GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have decided on new Pilot Road 4 tires. I am wanting to go with a 55 profile for easier/sharper turn-in, as many have reported. I looked at the 50 profile PR4 in the store and it has a noticeably sharper profile than stock, and also a Pirelli that was sitting there (which appeared to be similar shape to the stock tire). My concern with the 55 profile is that I don't want to make the handling feel twitchy.

I'm looking for feedback from folks who have gone to a PR4 in both 50 and 55 size, with your observations on how the handling (especially turns) compared to the stock 190/50 tire.

Also, I would be interested in knowing what tire pressure you like with the PR4. On the stock Bridgestone I tend to run 2 to 4 psi lower than recommended.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I went straight for the 55 profile PR4 from the OEM tyre and was very happy with the result. My write-up is here: Confessions of an Ageing Motorcyclist: Michelin PR 4 tyre review for anoraks . I'm now on my second Metzler Roadtec 01 and that report is here: Confessions of an Ageing Motorcyclist: Metzler Roadtec 01 end of life review . There's relatively little difference for my type of riding between the PR4 and 01. The turn-in feels marginally quicker on the 01 but I would happily use either tyre. If you go to a 55 profile, you'll definitely notice that turn-in is better than a 50.

Hope that helps a little.

Cheers,

Geoff

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have decided on new Pilot Road 4 tires. I am wanting to go with a 55 profile for easier/sharper turn-in, as many have reported. I looked at the 50 profile PR4 in the store and it has a noticeably sharper profile than stock, and also a Pirelli that was sitting there (which appeared to be similar shape to the stock tire). My concern with the 55 profile is that I don't want to make the handling feel twitchy.

I'm looking for feedback from folks who have gone to a PR4 in both 50 and 55 size, with your observations on how the handling (especially turns) compared to the stock 190/50 tire.

Also, I would be interested in knowing what tire pressure you like with the PR4. On the stock Bridgestone I tend to run 2 to 4 psi lower than recommended.
Hi there, I think going with either would be fine. Of course leaving adjustments the same on suspension the 55 would help turn in slightly, but would be minimal. The bike is what it is. I haven't used the 55 on this bike but plenty of others with 50 as standard
It's really what you get used to. The other consideration is to leave the stock 50 profile and go for a tyre profile like the older Michelin 2CT. A great tyre (even today) with a pronounced "V" shape and profile to help you tip in, with the benefit of leaving the geometry standard - which in my opinion a better way to go, for a general purpose bike which it is and to definitely avoid anything unexpected or twitchy like you say. Hope this helps
Jeffro

·
Registered
108 Posts

Good choice on tires. I would have went with the Michelin's as well but Dunlop was offering a pretty big rebate ($100) on a set of their Roadsmart 3s and some seemed to like them better so I went that direction. All in all I feel modern sport touring tires in this category are all probably pretty comparable, especially for the average rider, so a person can't go wrong either way. I posted the below response in your other thread but felt like I should throw it in here for some other future rider in the same tire dilemma that finds this post. Hopefully before these tire designs become old news themselves.

I finally got the Dunlop Roadsmart 3s on. I went against my better judgement and ordered a 55 for the rear. Don't have any huge mileage on them yet but that will soon change. First thing I noticed was the ride height in the rear, you can definitely feel it's a bit taller in the back. Didn't seem to effect anything negatively comfort-wise. The bike does seem to want to dip into turns much quicker and easier now though as reported by others. Since I changed at 3k miles I don't think I can just chalk it up to having new tires. Definitely something to going for a 55 in the rear over the OEM 50. Pretty surprising.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the helpful input. I think I'll go with the 55 since no one seems to report that it makes turn-in "too quick" or twitchy. I raised the forks (10mm to top of cap) and turn-in still doesn't feel as nimble as my V-strom 1000, which is a larger, heavier and taller bike. When I ride the Vee after the GSXS, I have to be careful on the first few 90-deg turns -- I've nearly dropped it (or felt that way) a time or two as it takes less effort to turn. Also raised the forks about the same on it - not a drastic difference but I liked the handling so have kept it. Will likely put the Gixxes forks back to stock with the 55 tire, which will keep the relative front to back height about the same.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Thanks for all the helpful input. I think I'll go with the 55 since no one seems to report that it makes turn-in "too quick" or twitchy. I raised the forks (10mm to top of cap) and turn-in still doesn't feel as nimble as my V-strom 1000, which is a larger, heavier and taller bike. When I ride the Vee after the GSXS, I have to be careful on the first few 90-deg turns -- I've nearly dropped it (or felt that way) a time or two as it takes less effort to turn. Also raised the forks about the same on it - not a drastic difference but I liked the handling so have kept it. Will likely put the Gixxes forks back to stock with the 55 tire, which will keep the relative front to back height about the same.

Hi Gary,
My comment is only a general interest, but on my VFR12F I have just replaced the OEM Road Smart1 combo. The front was done several hundred km's first. I was going to use the PR4 as they also in the approved list for my really heavy (275KG) VFR, but I went on the advice of the tyre man to use the stiffer wall PR4GT.
It's size & profile are the same as the GSXS, but has more weight over the front end. With the rear end done a week back or so, and it is a matching 55 deg profile like your GSXS. All I can say is that these tyre's just smoked the RS1 from new, and having used PR4 on many lighter bikes, I find they are first class.
With the worn rear and new front, the VFR's rear was slow to turn in, but with matching profiles - all good; no great !

