GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a decatted exhaust with a straight through mid pipe - no cat, no large muffler box, no exhaust valve - and an M4 GP slip-on

I also have a reflashed ECU (flashtune) with a BMC air filter and some airbox mods, and i'm running an AFR logging system.

Today i decided to experiment by taking the DB-killer (baffle out of the slip=on).....

I didn't expect much difference - already loud and fast - however........

The sound is better, a little louder but a wonderful howl at high revs but it feels so much faster - i don't trust my seat of the pants dyno to judge power accurately but it does feel faster but the AFR readings are amazing...

Almost every logged reading from idle upwards to 100% throttle at 11,000 RPM shows an AFR of 1 less (i.e. 13.1 has become 14.1) so the airflow must be much greater, showing the restriction is still in the exhaust.

Going to do more logging tomorrow and then create a new map but I'm stunned by the results :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
That's pretty interesting. IIRC, the dyno that Yoshi produced with vs. without baffle only had a 1-2 hp difference and it was only on the top end.

What are you using to data log?

·
Registered
152 Posts
On my VFR1200 the bike is restricted to 60% power in the first 3 gears hence the ecu flash to remove restrictions, Is the GSXS restricted in any way or is the ecu flash just to put a map on the ecu ?

·
Registered
371 Posts
On my VFR1200 the bike is restricted to 60% power in the first 3 gears hence the ecu flash to remove restrictions, Is the GSXS restricted in any way or is the ecu flash just to put a map on the ecu ?
Yes, there are separate ignition maps for each of the first 3 gears compared to 4th-6th.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Interesting. I was curious enough to want to take my baffle out when I got my exhaust, but my snap ring pliers were not up to the task.

What did you use to get the circlip out?

It wasn't that important at the time, but now you have me wanting to try it.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting. I was curious enough to want to take my baffle out when I got my exhaust, but my snap ring pliers were not up to the task.

What did you use to get the circlip out?

It wasn't that important at the time, but now you have me wanting to try it.
We struggled to get them out too, could not get them out by using the snap ring pliers in a conventional manner, so ended up doing one end of the ring at a time and levering it and then releasing the other end.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts