GSXS 1000 Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Where would one find this information? The only pressure recommendations I'm aware of on the tires is a maximum pressure, which is just a not-to-exceed for safety.
I used to run my PR4's on the road at 35 psi front and 39psi rear for one-up riding in most conditions. On the one track day I did on PR4's, the California Superbike rep who was there recommended me to drop them to 30psi front and 33 psi rear. When I came in from a session and checked them whilst they were hot, both were over 40psi.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Going for PR4's on my F. 180/55, 190/50. 190/55 or monster look 200/55?

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Going for PR4's on my F. 180/55, 190/50. 190/55 or monster look 200/55?
I don't know if the 190/50 in the PR4 is better handling than stock, but I do know the 190/55 is a sh!t-ton better than stock. Not sure how other widths would fit on the stock rim or how that would affect handling. Will leave that for others' comments.

Reactions: Simon W

·
Registered
974 Posts
Don't hold me to this but I heard today from a bike dealer friend that the pr5 are released this week, it makes sense as Michelin had $100 off here in Aus the last month, probably trying to clear them out.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Don't hold me to this but I heard today from a bike dealer friend that the pr5 are released this week, it makes sense as Michelin had $100 off here in Aus the last month, probably trying to clear them out.
Just took a look. They have dropped the pilot. They are now called 'Road 5'

http://moto.michelin.co.uk/GB/en/tyres/products/road-5.html

I was't ever keen on the look of pr4 as a fat tyre. I think these look better.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for all the helpful input. I think I'll go with the 55 since no one seems to report that it makes turn-in "too quick" or twitchy. I raised the forks (10mm to top of cap) and turn-in still doesn't feel as nimble as my V-strom 1000, which is a larger, heavier and taller bike. When I ride the Vee after the GSXS, I have to be careful on the first few 90-deg turns -- I've nearly dropped it (or felt that way) a time or two as it takes less effort to turn. Also raised the forks about the same on it - not a drastic difference but I liked the handling so have kept it. Will likely put the Gixxes forks back to stock with the 55 tire, which will keep the relative front to back height about the same.

Hey Gary, How did those PR4 55 treat you?

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hey Gary, How did those PR4 55 treat you?
Overall I still like them. However, I think I will go with the Pilot Road 50 profile on the next tire change, as at higher lean angles and slower speeds it feels a little "droppy" or unstable. I believe this is due to to the steep angle of the tread at the edges. From what I can tell the PR4 in a 50 has a steeper profile than the stock 50, so it should handle better. I'm a fairly conservative street rider, not out there dragging my knees or anything, so it may be different for a more aggressive rider.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Overall I still like them. However, I think I will go with the Pilot Road 50 profile on the next tire change, as at higher lean angles and slower speeds it feels a little "droppy" or unstable. I believe this is due to to the steep angle of the tread at the edges. From what I can tell the PR4 in a 50 has a steeper profile than the stock 50, so it should handle better. I'm a fairly conservative street rider, not out there dragging my knees or anything, so it may be different for a more aggressive rider.
Im on a 50 S22, handles just fine and is plenty grippy.
Spoke to a guy from bridgestone in Denmark, he personally thought 50/55 is more religion than anything else. Seeing as he tests and sells these things for a living, i'll take his word for it. 50 is what it ships with after all. :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
So the wider the tire the best performance? :unsure:

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
No. They are talking about wall size.
If you run a taller wall size with the same size rim you get a different profile on the tyre circumference.
The fifty five gives a slightly quicker drop in and a bigger contact patch when leaned over. If you are a more aggressive rider who likes canyon carving these are a good option for you.
Personally I run the Michelin Road five( because it gets wet here) on a fifty profile and never get left behind on the road and often lead in the wet because race rubber can’t handle the wetter colder conditions.
Horses for courses. Try a few tyres and see what suits your style

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 31 of 31 Posts