GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to buy a F model rather than a naked. My last naked was a Speed Triple and while it had a fly screen my neck muscles couldn't hold up at some of the speeds of the group I rode with. So changed to a Hayabusa - that problem was solved.;)

I test rode an F model but haven't ridden a GSX S1000 naked. Could owners tell me what the maximum sustainable comfortable speed is on the naked. Note: this is not a silly question as some naked bikes deflect the wind more than others.:|

·
Registered
355 Posts
I am planning to buy a F model rather than a naked. My last naked was a Speed Triple and while it had a fly screen my neck muscles couldn't hold up at some of the speeds of the group I rode with. So changed to a Hayabusa - that problem was solved.;)

I test rode an F model but haven't ridden a GSX S1000 naked. Could owners tell me what the maximum sustainable comfortable speed is on the naked. Note: this is not a silly question as some naked bikes deflect the wind more than others.:|
Well, it's absolutely comfortable at the legal limit of 100 km/hr >:D

What's comfortable for one rider isn't for another. Coming from a Street Triple, I'm perfectly happy with a naked bike and could happily sit at say around 120 km/hr on a long run. Maybe even more. Surprisingly, the Suzuki accessory screen does make a slight difference and pushes the wind a bit higher up the chest.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It depends on the rider and it also depends on the ambient weather conditions. On some super calm days I can motor along at 85mph with "occasional" bursts to more than a hundy with no sore neck issues. And then some days when it is gusting out I get some pretty bad neck strain. My former naked was a 2011 Speed Triple (no fly screen) and it was actually more comfortable wind wise than my GSX-S1000abs. But, overall, the GSX-S is much more comfortable for me in"higher speed" highway conditions than my Speedy was so I live with the extra wind strain and do not wish to add any wind protection to that bike. I have that on my BMW.

·
Registered
240 Posts
On the F I can comfortably cruise at 90mph for long periods which I could never do on any of my naked bikes which is why I went for the faired

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would say that the protection is better than my naked Bandit 1200. I have no issues sustaining 80mph and it is usually pretty windy here. Obviously the faired model will be better, and Suzuki does offer a small flyscreen for the naked.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I feel comfortable doing speeds at 130km/h and don't really get knocked around much.

Reactions: Jimmy and Tez79

·
Registered
288 Posts
This is my first naked and I was thinking I might have made a mistake buying it .....for about a week. I got used to the wind blast pretty quick and the only time I really notice now is if I'm riding into a head wind.
I was hitting 240ks + on my last trackday, no neck problems. ;)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hi Geoff,
It's unlikey, Hampton Downs has got a bit pricey for me. I might go to the next Taupo one and am 99% sure I'm gonna do the double days in Taupo in early March.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hi Geoff,
It's unlikey, Hampton Downs has got a bit pricey for me. I might go to the next Taupo one and am 99% sure I'm gonna do the double days in Taupo in early March.
I'm doing my first one there on the 7th. I wouldn't normally bother but the Institute of Advanced Motorists got a special deal to go in mob- handed. Reckon it will be fun but will be taking it fairly steady . I don't bounce too well at my age and plan on living a whole lot longer :)

·
Registered
866 Posts
I put an MRA windscreen on my F model and that boosted the comfortable cruising speed to 100+. I've had it at 120 on a long straight deserted road for several minutes and the wind was not an issue at all.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I put an MRA windscreen on my F model and that boosted the comfortable cruising speed to 100+. I've had it at 120 on a long straight deserted road for several minutes and the wind was not an issue at all.
That's when I envy you folks with F models. At 120 mph my naked model gets real light in the front and I back off at that point. If I were on a closed course with good pavement I might push it a little faster.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I'm doing my first one there on the 7th. I wouldn't normally bother but the Institute of Advanced Motorists got a special deal to go in mob- handed. Reckon it will be fun but will be taking it fairly steady . I don't bounce too well at my age and plan on living a whole lot longer :)
Your bike will look after you and keep you safe I reckon Geoff... I'm doing Brands Hatch Indy yet again in the spring...hoping me GSX will handle better than me SV1000....:laugh:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Your bike will look after you and keep you safe I reckon Geoff... I'm doing Brands Hatch Indy yet again in the spring...hoping me GSX will handle better than me SV1000....:laugh:
Cheers! Had many happy outings to Brands as a spectator in the days of Hailwood, Agostini and Read etc. Open mufflers, smell of Castrol R....... lovely :) . Enjoy your outing!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm finding crusing at 110kph just fine. And for reference my last bike was a busa, so I'm quite surprised I'm not finding it an issue.

·
Registered
299 Posts
It takes the body a few months to build up the neck muscles so it's natural to be sore and uncomfortable at first. I can do a 350 mile trip at 100MPH. At 120MPH it's work. My neck doesn't get sore, but it gets a little tiresome in full tuck mode with the chin of my helmet nearly touching the top of my gas tank. I can do 135 in short stints, but nothing for too long as my arms catch a lot of wind too.

All in all, a naked bike is NOT a bike for high speed highway travel. That's not what it was designed for and will not be able to hang with its full faired brothers. It's a bike that performs great in all aspects of riding, from tight twisties to urban assault to sitting in traffic to 100-120MPH highway cruising. But, if all out blistering full speed highway riding is something you're after, then look around there are some great options.

For me, my Honda CBR1000RR was the ultimate bike. Comfortable and fast. If I were going to ride like that again, I'd get another CBR.

·
Registered
211 Posts
This will sound odd but I've found that my jacket makes a difference. My current jacket makes higher speeds harder. I've been playing with the vents on it and I'm thinking that some of the air going into the jacket is blasting out the neck and pushing on the bottom of the helmet. I've closed some of the vents up a little, tightened the neck and the helmet up and long high speed freeway is better. At first I thought the little screen was pushing the air just below the helmet and causing lift on the helmet. I'm taking 130kph + anything up to 115kph is comfy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts