GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have just replaced the D214 tyres at a shade over 3700 km (2300 miles). I'm 68 and my surname isn't Rossi so that's pretty unsatisfactory. They gripped ok in hot, dry conditions but didn't trust them at all in the wet so it's back to Michelin PR4's which has been my all-weather tyre of choice on previous bikes.

Too early to fully evaluate them as I only had them fitted yesterday. However, on the 130 km ride home, the rate of turn-in was dramatically better than the D214's. You'd expect this with any new tyre but the PR4's have a sharper crown than the OEM tyres and are also a little narrower at maximum width and this undoubtedly helps.

There are some photos here: Confessions of an Ageing Motorcyclist: Tyre time and other stuff! and I'll periodically update how they're going.

Cheers,

Geoff

·
Registered
58 Posts
My wife just put those tires on her 2012 gsxr 750 and when it comes time I will be fitting those on my gsxs 1000 as well.

Reactions: Kiwi Geoff

·
Registered
237 Posts
Geoff, as the tip in was quicker did you go for the 55 profile or stick with the 50's?
Changing my tyres next month, not sure weather to go for PR3's or 4's

·
Registered
79 Posts
Here's a million dollar question[Don't hold me to this,I'm broke].

Has anyone fitted a set of touring tyres?. I'm considering the Pirelli Angel GT's.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Geoff, as the tip in was quicker did you go for the 55 profile or stick with the 50's?
Changing my tyres next month, not sure weather to go for PR3's or 4's
Brent,

I went for the 55 profile. No downside at all. Against my GPS, there is no discernible difference in speedo reading.

If you read the link to my ramblings on PR3 and 4 tyres, I didn't find a whole lot of difference between them. The front end felt slightly more stable with the 4’s, maybe because the sipes have a wider spacing but the 3’s were still ok. Rear tyre life was pretty comparable but the front on the 4 lasted a touch longer. They've stopped importing the 3 into NZ so I didn't have much choice!

Has anyone fitted a set of touring tyres?. I'm considering the Pirelli Angel GT's.

Dai,
The PR3’s and 4’s ARE sport touring tyres like the Angels. There is even a GT version available but GT's are normally for heavy bikes like ST1300’s. They have much stiffer carcass construction. Why would you want them on a lighter bike like the GSX-S?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Geoff, with the PR4,s did you notice any difference with the traction control, i.e. does it kick in more, or any difference with the traction handling
Tone

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Geoff, with the PR4,s did you notice any difference with the traction control, i.e. does it kick in more, or any difference with the traction handling
Tone
Tone,
Absolutely no difference in mode 2, but haven't tried it in the other modes. I think Suzuki's warning about different tyre sizes/profiles might be more to do with arse-covering with the risk of litigation if someone goes absolutely extreme. I'm thinking of those bikes with the extended swing arms and monster tyres :D

·
Registered
128 Posts

I tried Pirelli Angel's on my Daytona, as they had fantastic writeups and all looked like they should be good.

I hated them, I had very little confidence in the grip they provided, especially on cooler mornings.

If I hadn't sold the bike with them on, I would have gone back to the Pilot Road 3's or tried the 4's.

Reactions: Dai

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah i've heard mixed reviews about them but i've had good confidence about all the sets I've owned. The reason with possibly using a touring tyre is i don't go spastic and knee down or anything,i usually putt along therefore soft tyres go to waste on my bikes.I'd love a tyre that i could get 10,000kms+ and thats where I've experienced the Angels to pull those type of numbers.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah i've heard mixed reviews about them but i've had good confidence about all the sets I've owned. The reason with possibly using a touring tyre is i don't go spastic and knee down or anything,i usually putt along therefore soft tyres go to waste on my bikes.I'd love a tyre that i could get 10,000kms+ and thats where I've experienced the Angels to pull those type of numbers.
You sound like me! :) i'm expecting (hoping) the PR4's to last for 10k plus. The 3's and 4's were good for 15k on my Street Triple. The extra 20+kg of the Suzuki shouldn't add much wear and I'm mostly sympathetic with my right hand.

Several people in NZ suffered delamination with the early Angels but think it may have been a batch problem. A few of us who had the early Avon Storms had balancing issues which turned out to be a manufacturing fault in a particular batch.

·
Registered
79 Posts
After doing some research,it's going to be hard to determine what tyre to use. I may try the PR4's on this and see how it goes.

Thanks Geoff

·
Registered
219 Posts
I would suggest M7RR metzeler. perfect for everythink u name it. footpegs scratching, rain, reasonable milage.
Angel GT is also ok but its an sporttouring tire. My friend drive them on his FZ1 and hes very happy with them - grip and extra millage. Just make sure u DONT take the one for heavy load bcs there are 2 types.
PR4 i didnt take bcs they tend to give that squashy feeling when u drive them properly on edge, but they are very good for rain.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Geoff, would the PR4 (50 or 55) be OK for riding in novice class at an occasional track day?
Schmedlab: Funny you should mention that as I have my first track day on Feb 7th in the novice class :). Will let you know how I get on! Actually, a friend with an FZ1 has done a couple of trackdays on his PR4's and they stood up really well. I worked in Alabama in the 90's for a short while and the weather was superb. Do you need the wet weather properties of the PR4's? If not, the M7's would be good. A friend has them on his GSX-1000F. Not quite as good as the PR 4's in the wet in his opinion but a great tyre.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Schmedlab: Funny you should mention that as I have my first track day on Feb 7th in the novice class :). Will let you know how I get on! Actually, a friend with an FZ1 has done a couple of trackdays on his PR4's and they stood up really well. I worked in Alabama in the 90's for a short while and the weather was superb. Do you need the wet weather properties of the PR4's? If not, the M7's would be good. A friend has them on his GSX-1000F. Not quite as good as the PR 4's in the wet in his opinion but a great tyre.
Thanks For the reply Geoff. My first track day on the GSX S1000 will not be until March 20. I always ride in novice.....too old to do otherwise. I'll be interested in hearing how the PR4's work for you. I don't ride this bike in the rain unless I get caught out on a ride so I'm not too concerned about the wet weather properties. I'll take a look at the M7. Yes, the weather in Alabama is good for year round riding......no snow but gets pretty warm in July and August. We try to schedule our track days to avoid the "dog days" of summer.

Thanks for all of the contributions you make to this forum. Your posts are always well written and very informative.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I haven't found stock tyres to bad even in the wet, although I will prob go with my old favs BT023's when I do replace, and again will stick with the 50 profile and just drop yoke 5mm, what can I say, I'm a short arse and every MM counts. :)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I haven't found stock tyres to bad even in the wet, although I will prob go with my old favs BT023's when I do replace, and again will stick with the 50 profile and just drop yoke 5mm, what can I say, I'm a short arse and every MM counts. :)
Hutch,
It also depends on the road surface and at this time of year in the north island, we get a fair bit of tar bleed through the chip which doesn't help when it's wet!

Yeah I'm a shortarse too. I was only 5' 8" at best and quite a few decades have passed since then!

·
Registered
237 Posts
New tyres

Just got back from having PR4's put on.
Rode back 30 miles in fairly heavy rain so not had chance to try them out yet.
Paid £235 fitted at JC motorcycles, Plymouth.
Good price and service
Got soaked on the way back, think I should have left the tail tidy till summer

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm sry i just realized we were talking about PR4's and not PP3. PR4 is a touring tire. U cant compare it to M7rr which is a sport tire. PR4 u can compare to Z8 or Angel GT. In this case i would go with Angel GT if u dont drive heavy rain. Great tire.
Sry i didnt see it. Cheers

1 - 20 of 76 Posts