Your comment on the V Strom 1000 was spot on. I finally got today a test ride on the new 18 Strom and found the rear on the first rear corner at a round a bout flicked out a wee bit on the power on. I'll PM you about my test ride, it's a bottler. :D

Rob.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Neither tire is completely worn out, but the front is still in good shape. Only a little under 3K miles on it right now. Any issues with just replacing the rear for now with PR4 and leaving the front stock?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Neither tire is completely worn out, but the front is still in good shape. Only a little under 3K miles on it right now. Any issues with just replacing the rear for now with PR4 and leaving the front stock?
Generally speaking, it's not a good idea to mix different tyres as they don't have matched profiles. It's not life-threatening or anything like that by doing so but you won't get the best handling and the new rear will wear slightly differently. I'm anal when it comes to tyres seeing they're the only thing that stops you going down the road on your arse. I always change both tyres together even though the front technically lasts longer than the rear. The conditions I mainly ride in normally means that the front is going out of shape by the time the rear needs replacing, mainly due to fairly aggressive countersteering.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I'm a 55 rear profile user on anything that come with a stupid 50 rear profile.

Just added Pirelli Angel GT A spec tires to my Concours 14 and yes I went with a 55 rear profile. Love the rear tire but hate the Pirelli front tire since I got a bad one I guess and it has the decel wobble now. shoulda stuck to what worked for me all the years, Michelins!

55 rear profile on the pig Concours 14 actually turned her into a pretty nimble big girl though.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the colored stripes on the tires mean?

·
Registered
433 Posts

One of the first things I changed on the bike and never regretted it. You have a lot more control once leaned over, turn in is quicker and easier. Never felt twitchy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the colored stripes on the tires mean?

Hi Gary,
The answer is here https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=173

Now here's another poser, why do mirror / brake master cylinder bracket clamp on the riders view side have "UP" in raised letters on it. It would seem that it could be bolted on either way up as it's just a casting. Here's one from a GSX1300R Hayabusa, but it's a common thing on Suzuki's and Honda's and it's been on there for year's. Like nobody is going to mount the entire assembly upside down - that's not going to happen ?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hi Gary,
The answer is here https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=173

Now here's another poser, why do mirror bracket clamp on the riders side have UP in raised letters on it. It would seem that it could be bolted on either way up as it's just a casting. Here's one from a GSX1300R, but it's common on Suzuki's and Honda's and it's been on there for year's.

In case you forget which side to keep the shiny bits :)

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Hi Gary,

Now here's another poser, why do mirror / brake master cylinder bracket clamp on the riders view side have "UP" in raised letters on it. It would seem that it could be bolted on either way up as it's just a casting. Here's one from a GSX1300R Hayabusa, but it's a common thing on Suzuki's and Honda's and it's been on there for year's. Like nobody is going to mount the entire assembly upside down - that's not going to happen ?
Thanks for that link...learn something new every day.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
PR4 First Ride Impressions

I did an initial ride to scuff the new PR4s. While I haven't really pushed them yet, my first impressions are very good. The bike tips into turns more naturally and holds the line easier. With stock tires it seemed the bike wanted to "push back" and took more effort to hold the turn. And as others have noted, there is no hint of twitchiness or instability.

I moved the forks back down to stock position so the bike sits a little higher, but the relative geometry front to back with the slightly larger rear is about the same as before. The only place I've noticed the different gearing is taking off in first, which I've thought was a little on the tall side to begin with. But this is very minor and I think I'll like the slightly lower RPM when on the highway. (Although it's pretty insignificant - a difference of about 150 RPM at 70 mph according to Gearing Commander.)

From the response I've seen so far, it looks like I should be able to go faster through the turns, not necessarily due to better grip, but because the steeper lean angles will feel more comfortable. I'm running 3 psi under Suzuki recommendations, mainly because of the cooler weather now and still breaking them in.

Reactions: dima_cnj

·
Registered
433 Posts
I did an initial ride to scuff the new PR4s. While I haven't really pushed them yet, my first impressions are very good. The bike tips into turns more naturally and holds the line easier. With stock tires it seemed the bike wanted to "push back" and took more effort to hold the turn. And as others have noted, there is no hint of twitchiness or instability.

I moved the forks back up to stock position so the bike sits a little higher, but the relative geometry front to back with the slightly larger rear is about the same as before. The only place I've noticed the different gearing is taking off in first, which I've thought was a little on the tall side to begin with. But this is very minor and I think I'll like the slightly lower RPM when on the highway.

From the response I've seen so far, it looks like I should be able to go faster through the turns, not necessarily due to better grip, but because the steeper lean angles will feel more comfortable. I'm running 3 psi under Suzuki recommendations, mainly because of the cooler weather now and still breaking them in.

Good review! Fully agree.

Don’t run the psi recommended by Suzuki and instead the ones recommended for those tires. Different tires will have different carcass stiffness and this different psi.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good review! Fully agree.

Don’t run the psi recommended by Suzuki and instead the ones recommended for those tires. Different tires will have different carcass stiffness and this different psi.

Where would one find this information? The only pressure recommendations I'm aware of on the tires is a maximum pressure, which is just a not-to-exceed for safety.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Where would one find this information? The only pressure recommendations I'm aware of on the tires is a maximum pressure, which is just a not-to-exceed for safety.

I run pirelli Diablo Rosso 3s and I usually set them up at the track based on some very respected people’s opinions due to track temps. Then usually I just add a bit for the street.

The manufacturer of the tires should have the recommended pressures.

Here’s my settings for the track around 32 front, 30 rear.
Street 34-39
Aggressive street, 32-35

Wish I could help yah more.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts