GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I have a small clearance issue with the M4 muffler. I have installed full kit and one day I noticed after the bike sits for awhile the rear shock expands so much it brings the muffler to the swing arm and just slightly rubs. I have adjusted my fear shock to my weight. And there is no adjustment for the exhaust. Does anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I noticed how close the silencer was to the swing arm when I test fitted my system, it can be moved far enough away 8-10 mm if you slacken off the headers and where the mid pipe fits to the frame at the rear of the engine use 3 x spacer washers between the mount on the mid pipe and the engine, lightly tighten this up and mount the silencer before you secure the headers at the cylinder head, you'll notice you now have more clearance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you fitted the exhaust bracke to the inside or outside of the reat set's exhaust mount?
The inside. Muffler wont stretch to the outside and if it did probably look goofy. Here some pics. I thought about washers behind rear set's mounting points but dont really like the idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I noticed how close the silencer was to the swing arm when I test fitted my system, it can be moved far enough away 8-10 mm if you slacken off the headers and where the mid pipe fits to the frame at the rear of the engine use 3 x spacer washers between the mount on the mid pipe and the engine, lightly tighten this up and mount the silencer before you secure the headers at the cylinder head, you'll notice you now have more clearance.
Thanks for the info. I'll look into it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The inside. Muffler wont stretch to the outside and if it did probably look goofy. Here some pics. I thought about washers behind rear set's mounting points but dont really like the idea.
The mount on the silencer is bent slightly from the looks of it, my mount is more square at 90 degrees to the piece welded to the silencer, try bending it back slightly. This should help with clearance, I have around 6 mm clearance between the silencer and swing arm.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I had to install 10 spacer washers to give adequate clearance, my silencer mount is on the outside of the footpeg mount, I've added some pictures so you can see how my silencer and secondaries are mounted, I measured my clearance at 20 mm. Hope this helps you out.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I talked to the engineer from m4. He is sending me a special made aluminum spacer made for gsxr that mounts to the rear set. I'll let you guys know how it works out. And its free!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I talked to the engineer from m4. He is sending me a special made aluminum spacer made for gsxr that mounts to the rear set. I'll let you guys know how it works out. And its free!!
Put some pictures up when you get it installed. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts