GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i just bought a suzuki gsx-s1000 2016!

What do you guys think is the must have mods ?

I already got a yoshi r11 slipon, considering to buy the yoshi headers too!
Do i have to get it dyno'd?powercommander? what do you recommend

·
Registered
59 Posts
WOT position reset, rear shock and new rubber. Then you are good to go. I do like my Ermax bikini fairing, but just because. Next is a Danos tune, but those others are first IMO.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Do you like the bike the way it is? Throwing money at a bike is a slippery slope.
I must admit i started looking into mods based on other peoples ownership experiences, all of the changes i made were improvements though sometimes ignorance is bliss. Change what you feel needs changing, i've spent more money than most on my 2018 and would do it again though i would prefer to never have wanted to in the first place.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Quality shorty levers, PUIG windscreen, integrated tail lights, slap the license plate on bottom of bike with double sided sticking tape. money.

oh the biggest best comfort... ECU FLASH!

I toss ASV levers on every bike I get, and a Puig screen on sport bikes that they have something for. and dano perf has also been flashing my suzukis for like 8 years now.

·
Registered
228 Posts
By far the best mod I have done is a replacement rear shock. I went for Nitron but any quality unit set for your weight will transform the bike. I avoid Bling so my other mods have been decat headers, ECU flash and decent tyres. Pads will be changed for EBC when needed.

Reactions: JTM65

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
best mod was getting a race shield from MRA mostly highway use it works other then that nothings a must a me.......my tail section cracked was flopping up and down so tidy tail went on ... wasnt a must but my cover fits over the bike better now so its a plus

·
Registered
327 Posts
If you are going to replace the rear shock, the forks, the tires, rims, calipers, the seat, the headers, the muffler, the chain, handlebars, battery, do the ECU flash, etc. What is left to replace in the bike? The chassis or the engine?

Those mods are about $7K or more and still I don't think that you will be 100% happy with the bike.

My advice to you is just buy other bike. Perhaps what you enjoy more is replacing things rather than ridding the bike.

I did the decat and ECU flashing and the bike runs fine but I lost all the engine breaking which is the most important safety feature for me than all the upgrades combined.
I may go back to stock. I ****ed the bike, and the worse part is that my time, work and money invested will never get it back. 😢

·
Registered
38 Posts
I may go back to stock. I ****ed the bike, and the worse part is that my time, work and money invested will never get it back. 😢
Sadly, this is so true. If you have to make one or two easy mods to make the bike your own, that's cool. But when you start spending big cash to "revamp" the bike, it's just the wrong ride for you.
For my purposes, the stock suspension and power delivery are great on my '18F. Other than the cash spent on a new seat, I REFUSE to mod anything as I've spent thousands on a bike previously only to trade it in on something new down the road.
All this said, some people just love to take a good platform (K5 engine) and rebuild everything around it.... my wallet is not that big. Lol.

·
Registered
671 Posts
There's nothing wrong with spending money on mods, each to their own.
After all of my mods i have a perfect bike that is still cheaper than a stock bike from the competition.
I feel that you shouldn't ask others for opinions on "necessary" mods.
Ride the bike and make changes based on your experience, that's all that matters.

·
Registered
671 Posts
If you are going to replace the rear shock, the forks, the tires, rims, calipers, the seat, the headers, the muffler, the chain, handlebars, battery, do the ECU flash, etc. What is left to replace in the bike? The chassis or the engine?

Those mods are about $7K or more and still I don't think that you will be 100% happy with the bike.

My advice to you is just buy other bike. Perhaps what you enjoy more is replacing things rather than ridding the bike.

