GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone try this damping kit? That's what they reply from the email.

GOOGLE TRADUTOR: Good Morning!

On request , following values ​​and terms of payment:

• The value of MAX20 steering damper Kit is R $ 890.00 (Brazilian currency) + shipping via bank transfer ||| US $ 279.00 on 17/08/16;
• Shipping: need to calculate the locality;
• The combination of colors can be chosen in Max Racing - Amortecedores site there have the part appearance of the simulator;
• The installation is described in the manual that goes with the product;
• Posting occurs in up to 72 hours working from the payment confirmation.

I thank your contact and look back.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It appears to me that they are a legitimate company after looking at their website. That's too many mockups to not actually be selling a product.

Does it work? No clue. Never heard of them before. IT appears that a centerpiece fits onto the bars, with a damping adjustment, and instead of the damper mounting to the frame, it sits against the front of the tank, giving you the option to dial in your damping.

It's an interesting concept, but I don't know if I trust it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The top mount steering dampers have been around a little while. TOBY's COMPANY - steering dampers and kits for motorbikes, quad, racing, road, mx are the ones that my suspension guy recommends and there are another couple of manufacturers that make them.

The quality of the internals is what is important. I couldn't see any technical information on the actual damping from a brief look through the site, which makes me nervous with parting with my hard-earned. I am interested in hearing feedback from the guy that has one installed.

Here's what my suspension guy had to say:

STEERING DAMPERS. Ohlins range of steering dampers is increasingly abysmal and frankly too many of the other brands of steering dampers on the market are fragile and generally "junky". We are now sourcing Belgian made Toby steering dampers and are very happy with them. On our suspension dyno they exhibit much less hysterisis ( resulting in a lag in damping response on stroke reversal ) than Ohlins. They are very robust in construction and are fully rebuildable and we have the tools and spare parts. In France they have been on the race winning bikes in the Bol d Or 24 hours endurance race over the last few years and you dont fit substandard steering dampers to endurance bikes!

·
Registered
18 Posts
ESXB0Y:

It's interesting what your suspension guy had to say. I had never seen a top mount steering damper before. I guess I learn something new every day. I'm looking up Toby dampers now, but I see a lot of Ebay, and I feel...nervous... about going through them.

On Toby's website there is no mention of a GSX S1000. There are plenty of Suzuki bikes there, and I would not be surprised to find that the forks were originally for another bike, so there may be one there that fits but I am not knowledgeable enough in dampers or their fitment to say for certain, especially when I don't even have my own bike yet....

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hey TacoTheTerrible,

I think the technical term is a rotary damper, where the ones that you will have seen around are linear dampers.

The Toby dampers for our bikes are still pending, unfortunately. I've asked to be informed as soon as they are available.

ESXB0Y:

It's interesting what your suspension guy had to say. I had never seen a top mount steering damper before. I guess I learn something new every day. I'm looking up Toby dampers now, but I see a lot of Ebay, and I feel...nervous... about going through them.

On Toby's website there is no mention of a GSX S1000. There are plenty of Suzuki bikes there, and I would not be surprised to find that the forks were originally for another bike, so there may be one there that fits but I am not knowledgeable enough in dampers or their fitment to say for certain, especially when I don't even have my own bike yet....

·
Registered
141 Posts
this bike does need a damper. when getting on the windy highway I've had some minor tank slap or wobble already, when you go full gas and have the front come up then down a bit

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think the technical term is a rotary damper, where the ones that you will have seen around are linear dampers.
Told you I knew nothing...... ;)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hey, don't worry about it - Google had to help me with the technical definitions! I'm no expert. I just know a damper would improve things for my riding ability.

Told you I knew nothing...... ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
I emailed 4 or 5 of the places listed in the "where to buy" links from the main page and didn't get a single response, if you figure out where to actually buy one post it please i'll experiment with it and review it, My bike wobbles a lot less now after I played with the suspension but it still just a twitch away from being a tank slapper at times and I'd love to put a damper on it

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I emailed 4 or 5 of the places listed in the "where to buy" links from the main page and didn't get a single response, if you figure out where to actually buy one post it please i'll experiment with it and review it, My bike wobbles a lot less now after I played with the suspension but it still just a twitch away from being a tank slapper at times and I'd love to put a damper on it
Find a interesting installation video for this damper.
.https://youtu.be/vbCxCO8xsfI?list=LL6G7pxsg0pHzWC5GPvqyEgg

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I email them, i think you can buy from them directly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello guys! Sorry, i took some time till i can see this topic...

About the Maxracing, its a solid company and the product is amazing.

Its my 3º bike using this system and so far so good, got it on my MT07 and MT09, now installed in the GSX S-1000. All this bikes needs an steering damper and the max racing can get the job done. Its 0-20 on-the-fly increments and work as a charm...

I recomend using. If any of you need translations from portuguese, just pm me, i will do asap!!

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've just had a phonecall from my suspension dude, who incidentally is the same one ESXBOY uses.
He's putting an order in to TOBYS COMPANY for steering dampers for the gsx s.
So they have definitely come up with something although there's nothing on their website yet.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Had the same call myself today! Called dibs on a black one.

Robert is going to send me through an article they had published in Bike Rider Magazine about steering dampers, will post that up when I get it.

Will share any detail about the Toby damper as soon as more is available.

I've just had a phonecall from my suspension dude, who incidentally is the same one ESXBOY uses.
He's putting an order in to TOBYS COMPAY for steering dampers for the gsx s.
So they have definitely come up with something although there's nothing on their website yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
A bit overpriced... They sell here in brazil for 790 reais, its like 235... But its a good product and dont know how much you paid for shipping...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts