GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Another newbie Tom from the UK :nerd:

I had a yamaha MT07 for 12 months and then moved onto an MT09 for the last six months as it originally felt like the natural progression. I kind of just walked in the dealership and pointed at the next model up.

Unfortunately for my pocket it seems I went to my Yamaha dealership to have some new Michelin PR4's fitted and noticed the new GSXS sitting in the corner (the dealership sells Suzuki's too). I decided i needed to at least keep my new bike for 12 months before even considering another bike, but i just cant get the GSXS out of my head.

I must admit the headlight has grown on me and it appears i can swap out my MT09 quite easily for the Suzi.

Going to have a test ride this Friday and hopefully get one ordered in.

Dont get me wrong i really like the MT09 although at 6'2" and 100kg I make it look pretty small (i noticed the seat heights are the same but im hoping the extra width will make it better suited).

One gripe i do see with the GSXS though is the Dunlop D214's. I had these on the MT09 and the front always seemed to loose traction.

Anyone finding any issues with the dunlops or are they better planted on these?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Got to say Im not loving the dunlops after having the pr3s on my 600, I hit some shallow running water running across the road lastnight on the entrance to a bend to say my arse gripped the seat is an understatement. Done the same in the past on the pr3s and never budged. Just gotta wear these dunlops out and get shot but apparently they are only good for 3000 miles ish

·
Registered
237 Posts
Not had any problems with the Dunlops myself but may look at others when the time comes.
I test rode an MT09 before the Suzuki, and to be honest don't see why it is so highly rated, the wind noise from the screen was horrific and the front felt like a pogo stick! didn't have long on the bike as war raining and had the GSXS test ride booked but think I made the right choice.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I'm not a great fan of Dunlop and will be getting rid as soon as.
The D214's aren't bad in the dry they just don't give me a lot of confidence compared to my favourite Bridgestones. I've not ridden in the rain as I don't want to get the bike wet.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah the suspension is a joke. It didnt seem to matter what weight you were everyone pretty much hardens the front up as much as possible.....boing boing!

Landy that sounds about righ for the rear on those dunlops. Mine had done about 2800 on the MT09 but the front looked like new!

I will miss the akrapovic but from the videos ive seen the engine note/induction on the GSXS sounds good.

Hopefully better in the flesh

·
Registered
437 Posts
I will miss the akrapovic but from the videos ive seen the engine note/induction on the GSXS sounds good.

Hopefully better in the flesh
I always wore moulded plugs in my ears on the 600, didnt wear them when I first got the gixxus, wore them once out on the gixxus and missed the noise so dont wear them now. If I go deaf at least Im gonna enjoy it :D

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm not a great fan of Dunlop and will be getting rid as soon as.
The D214's aren't bad in the dry they just don't give me a lot of confidence compared to my favourite Bridgestones. I've not ridden in the rain as I don't want to get the bike wet.
U should realy try Sportec M7RR for the next pair. Just great.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well i went out for a test ride and was blown away. Ive ordered a naked abs in red/black. <br />
<br />
I pick it up this wednesday....wahey!

Just to add the seat, suspension and engine are all better.

I actually feel like im getting a proper bike this time.

·
Registered
81 Posts
How would you compare the power to the mt 09?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I test rode an MT 09 the same day that I test rode the GSX-S 1000 , the engine on the mt was very good but not in the same league as the GSX. As for the chassis on the mt , it was awful way to much flex like being on a pogo stick when you to start to push it hard, just felt like the bike was hinged in the middle, think Yamaha spent all the money on the engine & had none left for the Suspension .

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I was surprised how quickly the mt09 was running out of puff compared to the gsxs. <br />
Mt09 is great for around town and commuting but didnt have the wow factor for me.<br />
<br />
And it about broke my nuts too. Ive just done 150 miles for a short break and im doing its last 150 to the dealership to hand it over in wednesday.<br />
<br />
Ill probably walk in there like john Wayne.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Thanks for that, was undecided about the top protector but I'll get one now as it looks good on your bike.
The swingarm and fork protectors where did you get them from?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Thanks for that, was undecided about the top protector but I'll get one now as it looks good on your bike.
The swingarm and fork protectors where did you get them from?
Power bronze as they were black and red :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts