GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally my bike runs like it should after 5 years of ownership. No more low speed light throttle surge/stumble. Fueling is perfect everywhere and feels more powerful and smooth throughout the rev range, especially below 7k. Dano's tune (and retune) never got my bikes fueling correct. Not even close. My bike is a 2016 naked. Only upgrade is a K&N air filter.

Moore Mafia got it right the first time. Moore's tune is $275. Well worth the money. Chris tunes a lot of bikes like ours with different upgrades installed. He spends hours tuning his customers bikes a/f to perfection and sells us the map to match our bike and upgrades (if any). Sent my ECU Wednesday, had it back Saturday...but I'm only two hours away.

Chris has several great vids of him tuning GSXS's on you tube, check him out before you go the Dano route. Sometimes you get what you pay for ;)

Here is what was done:

Font Material property Rectangle Paper Label

·
Registered
125 Posts
The fueling and timing may be good But sorry to say it. You can not eliminate O2 sensor nor the pair valves by software alone (flashing). You can only DISABLE THE WARNINGS, but not their action. The elimination and bypassing of those items could only be done physically on the bike. You can not eliminate the exhaust servo either physically....but you can map it to 100% always on the software.

Have the Woolich software and I know what can and cannot be done by software..................... But this does not mean they could not have done a better job than Dano's on the fueling and timing....I just wish they were at bit more accurate on what they can do...................... And am definitely interested in their maps.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am considering a reflash, Can you describe the differences in detail you've felt between Danos & MooreMafia?
Well of course the biggest difference is the fueling is correct. I had not even ridden the bike yet and knew he got it correct just warming up the bike. On the road you could feel the surging/stumblig previously. Revving the bike in neutral slowly on a paddock stand also reproduced the stumble audibly. It sounded like a miss/roughness. After installing the Moore tune the miss was gone during warmup. The bike has a deeper sound on warmup too. The EXUP valve is always open now. It no longer closes on start up. Sounds more natural now. Two hours of riding confirmed what my ears heard. Power just feels smoother everywhere. On/off throttle was very good (disabling the fuel cut gets rid of the throttle snatch) with Danos tune but now its smoother. Lean bikes have quicker throttle response off idle. The extra fuel mellows it out. Have not gone near redline yet. Too many cars and cops out on the weekends. I can't wait to feel it. My Dano tune was circa early 2018 I believe. I never had any complaints about the fueling above 6K. Suzuki got the fueling pretty good upstairs right out of the box. Once you remove the ECU throttle plate and timing restrictions these bikes rip on top! Dano may very well be selling a new and improved map by now. He his tune has pleased a lot of people. He is a nice guy and my goal is not to bash him here. Just give my opinion of how each tune worked on my bike.
Here is the biggest difference for me: I know Moore mafia makes awesome maps for GSXS's because I have watched him do it on several you tube vids. You see the dyno session and progression. You see the initial pull, and you see several pulls after that and power and A/F readings for each one. You see he gets that A/F line straight folks. He explains everything he is doing. Anyone know how Dano made his maps for the GSXS? He may make his the same way...I don't know...but I know Moore does because I watched him do it. You can too:

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Danes been tuning motorcycles for like 20 years, hes a former nasa engineer but he went to tuning instead and having his own shop. there is a variable, 90% of people seem to be very happy and I am one, but maybe, altitude, fuel availbity, etc. we all know things dont work everywhere for everyone, its possible you are an outlier.

hes tuned so many of my bikes and ive loved them. schnitz I tried to give business too but hes an asshole, and I state that publicly. dont like him, and I will tell everyone how he treats customers.

oh, brocks performance is about 15 minutes from me, but I only buy parts there, never had any tuning done by them.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Danes been tuning motorcycles for like 20 years, hes a former nasa engineer but he went to tuning instead and having his own shop. there is a variable, 90% of people seem to be very happy and I am one, but maybe, altitude, fuel availbity, etc. we all know things dont work everywhere for everyone, its possible you are an outlier.

hes tuned so many of my bikes and ive loved them. schnitz I tried to give business too but hes an asshole, and I state that publicly. dont like him, and I will tell everyone how he treats customers.

oh, brocks performance is about 15 minutes from me, but I only buy parts there, never had any tuning done by them.
Yes I agree, I am one of the few that had problems. I too wondered if it was an altitude difference. I am at about 700ft in NC. I know Dano is of out of Cali not sure what altitude. Its been 4 years since the retune he did for me, and that was just a slight mod to his original 2017 map. His current map may be quite different than the one I had. I remember when I talked to him originally about the fueling changes in the tune he told me for stock bikes he just added a few percent more fuel. Nothing drastic. Problem is if you watch Moores video he states he has to add a LOT of fuel, like 25% in some areas, to get our bikes to run right. That's why I think the original Dano tune was a guesstimate based on his work with GSXR's and not an actual dyno tuned map. If worked for most, but not for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
When I looked into a flash, I chose the one with the closest altitude relative to my location. I picked Moore Mafia and am more than satisfied. They all base the tunes on dyno runs at their location. Ask a drag race tuner about changes in elevation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Chris Moore (@Moore Mafia) is the man. He knows what he's doing and backs it up with great customer service.. My 1000 feels like a completely different bike. I couldn't be happier with the performance of the bike. Supercharger (OP) is on point!

Attachments

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Took a long ride yesterday. The bike is running so good. So nice to not have that annoying surging/stumbling going on. I lived with that crap for 5 years! She pulls cleanly from any RPM now and steady throttle is super smooth. Bottom end is for sure stronger now that there is more fuel to burn. I noticed the fan is not coming on as often either. It also seems to shift better. It always shifted great but its seems even more buttery than usual. Not sure how a tune would affect shifting but it seems it has. Absolutely ZERO snatch in the throttle. Direct link between the throttle and back tire. It feels like a well sorted carb bike, which is the highest praise I can give it. Chris Moore knows what he is doing on the GSXS!

Runs so good I decided to put the 17t front sprocket back on until fuel prices come back down haha. The 16t will for sure go back on at some point. It's a lot of fun. Its very easy to change. Took me about an hour. It gets nasty under that sprocket cover!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chris Moore (@Moore Mafia) is the man. He knows what he's doing and backs it up with great customer service.. My 1000 feels like a completely different bike. I couldn't be happier with the performance of the bike. Supercharger (OP) is on point!
Glad you are happy! He is a super nice guy and very competent at what he does. His price is a bit higher, but in my limited experience with tunes, his is worth every penny.

·
Registered
7 Posts
How baddly do these remaps effect fuel mileage overall on average? Is it possible to get a remap that just smooths out the low-end, small throttle openings and leaves the rest alone for economy reasons?

I'm guessing any tune that addresses the low speed jerkiness would have the bike burning more fuel. I mostly just do long weekend trips on my '16 1000F anymore and it gets freakishly good mileage... don't want to mess with that. Would be willing to trade a small amount of range for a smoother lowend though.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
How baddly do these remaps effect fuel mileage overall on average? Is it possible to get a remap that just smooths out the low-end, small throttle openings and leaves the rest alone for economy reasons?

I'm guessing any tune that addresses the low speed jerkiness would have the bike burning more fuel. I mostly just do long weekend trips on my '16 1000F anymore and it gets freakishly good mileage... don't want to mess with that. Would be willing to trade a small amount of range for a smoother lowend though.
Yes if you disable fuel cut and add fuel across map you’ll lose mpg
How much is based on tuner

Don’t disable fuel cut or o2 sensor, and ask for just the low throttle should be fine though. Relate to tuner your concerns

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Went on a pretty spirited ride yesterday. Still managed 42 mpg with a 45t rear sprocket. i am happy with that. The improvement in power delivery is worth the trade off in mpg. It is more civilized yet more of a beast at the same time. It feels so much smoother yet stronger everywhere, especially the midrange. Night and day to what I had. I was considering replacing the GSXS because of the fueling issues. Since getting the Moore Mafia tune I love my bike again!! So much so that I ordered a K tech shock, Brembo m/c and braided lines today. I have a whole new appreciation for my bike now that it runs the way its supposed to.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just reached out the danos to adjust my slight throttle fueling. Like 1-10% throttle range in the low rpms (2k-3.5k). If I am in low rpms in that throttle range the bike seems a little hesitant. Anywhere else in the rpm range it's a dream. Very frustrating in traffic.

Also when the bike first starts up it searches for about 20 seconds then comes to a smooth idle.

I hope the reflash can fix these issues. As I know danos can. I just hate the pulling and shipping the ecu back and forth. Wouldn't at all say I am displeased just know it can be better.

Is the symptoms I am explaining close to what your gsxs had amd moore tune fixed it?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just reached out the danos to adjust my slight throttle fueling. Like 1-10% throttle range in the low rpms (2k-3.5k). If I am in low rpms in that throttle range the bike seems a little hesitant. Anywhere else in the rpm range it's a dream. Very frustrating in traffic.

Also when the bike first starts up it searches for about 20 seconds then comes to a smooth idle.

I hope the reflash can fix these issues. As I know danos can. I just hate the pulling and shipping the ecu back and forth. Wouldn't at all say I am displeased just know it can be better.

Is the symptoms I am explaining close to what your gsxs had amd moore tune fixed it?

Yes that sounds just like the issue I was having. I did not have erratic idle though. I sent my ECU back to Dano and it really made no difference at all but that was like 4 years ago now. Hopefully he has a different map now. I couldn't see sending mine back a third time. Two strikes and you're out.

Moores tune did more than just fix the surging issue. Its smooth as silk everywhere in the RPM range and pulls harder everywhere compared to the Dano tune. Night and day. Its a different bike now. If you request the same changes I had made from Moore Mafia you will be ecstatic with the result!

·
Registered
141 Posts
He told me it most likely needs to be richened up a little. I haven't spoke on the phone yet with him since sending it back. It should arrive Tuesday. I hope this fuel adjustment can get it resolved. Hate to spend more money to have it flashed.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
He told me it most likely needs to be richened up a little. I haven't spoke on the phone yet with him since sending it back. It should arrive Tuesday. I hope this fuel adjustment can get it resolved. Hate to spend more money to have it flashed.

I feel you. I spent the money to send it back and then spent another $100 to get my injectors cleaned. Report said they were not at all dirty. $300 wasted and 4 years riding a bike with crappy fueling. Sounds to me like Dano is really just guessing on the fueling sorry to say. It might need to be richened up a little....might need to be richened up a lot. Good luck.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I feel you. I spent the money to send it back and then spent another $100 to get my injectors cleaned. Report said they were not at all dirty. $300 wasted and 4 years riding a bike with crappy fueling. Sounds to me like Dano is really just guessing on the fueling sorry to say. It might need to be richened up a little....might need to be richened up a lot. Good luck.
I went and looked at your other thread/posts. Mine doesn't seem to be quite like yours. 1st could easily loop the bike out, 2nd will easily lift the front. Third I have to pull on the bars to get the front to come up. That's with rolling the throttle on, stock gearing, and full M4. I am also 6'5" and 208lb. I really think it needs just a touch more fuel.

1 - 20 of 170 Posts