GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello

Since 2005 I have had a 2004 Kawasaki Z750 shared with my wife (Also lowered and seat shaven). Now we wanted another bike, and a upgrade. So we bought a GSX S1000 last week. The only trouble is, my wife forgot to grow tall. She is 164cm, around 5ft4. She got the test drive done at the dealers, my heart was up my throat, but i went ok :)

Now a brand new GSX S1000, me not really wanting to lower it, so we started with daytona ladystar boots (gives around 2cm in front and 8 cm in the back) It helps, but she still only able to touch the ground with the toes.

The bike has now run a total of 230 km. So lets rip the seat apart and attack with a breadknife :)

The wife wanted to do the cutting and shaving, and as she is gifted ind crafting and so on, I think that was a good idea :)

It is actually not a big job.

1. Unmount rear seat
2. Remove 5mm hex bolt holding front seat
3. Remove front seat
4. Pry out stables holding the seat cover in place. (around 50 pieces.) I used a small flat headed screwdriver, pried up one side. Then pulled the stable out with a flat nosed plier
5. Remove seat cover
6. Give the seat to the wife
6.a Mark the area that has to be shaven down
6.b Cut of exsessive foam with bread knife
6.c Sand down the cut area (80 grit sandpaper)
7. Remount the seat cover
8. Stable seatcover, here you need to be sure it is streched out.
9. In reverse do step 3 to 1. :)

All in all we only got around to step 8. As our stablegun was to weak.

UPDATE:

Bought a more powerfull stablegun.

It took around half an hour to reattach the seat cover. It was quite a bit to large now. Around 2cm in each side. I took some stretching to get rid of all the wrinkels. I started by loosly mounting the cover. The shape kept it on in fornt and back. Then i pulled quite much in the sides in the middel, to get the cover down to the foam. There is a picture where i clammed the cover down with 2 small vices to check the progress. From there it was quite easy. The end result is quite good, in my humble opinion.

The best part is that combined with the Daytona Ladystar GTX boots, my wife has a quite good footrest. The front part of her foot solid on the ground. So far no need for further lowering.

I have attached a lot of pictures of the proces. Hopefully it will help.

Regards Tommy & Louise

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Nice write up but I'm only 5'6 with a 29" inside leg and im more than happy with the seat height.
I notice you didn't trim the sides at all... that to me would have reaped the biggest gains for touching the ground.
What did you use to staple the cover back down ?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Genman

The sides are not that thick, so there is not that much to trim down. But a bit was taken from upper part of the sides.

I have no idea about her leg lenght, but it must be shorter than yours :) She is not able to touch the ground with her toes both sides at the same time.

I have not stabled the cover back on yet, as my stable gun was to weak. Will get a new one today :) Pictures to come.

/ Fer

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did loose comfort from shaving it down? I always thought about doing that, but thought that comfort would be sacrificed. We ride twistys with about 7-8 hours of seat time quit frequently. Recently bought this bike for my girlfriend and lowered it with the T-Rex lowering link. this specific lowerlink has 5 different mounting points giving you lowering of anywhere between .5- 2.5 inches lower. It's lowered 1.8 inches, but looking to lower another .25- .5 inches. I didn't want to drop the bike any lower then 1.8 with the link because of the travel loss & clearance loss. I did also drop the front end a bit. How much do you think it lowered with that seat mod pictured (ballpark)? I also may go to a 180 55 17 to get a little bit more lower. However, my concern with the 180 tire being more round it may make turn in to abrupt. This bike is so light that the flatter heavier 50 tire helps with stability. Figured I could give you a few ideas on if your looking for lowering it a bit more.

Lowering pros

Better bike control (Safer) while manually moving bike,at a stop , or backing up the bike
Better handling all around

Lowering cons

Loose travel
Loose clearance
May Need to retune suspension to compensate (If going to different tire size or lowering with a link)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts