GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I’ve put the M4 headers on my Naked 2018 GSX-S1000 and the throttle side header pipe is against the lower fairing. I’m planning to take it apart again to try to get some clearance but just wondered if anyone else had encountered this issue.

I was tempted to just put some kind of heat shield in to protect the fairing but probably best to refit and try to make some clearance.

·
Registered
2016 GSXS 1000
42 Posts
Had the same exact issue, just trimmed the plastic a bit because when I noticed it the header had already melted the fairing slightly.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Try cutting a strip off of a pop can (made of aluminum) and gluing it as a heat shield maybe?

Reactions: DennisBergkamp

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve not had time yet but I’m planning to take it off and try to refit with some more clearance. I’m just wondering if it’s even possible to fit it without fouling (melting) the fairing.

I happen to have some basalt fabric and that might do the job as a heat shield but I’ll try to make the clearance by refitting before I do that.

Thanks to another user on here, I put a longer bolt on the collector mounting points to take the can away from the swing arm (another common problem with these as far as I can see). I’m hoping that should help me to get the clearance at the fairing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Has anyone managed to fit these headers with some clearance between the fairing? I just want to know if it's even possible.

·
Administrator
460 Posts
Has anyone managed to fit these headers with some clearance between the fairing? I just want to know if it's even possible.
Dennis:
I just snapped some pictures for you. As you can see, I have about 3/8 of an inch (10mm) of separation. The longer bolt helped, and the heat tape is a safety item only.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks so much GSXS-NH, appreciate that. The bit where I had contact was on the outermost header pipe on the throttle side. I didn't actually notice any contact underneath (where the four pipes go into two).

I'm hoping to make some time later today or tomorrow to have another go.

·
Administrator
460 Posts
One other thing I found was when I attached the exhaust can, bolting it into the rearset forced the pipes forward. I removed the exhaust can and cut off a few mm of the mid pipe; then re-attached the exhaust can. It may help.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One other thing I found was when I attached the exhaust can, bolting it into the rearset forced the pipes forward. I removed the exhaust can and cut off a few mm of the mid pipe; then re-attached the exhaust can. It may help.
Good to know - I had to pry the can mounting to get it on. I'm pretty sure that had had exactly the same effect (pushing everything forward). Hopefully my next attempt will be the last attempt at it!

·
Registered
866 Posts
It's a shame that the best design in the aftermarket exhaust segment lacks in fit and finish compared to Yoshimura/ Arrow etc
If only those big companies had engineered a better design we'd be willing to pay the higher prices for their product.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts