GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i saw a post on Facebook , that max racing makes steering dampers for the gsxs 1000 and the 750 for around 330 dollars , has anyone used this brand of steering dampers , its a decent price comapred to other companies asking 500.00

·
Registered
524 Posts
Not me but curious what others may have to say. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
169 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the link it helped answer mu question.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
So easy I bet even a cave man can do it. Thanks for posting.
Looks like a pain in the ass to me. :ROFLMAO: If it works for people that think they need it, I'm all for it.
On my F I've never felt the need for one.

·
Registered
524 Posts
If it works for people that think they need it, I'm all for it. On my F I've never felt the need for one.
Yes, and Kevin Cameron mentions in his Sportbike Tuning book on p103 in my edition how there are two instabilities. They are wobble and weave. Wobble is the fast type of 8-10 seconds, what is most oven considered handlebar shake, usually when accelerating or decelerating around 35-45 mph. The other is weave and is about 2-3 cycles per second. A steering damper can (read:might) make weave worse. Ideally, if instability of the handlebars is never an issue, then you don't need one.

Also, weave is more likely the higher the speed. I think that may have been what happened to me a couple weeks ago, that I posted about to ask others their experience. And supposedly, every bike is prone to weave if the speed goes high enough.

·
Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
1,609 Posts
Don't need no darned sissy ass damper on my naked. :)
However I did once put one on a bike, circa 1960.

·
Registered
365 Posts
So easy I bet even a cave man can do it. Thanks for posting.
Just a note on this, I don't think it will work if you are running spacers/risers on your handlebars, the static frame mount would have to be taller by the looks of it.:unsure:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yes, and Kevin Cameron mentions in his Sportbike Tuning book on p103 in my edition how there are two instabilities. They are wobble and weave. Wobble is the fast type of 8-10 seconds, what is most oven considered handlebar shake, usually when accelerating or decelerating around 35-45 mph. The other is weave and is about 2-3 cycles per second. A steering damper can (read:might) make weave worse. Ideally, if instability of the handlebars is never an issue, then you don't need one.

Also, weave is more likely the higher the speed. I think that may have been what happened to me a couple weeks ago, that I posted about to ask others their experience. And supposedly, every bike is prone to weave if the speed goes high enough.
I remember years ago having a CB550 Honda. It handled fine with the Koni shocks I had on it. No steering damper, but it never wobbled or weaved at any speed. I sold it to a friend and was delivering it to his house. I had removed the Koni’s and put the stock shocks on it. I was riding on the highway, got upto about 75 mph and it went into a horrendous weave, the rear end felt like the tire was flat. I came close to going down.

Putting a steering damper on a bike with underperforming shock(s) is a waste of time in my view. Instability on my 550 came from the rear end. Decent shocks cured the instability even though the bike had the inadequate frame that were on all bikes of that era.

·
Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
1,609 Posts
Yes Gritty, in Europe they were around that far back. In the U.S. at that time they basically only had things they called motorcycles. I think they were called Hardly Davidson’s. 😇
Always thought it was Hardly Ableson's.

Reactions: gritty

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
My GSX has Race Tech suspension and handles fantastic. I didn’t “need” a steering stabilizer. I installed a Toby steering stabilizer, and I can feel a difference. The bike is much more planted and solid feeling in turns, especially on bumpy roads.

OP, check out my post “who wants a Toby steering stabilizer”. I did some research and discussed the Max Racing there.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I remember years ago having a CB550 Honda. It handled fine with the Koni shocks I had on it. No steering damper, but it never wobbled or weaved at any speed. I sold it to a friend and was delivering it to his house. I had removed the Koni’s and put the stock shocks on it. I was riding on the highway, got upto about 75 mph and it went into a horrendous weave, the rear end felt like the tire was flat. I came close to going down.

Putting a steering damper on a bike with underperforming shock(s) is a waste of time in my view. Instability on my 550 came from the rear end. Decent shocks cured the instability even though the bike had the inadequate frame that were on all bikes of that era.
So you sold your "friend" a bike with knackered suspension that weaved all over at 75mph. Nice. Did you then offer to sell him the good ones after he survived his first ride. Class act.

·
Registered
169 Posts
So you sold your "friend" a bike with knackered suspension that weaved all over at 75mph. Nice. Did you then offer to sell him the good ones after he survived his first ride. Class act.
No of course I didn’t mention the rear shocks were rubbish, and him being a new rider he didn’t realize they were. But, I sure did point out to him after he went into a weave, and crashed, that maybe the rear shocks needed replacemeant.

I must say he was very appreciative, and when he got out of hospital 3 weeks later, he immediately bought a new pair. And that cured the problem, which was the point of my post.

Let’s be fair Goon. Tough love is the only way to go When helping a new rider. If you had been the friend I’d of made sure that I loosened the steering head bearings as well, really made the crash spectacular.😜

·
Registered
3 Posts
i saw a post on Facebook , that max racing makes steering dampers for the gsxs 1000 and the 750 for around 330 dollars , has anyone used this brand of steering dampers , its a decent price comapred to other companies asking 500.00
I have only positive experience with Max racing damper and company in general, pretty fast shipping, solid construction. Not as sophisticated as Scott’s no angles of dampening adjustments or anything like this, but it is rotor damper and doing its job. Also my bike was stolen recently, I eventually managed to recover it but damper was damaged when thieves broke ignition lock. Guys from Max racing gave me big discount on replacement. Highly recommended, I made all orders through WhatsApp easily, they’re speaking English, no problem with this.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts