GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im gonna do my first service on the bike. Which oil is recommended Motul 7100 10w40 or Motul 300v 10w40. And the filter, is hiflo a good brand for oilfilters?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Not sure on those two oils, but for the filter I have gone back to using OEM Suzuki filters.

Not that much more and gives me a little peace of mind, although I never had a problem out of the Hiflo filter with the nut that I previously used.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Assuming your bike is run in I'd suggest using the best oil you can get locally, semi or fully synthetic. Nothing wrong with HiFlo filters, they make filters for Suzuki, Yamaha and Kawasaki. If your bike is still in warranty again I'd suggest a genuine filter to prevent any potential warranty claims being refused.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Been using Rotella T-6 on all my bikes for the last 5 years. Great stuff and about $22.00 a gallon at Walmart. I like the Mobil 1 filters but the Suzuki ones I've used are fine. I change the oil at least every 2k miles. Lots of moving parts and metal inside the cases. Good luck!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Been using Rotella T-6 on all my bikes for the last 5 years. Great stuff and about $22.00 a gallon at Walmart. I like the Mobil 1 filters but the Suzuki ones I've used are fine. I change the oil at least every 2k miles. Lots of moving parts and metal inside the cases. Good luck!
I second that. I previously used Motul 7100 with great results but its expensive. Based on reviews I tried Rotella T6 and my bike runs and shifts just as good as Motul for less than half the price.

DO NOT use Motul 300 on the street. It is made for racing and the frequent oil changes that go along with it, and does not have the kind of additive package you need for longer drain intervals on a street bike.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Agreed...I've used Amsoil, Royal Purple, and Mobil 1 but at half the price Rotella T-6 works great. I don't feel I'm compromising at all with it.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I agree with most of the previous posts. I like Motul 7100 a lot, but I've also used the 300V, and it worked fine, but it doesn't seem to be intended for street use as much. I think I like Amsoil the most, but it's pricey too. I haven't used the Rotella T-6 on the GSX-S1000, but I have used it on other bikes and it worked great. You really can't go wrong with a modern semi or full synth that is JASO MA (1 or 2). I really like the HiFlo Filtro 138RC especially for the integrated nut which makes oil changes on the F a breeze.

·
Registered
506 Posts
There are thousands of threads in forums discussing oils at length, including this one.
Use the search function ;)
As long as the oil meets specification then use what your budget allows, or whatever helps you sleep at night.
Change more often, service schedule is 6000K's anyway so follow that and you will be fine.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
There are thousands of threads in forums discussing oils at length, including this one.
Use the search function ;)
As long as the oil meets specification then use what your budget allows, or whatever helps you sleep at night.
Change more often, service schedule is 6000K's anyway so follow that and you will be fine.
If we all used the search function, we wouldn't have much to post about. And hey? ... you added your 2 cents. :eek:
Besides... was the debate settled? >:D
Maybe we need dedicated sub-forums for Engine Oil, and Engine Break-In.

(unfortunately, it probably wouldn't turn out any better than having sub-forums on politics and religion). :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Shell Advance Ultra 10w-40 4T Motorcycle Engine Oil Fully Synthetic 4 Litre £23.95 and Hi flo fiter HF138 £7.25 for me. Both from the Bay

1 - 12 of 12 Posts