I did the decat and ECU flashing and the bike runs fine but I lost all the engine breaking which is the most important safety feature for me than all the upgrades combined.
Sorry mate this is terrible advice. The gsx-s is great, obviously not for everyone and i guess your'e in that camp.
Engine braking is personal, i loved the engine braking on my sv1000s but requiring it as a safety feature just illustrates a lack of riding ability. I fail to see how that would make or break your riding experience.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I don't think there are any "must have" mods. Mine was fine off the showroom floor. My "favorite" mods? Rear shock, bar-end mirrors, NEP-CC4 (with new pro-grips). It's now a great bike made even greater. ;)

·
Registered
375 Posts
The following are not necessary but certainly improved the bike from its restricted and built to a budget form.
-ECU flash to remove restrictions and improve fueling delivery.
-Rear shock to improve ride and handling.
- Decent quickshifter.......... Sorry this one is purely for fun and pleasure. 🙂🙂

Reactions: Simon W

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
My first mod was a front fender extender.
Unfortunately I ride in the rain occasionally and when stopping at traffic lights I’d get so much steam coming up through the fairing my clocks fairingscreen and visor would all steam up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts

If you used dano send it back he can turn braking back on, I despised the engine braking on every bike. I prefer a smooth slow down using brakes vs engine braking

Woolich is toggle on off in settings for engine brake. I just put a 20 in the box when I needed adjustments to flash

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have zero qualms with stock suspension. I haven’t even set it. I just get on and ride, gf and me both comfortable. I feel the brakes, forks, everything is fine.

I spent 700 painting it. Lol no regrets. I enjoy the bike. Idc about resell

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm agreeing with Cainus in this camp. Manufacturers are put in a tough spot with meeting emissions requirements and producing a cost effective bike. Then you have to worry about safety features required in different countries/states. Ergonomics that fit the estimated target audience. Etc.

Most motorcycles produced are a compromise to try and make as many people happy as possible. Everyone from government, to dealers, to press, to the end consumer.

If you want a bike that really turns you on you have to build it yourself. I just bought an unmodded 2018 DR-Z400SM with the full understanding that it would be a turd until I opened it up. They're so lean from the factory that they're terrible to ride. Airbox mod and a jet kit later and it's actually opening up a bit. Next will be an exhaust and new tires and I think I'll have a bike I can have fun on. BUT I knew that before I ever sat on it.

I feel sorry for engineers that have to send a bike to the showroom floor knowing what it could be. What it should be. But they can't realize that potential due to all the regulations in place. I feel like it makes them happy to see us modding and bringing out the full potential. And who am I to keep happiness from someone?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Stainless brake lines and better brake pads, as well as dump the stock exhaust. I wanted to hear the great engine noise. i did get a tune, and it has noticeably more power and no issues! It does not disappoint!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I dont understand the hate on the stock exhaust end can, I mean the thing is literally a straight through pipe. Lol. remove the cat with a little mid pipe, the thing is loud, but throaty.

·
Registered
327 Posts
This achieves my ultimate nice sound/noise but I have not found a mid link pipe to connect this muffler. I had to do a Micky mouse just for testing purposes while I find the med link pipe.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I dont understand the hate on the stock exhaust end can, I mean the thing is literally a straight through pipe. Lol. remove the cat with a little mid pipe, the thing is loud, but throaty.
Surprisingly, I actually like the stock exhaust.

I am thinking of getting the kit from Woolich with the logger to record A/F ratios to fine tune without a dyno. With that, a new exhaust can be fitted to reduce weight. But is it worth it? Maybe. Background: Had a 1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200 that I modded with the larger bore high compression JE pistons, degreed cams, head work. Did all the work myself, so reasonable. Dynoed. The end result? Where the GSXS starts. After I totaled my 99 Bandit in 2005, I got another Bandit. A 2001. Did NOTHING to it and was perfectly happy until this year. It ran awesome, started easily, and was amazing. Still have it along with my GSXS. But it is almost 20 years old and has been ridden hard. Shows it. And is starting to feel it. Still keeping it. :) So, the question is, is it worth putting a bunch of money into a new bike that starts where my highly modded old Bandit left off? Not sure. Yet.... stay tuned! (no pun intended).

Attachments

1 - 20 of 48 Posts