GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would share an experience with other forum members. Believe me, the thread title is in jest but this incident was interesting.
I have an entirely stock 2017 GSXS with 5000 miles on it. It is kept in an air-conditioned garage on a battery tender. The fuel is non-ethanol fuel with a known high-quality additive. A few weeks ago I pressed the starter button and my bike started as normal. After running for about two seconds the RPMs began to drop but then returned to normal idle. After five seconds it shut off. It would not start again. Suzukis starting assist was clearly doing its job but no start. Pressure could be felt coming from the exhaust as the engine was cranking. No start. "FI" not showing on dash. Throttle position sensor showing the famous "-C00". First thing I did was swap out battery with a known good one. No start. Then, double checked battery on a professional load tester. Battery is good. Switched out fuel. No change. Fuel pump priming sound is present. Checked pressure with gauge. It's fine. Did fuel pump discharge test. It put out twice as much as the minimum standard prescribed in the manual. Then pull tank and begin examinations on various different block connectors and areas of the wiring harness. Nothing suspicious. Look in airbox. Airbox is clean with no obstructions and a clean filter. Pull bottom of airbox. Examine various block connectors and wiring harness under airbox. Nothing suspicious. Pull plugs. They look good. Camera snake is close at hand so look down in cylinders. Piston crowns look good and consistent. Ground plugs on chassis and see that I have spark. Replace plugs with new ones anyway. Multimeter is also close at hand so decide to do resistance checks on coils and fuel injectors. Everything is normal. Return tank to bike and attempt to start up with new plugs. Bike starts but runs somewhat poorly. Roll throttle to increase fuel demand and see what it does. It shuts off. Will not start again.

Very rarely do I ever have any shops work on my bikes. At some point in time, I know when to say when especially when I do not have enough time. So, I brought the bike to a trusted shop in which I know that the mechanic is very, very good. Bike won't start for him either. When he is able to get it onto the lift and begin work he pulls the tank up and looks underneath. Then, he lowers the tank. In doing so, he hears a clicking noise. Doesn't see anything. Doesn't smell anything. Unable to tell if the clicking noise was mechanical or electrical. So, he presses the starter button. The bike starts up and proceeds to run as normal. It warms up. He "blips" the throttle. It's fine. He takes it out and rides it. It's fine. Over the course of several days he starts it up and runs it numerous times. It's fine. Even runs it on his dynamometer. Performs as normal. At this point in time, for him to keep doing this would be pointless and he has a business to run so I take the bike back. It has started up numerous times as if nothing ever happened. I've ridden it and it has performed as nothing ever happened.

We could speculate all day long over numerous cold ones about what might have happened here. Was this "clicking" noise even relevant? I know the fueI pump wires are fine. I don't think that these motorcycles can fix themselves. Could it have been corrosion in a block connector that I managed to successfully clear during the disconnection and reconnection when attempting to diagnose? The throttle system isn't fly by wire so perhaps a cable weight became partially dislodged or something? Who knows? It's a freaky situation but hey, my username says it all.

This is something that I thought a number of members might find interesting. I hope someone may get some interest and value from it. Also if anyone is interested, this stock bike put out 136 hp at the rear wheel and 71 foot pounds of torque.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I always worry when I don't find the source for an intermittent problem that it will return at a very inopportune time. I hope it has just disappeared for good and that doesn't happen. ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha, no way man. No low fuel fouls here! As for the float, good point but we're sure it was something else. The whole thing is weird.

As for the air conditioned garage, you have to remember that I live in a furnace most of the year. When I started road racing and took care of 95% of wrenching operations I swore to invest in two things; a full size shop lift and an A/C. Best things I ever did. Before the A/C, I remember seeing the oil separate from the paraffin in my grease tubs because it would get so hot out there.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Here's my experience with my then 2012 GSX-R1000.
It was running fine after a long ride. I refuel my bikes at home with stored fuel in plastic jerry cans. The 4 stoke mower can had a litre of 91 octane in it, and the fuel was 6 months old, so to get rid of it, so I filled the bike with this this litre and a shandy of around 12 of the recommended 95 RON octane. At that time, I used a plastic hand squeeze pump, rather than lifting and holding the heavy jerry can decant fuel into the tank, so it would have been a very slow pour of the fresh fuel.
It rained for several weeks and the bike wasn't started. 2 weeks later, the bike refused to fire, just crank over till the battery flattened. No easy start system then.

Several recharges of the battery and checking what could be checked, nothing obvious found by me.
The Dealer vanned it to the Shop, stripped it down, and declared a fouled spark plug. They changed all the iridium plugs at $25 Au each + labour, and the bike ran there after. The bike probably had less then 10, 000km from new as per most of my bikes do.
I was told the Suzuki ECU will inhibit engine start even if 1 plug misfires.
I got the the 4 old plugs back, but have no proof that they are MY plugs, but they look OK to me.
The mower fuel was the problem as the bike jerry cans are well sealed and that fuel was fresh.

Rob.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Haha, no way man. No low fuel fouls here! As for the float, good point but we're sure it was something else. The whole thing is weird.

As for the air conditioned garage, you have to remember that I live in a furnace most of the year. When I started road racing and took care of 95% of wrenching operations I swore to invest in two things; a full size shop lift and an A/C. Best things I ever did. Before the A/C, I remember seeing the oil separate from the paraffin in my grease tubs because it would get so hot out there.
I need the opposite of A/C:|

1 - 11 of 11 Posts