GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had some business in Maine today, so decided to take the bike to my appointment; and packed a dress shirt.

As an aside, for anyone riding in Maine - be careful, as many of the roads S*CK. Frost heaves, pot holes, no shoulders, sand, etc........ Roads between Waypoint B to Waypoint C on attached map are horrendous. Road between Waypoint C to D were decent, but the point of the post is................

Leaving the town of Harrison (WayPoint D) and heading toward Bridgton, Maine, the road turns good. I was behind a car and a loaded tractor trailer in a 35 mph (56kph) zone, and I chose to pass. The Cumberland County Sheriff Department Officer decided that my doing 77mph (124kph) as I was passing was worthy of pulling me over.

So I pulled over, removed my helmet and handed over license, registration and insurance card. I could tell the officer was perplexed; as in; what is that 60+ year old bald guy dong on a bike like that riding like that? Well he ran my license, checked out my record, etc.... and after 10 - 15 minutes came back to the bike and said: "Please slow down and be careful sir - and have a nice day."

I must admit - I was floored. Suffice to say I drove away very carefully - and was very good for 5 or 10 minutes...............................;)

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I had some business in Maine today, so decided to take the bike to my appointment; and packed a dress shirt.

As an aside, for anyone riding in Maine - be careful, as many of the roads S*CK. Frost heaves, pot holes, no shoulders, sand, etc........ Roads between Waypoint B to Waypoint C on attached map are horrendous. Road between Waypoint C to D were decent, but the point of the post is................

Leaving the town of Harrison (WayPoint D) and heading toward Bridgton, Maine, the road turns good. I was behind a car and a loaded tractor trailer in a 35 mph (56kph) zone, and I chose to pass. The Cumberland County Sheriff Department Officer decided that my doing 77mph (124kph) as I was passing was worthy of pulling me over.

So I pulled over, removed my helmet and handed over license, registration and insurance card. I could tell the officer was perplexed; as in; what is that 60+ year old bald guy dong on a bike like that riding like that? Well he ran my license, checked out my record, etc.... and after 10 - 15 minutes came back to the bike and said: "Please slow down and be careful sir - and have a nice day."

I must admit - I was floored. Suffice to say I drove away very carefully - and was very good for 5 or 10 minutes...............................;)
There aren't many time when being 60+ (like me) has it's advantages. I'm glad you found one! ;)

·
Registered
242 Posts
I find that LEO is more lenient as we get older. I guess wisdom and responsibility are assumed with age. It's reverse age-discrimination, really, and I'm okay with it as it gives me something to look forward to as I plan future shenanigans. :D

·
Registered
375 Posts
Maybe it's wishful thinking but sometimes I feel like as long as you don't run and have a clean record, you can luck out.

I used to speed all the time when I first started riding on my GSXR600. When I was 28, I quickly got pulled over the one and only time when I did a quick burst getting up to 130mph zooming away from traffic on the freeways of SoCal before I noticed the flashing lights. Pulled over into a gas station right up to a wall and made sure he saw me throw my keys onto the ground. He asked me why the **** was I going so fast. I told him the truth, "I went to the track yesterday and I'm an idiot." He took my info, I prepared myself to be taken to jail, he came back, and he told me to slow down. I said okay, I waited, and, without ever having looked him in the eyes due to the shame of it all, he took off. A little dumbfounded at that moment as to what the **** just happened but I never had the urge to speed again after that.

Now when driving a car, I got cited for doing 49 on a 35 when I was passing a semi and another for doing 44 on a 30 downhill speed trap. Both times I whined, both times I got fined. Go figure.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
549 Posts
It is a beautiful thing when a cop uses his/her judgement and discretion and DON'T ticket us. Those moments are rare but oh so beautiful. I got pinged by a Sheriff in NM doing 89mph in a 55mph zone. (My speedo said 93mph, so 89 sounded good!) He told me to 'Slow the f-ck down'...and I did. No ticket that day. I was truly thankful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts