GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, hoping someone else has had this issue. Running Motul 300v synthetic (race oil) for no other reason other than I had it handy. Now serious clutch slipping on acceleration in 2nd-4th. I ran this oil in our ninja 1000 and our Z900 and the 900 slipped a bit so I stopped using it. The GSX slips huge, so I will be changing oil out shortly, but wanted to know if anyone has had clutch slipping issues iregardless.
thanks

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
pay 6 bucks for amsoil 6 month membership or whatever it is. find some other stuff to buy, or buy 2 oil changes worth and oils and free shipping. you get 25% off the whole order. I buy my car/mower/motorcycle/etc all fluids once ever year or two. free shipping, plus the discounts and also sometimes they give you free stuff if you look at current promo page like hats or cleaners etc.

anyway, ive been running this in my sport bikes for 7-8 years, never missing a beat. from street to stunt to track use.
I also use amsoil in my cars, in scooters, motorcycles, mowers, etc. everything runs great, even got it inside my backup generator.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I would have discontinued use immediately after experiencing the clutch slippage in the Z900 and never used it again. I certainly wouldn't have tried using it again in another more powerful bike. That oil is really designed for extremely hard use applications with very short oil change intervals and isn't very well suited towards street use. Definitely recommend getting it out of there as soon as possible and replacing it with something else before putting anymore miles on the bike and risking your clutch being destroyed.

·
Registered
2016 f
701 Posts
its described as suiting wet clutches so i am surprised it would affect your clutch, oil co.s spend up large on designing their blends, maybe it had been contaminated with another oil ?, anyway if its affected the clutch pack allowing slipping it may require replacing the clutch friction plates, ive had this happen in another bike, it stuffed the plates, had to replace them all.

·
Registered
718 Posts
even if you flush it with some fresh oil?
It depends how much abuse the clutch plates were subjected to before the problem was noticed and while it was happening. If the clutch is damaged, it's damaged. Fresh oil won't change that. If it was in fact the Motul 300V causing the slipping, new oil may help prevent it from slipping as much as it did with the Motul, but it certainly won't reverse any damage that's been done. Hopefully he parked the bike immediately after noticing the issue, therefore preventing any further wear or damage to the clutch. It doesn't take much to render a clutch toast if someone is really beating on it while it's slipping, so hopefully he had enough sense not to do that.

·
Registered
718 Posts
its so weird that fluid can permanently damage a metal / surface. I figured it was just an agent film on it, wash it away and put better stuff, and its like never happened.
The fluid/oil may be the reason the clutch is slipping, but it's not what is actually causing the damage. When a clutch slips, it generates a tremendous amount of heat and friction very quickly. This heat and friction is what damages the friction material and the plates.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
gotcha. so the fluid lets it not shed heat, the heat got hot enough and causing slipping, swap fluid, but the heat overtime could of overloaded/shredded/did what clutch do and detertioate.

myself, id swap fluids and ride it, til it absolutely showed signs of needing replaced before I did a full replacement.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Won’t be able to get to bike until next week, will swap fluid first and see how it responds. The Z900 if I remember on the forum had a few complaints about the clutch, I changed out oil and it was fine. I had run same oil in ZX14 and ninja 1000 (tuned) with no complaints, I don’t put a bunch of Km’s on bikes usually. Yes, hopefully clutch is not fried, won’t know for a little while, this bike is becoming a project for sure

·
Registered
2016 f
701 Posts
Friction modifyers are what stuff the friction plates, the steel ones you can buff, but the friction ones absorb the oil, "if" it is such that have caused the slippage, the friction disc's need replacing, i beleive i read that motul 300v is high in ester, that is a friction modifyer, but it can usually work with wet clutches, ii use some penrite eng oils high in esters, havent had an issue with that causing clutch slippage

·
Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
2,439 Posts
Not the stuff talked about here but I used Motul Semi Synth in my previous bike, no problems.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Talked with local mechanic in our town, told me to dump oil, run mineral 10/40 in for 20kms, then dump it, then run usual oil. Won’t get worse but may be ok. And if I need to change disks, so be it.
so dumped oil, had only 300kms on it, but definitely burnt. Ran it for 20kms (not hard), ran fine, no chattering on take offs, but it only slipped on hard acceleration.
prayed over it,hoping for best case, but looks like a kit is right around the 200 dollar mark from EBC, and if I have to do it, then get to learn something new

1 - 20 of 29 Posts