure. I guess old gas may have fouled em a bit. I dont know. thanks for the input everyone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts