GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really good review in the December 2015 Motorcyclist Magazine with the four Japanese liter naked bikes. Well.... the FZ09 isn't quite a liter bike.

They did a great job of listing pros and cons of all four bikes and leaving it to the reader to decide. For me, it's between the FZ09 and GSXS1000.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I looked seriously at the MT-09 (as we call it in Australia). Yes, it's cheaper but the build quality (in my opinion) reflects the price. I found it felt less like a motorcycle than the Suzuki. I've owned bikes of all brands over the years, and always come back to Suzuki, especially when I buy brand new with the intention of hanging onto it for a while. Picking my F up tomorrow... can't wait!

·
Registered
14 Posts
As an owner of a 2015 FZ-09 and a 2016 GSX-S1000, I would definitely say go for the Suzuki. The Yamaha has a fun motor, but the pogostick-like chassis, clunky transmission, and buzzy vibrations just killed it for me. I had mine for 6 months, took a test ride on the GSX-S1000, and sold the FZ-09 as quickly as I could. The transmission on the Suzuki is super smooth, the handling is much better - more refined chassis (suspension and frame), it has very little vibration to the hands and feet, and the engine pulls like crazy.

As someone who puts 100 miles per day on a bike Monday - Friday, I can tell you that the Suzuki is no-doubt a better bang for the buck. It's much more comfortable to ride and is just an all around better package. I think it looks a little nicer too ;) I'd definitely say spend the little extra cash and go for the GSX-S1000. You won't be disappointed.

Also, I'm not sure if the PDF that was posted is from a US magazine or not, but they list the GSX-S1000 at MSRP $10,499. The base GSX-S1000 is $9,999, while the naked model with ABS is $10,499. They may cover that in the article, but it's just something to keep in mind.

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
As an owner of a 2015 FZ-09 and a 2016 GSX-S1000, I would definitely say go for the Suzuki. The Yamaha has a fun motor, but the pogostick-like chassis, clunky transmission, and buzzy vibrations just killed it for me. I had mine for 6 months, took a test ride on the GSX-S1000, and sold the FZ-09 as quickly as I could. The transmission on the Suzuki is super smooth, the handling is much better - more refined chassis (suspension and frame), it has very little vibration to the hands and feet, and the engine pulls like crazy.

As someone who puts 100 miles per day on a bike Monday - Friday, I can tell you that the Suzuki is no-doubt a better bang for the buck. It's much more comfortable to ride and is just an all around better package. I think it looks a little nicer too ;) I'd definitely say spend the little extra cash and go for the GSX-S1000. You won't be disappointed.

Also, I'm not sure if the PDF that was posted is from a US magazine or not, but they list the GSX-S1000 at MSRP $10,499. The base GSX-S1000 is $9,999, while the naked model with ABS is $10,499. They may cover that in the article, but it's just something to keep in mind.
I sold my FZ/MT 09 after six months also.

Agree with everything you say and my commute is going up from 10 miles a day to 60 miles a day so im glad ive made the move.
The 09 felt like a BMX :laugh:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think both the Kaw & Zuki are a step above the Yammy & Honda. Something to consider, the Kaw makes more power and has more torque up to 8k already. Put a full exhaust on the Kaw and it trounces the GSX in torque and that top gear roll on difference becomes a lot greater.

Also, I hate it when magazines only compare bikes/cars at MSRP. Market values are often quit different and since the Kaw has been out a lot longer there isn't much difference in market value, especially when comparing the F models.

I think it's a very tough decision between the Kaw and GSX, the only way I would be able to decide would be a test ride, which I'm hoping to do.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I think both the Kaw & Zuki are a step above the Yammy & Honda. Something to consider, the Kaw makes more power and has more torque up to 8k already. Put a full exhaust on the Kaw and it trounces the GSX in torque and that top gear roll on difference becomes a lot greater.

Also, I hate it when magazines only compare bikes/cars at MSRP. Market values are often quit different and since the Kaw has been out a lot longer there isn't much difference in market value, especially when comparing the F models.

I think it's a very tough decision between the Kaw and GSX, the only way I would be able to decide would be a test ride, which I'm hoping to do.
The Yamaha IS quite a bit cheaper though, sure it's slower but it's a different style of bike IMO. You can't really count the suspension against it because of the price difference.

I'm not sure your market value point is valid either. It seems that in my area the Suzuki is going for $9000-$9500 before ttl depending on if you want ABS. The Kawi seems to be at right about $10,000 before ttl.

Your right though, it's a tough decision between the Kawi and Suzuki. I really like the styling of the Kawi, but I'm not sure it offers much more than styling on the Suzuki. I'm not sure that you would really feel the marginal torque difference between the two bikes. The Suzuki likely spins up faster and it's also a bit lighter.

There's also no denying that the Suzuki walks all three bikes down the 1/4 mile. I'm willing to bet that 7 mph trap speed difference between the two feels like an eternity if your on the Kawi.

The Yamaha and Kawi are actually much closer in straight line performance than the Kawi and Suzuki and at that point it gets interesting to me. There's a $3,800 price premium on the Kawasaki. Sure the suspension is MUCH better, but the Yamahas suspension can be fixed for MUCH less than $3,800. There's no way the Kawi is going to drop 72 lbs.

For me though, I think I still favor the Suzuki. The Yamaha just doesn't do it for me in the ergonomics department.

I've put probably 100 miles on a FZ09 so I'm somewhat familiar with that bike, how does the Suzuki pull down low compared to the FZ09? Is there anywhere the Suzuki gives something up to the FZ09?

·
Registered
515 Posts

Don't forget to mention how the Kawi will buzz in the seat so bad that you will want off that bike in about 20 miles. It's the main reason I sold mine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Yamaha IS quite a bit cheaper though, sure it's slower but it's a different style of bike IMO. You can't really count the suspension against it because of the price difference.

I'm not sure your market value point is valid either. It seems that in my area the Suzuki is going for $9000-$9500 before ttl depending on if you want ABS. The Kawi seems to be at right about $10,000 before ttl.

Your right though, it's a tough decision between the Kawi and Suzuki. I really like the styling of the Kawi, but I'm not sure it offers much more than styling on the Suzuki. I'm not sure that you would really feel the marginal torque difference between the two bikes. The Suzuki likely spins up faster and it's also a bit lighter.

There's also no denying that the Suzuki walks all three bikes down the 1/4 mile. I'm willing to bet that 7 mph trap speed difference between the two feels like an eternity if your on the Kawi.

The Yamaha and Kawi are actually much closer in straight line performance than the Kawi and Suzuki and at that point it gets interesting to me. There's a $3,800 price premium on the Kawasaki. Sure the suspension is MUCH better, but the Yamahas suspension can be fixed for MUCH less than $3,800. There's no way the Kawi is going to drop 72 lbs.

For me though, I think I still favor the Suzuki. The Yamaha just doesn't do it for me in the ergonomics department.

I've put probably 100 miles on a FZ09 so I'm somewhat familiar with that bike, how does the Suzuki pull down low compared to the FZ09? Is there anywhere the Suzuki gives something up to the FZ09?
I'd say that the FZ09 has a bit more down low in comparison to the GSX-S1000, but not much. They both pull pretty hard down low, but the GSX-S1000 definitely pulls harder up top.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Don't forget to mention how the Kawi will buzz in the seat so bad that you will want off that bike in about 20 miles. It's the main reason I sold mine.
Which is why I am still waiting to test the Gixxus, so I can see how much it buzzes. However, my N1k lost a lot of it's buzz after 10k miles and on the kawi forums some people say a tune almost completely eliminates it.

A couple of things I can so though, you can get the N1k at a lower price and still have nearly enough $ for a full system which will put it on par with the Gixxus in performance and make it only slightly heavier, but there's really nothing you can reasonably do to the Gixxus to give it the low end grunt of the Kawi or an adjustable windscreen.

I realize I'm speaking to Gixxus owners here, but there's a reason why MCN compared then stock to stock, head to head and chose the N1k as the better bike. I'm still undecided though because I still miss that top end rush of my ZX9, but not at the expense of low down and mid-range punch. I want BOTH!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Which is why I am still waiting to test the Gixxus, so I can see how much it buzzes. However, my N1k lost a lot of it's buzz after 10k miles and on the kawi forums some people say a tune almost completely eliminates it.

A couple of things I can so though, you can get the N1k at a lower price and still have nearly enough $ for a full system which will put it on par with the Gixxus in performance and make it only slightly heavier, but there's really nothing you can reasonably do to the Gixxus to give it the low end grunt of the Kawi or an adjustable windscreen.

I realize I'm speaking to Gixxus owners here, but there's a reason why MCN compared then stock to stock, head to head and chose the N1k as the better bike. I'm still undecided though because I still miss that top end rush of my ZX9, but not at the expense of low down and mid-range punch. I want BOTH!!
That's strange, here in the U.S. all of the Mags have been saying that the GSXS is hands down in almost everyday better than the Ninja. Also, the GSXS is substantially cheaper than the Ninja here.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I found my ninja to be a very smooth bike, but it took 5000 miles of break in for that to be true.

I'm also tired of reading tests that say how bad the stock tires of X bike are. I understand you cant throw a 1000.00 dollar suspension revalve at a test bike, or exhaust or ecu remap. I get that. That bike would then be modified, and the results not valid.

Tires will be changed by every owner. In fact, if they rode the bike enough to file a report, odds are the stock tires are worn. You can go back to Cycle magazine, in 1972. If a bike had an odd trait, and was easily fixable, they did it.

The test would then read, "Bike handled oddly with the stock tires. That issue remained after we changed to...or, that issue went away when we changed to..."

The test is supposed to tell us what life with the bike will be like. Not life two months after we buy it and replace its awful tires.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts