GSXS 1000 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Sorry mate this is terrible advice. The gsx-s is great, obviously not for everyone and i guess your'e in that camp.
Don't get me wrong, I agree 100% with you, the bike is great for the money, but if one is going to spend $7K or more in mods it is much cheaper to get the Suzuki Hayabusa, Katana or similar competitor.

Engine braking is personal, i loved the engine braking on my sv1000s but requiring it as a safety feature just illustrates a lack of riding ability. I fail to see how that would make or break your riding experience.
Mate, everything is personal. How is not a safety feature engine breaking when you don't even have to use the regular brakes? Engine breaking is much more effective than regular brakes period. It is one of the best attributes that I first noticed in the bike.

Bad breaking or bad stopping is one of the major causes of accidents in motorcycles, but with this kind of engine breaking on this motorcycle I was overjoyed that I did not have to even touch my regular brakes to give me a full control of a critical stop. All I had to do was to release the throttle and all was perfect. How bad can this be? when I don't even have to replace the brake pads for much longer time?

Also, I have learned that we need to be patient, well informed, spend money, have time to do a good job and don't expect a miracle after the mods.
It is very dangerous to work in a bike, you may think that your are making your bike better but it takes only leaving a screw loose and you may get killed.

·
Registered
331 Posts
If you used dano send it back he can turn braking back on,
Thanks for you suggestion, I'll talk to Dano's see what he says.

I despised the engine braking on every bike. I prefer a smooth slow down using brakes vs engine braking
Well, it depends on what kind of traffic conditions you ride. For ridding on a track perhaps you don't even need/use brakes, there is nothing to stop for, but in Los Angeles Fwys there are millions of cars around me and have to stop in 2 milliseconds. Not time to hit the regular brakes.

Woolich is toggle on off in settings for engine brake. I just put a 20 in the box when I needed adjustments to flash
I'm happy that works for you mate.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Surprisingly, I actually like the stock exhaust.

I am thinking of getting the kit from Woolich with the logger to record A/F ratios to fine tune without a dyno. With that, a new exhaust can be fitted to reduce weight. But is it worth it? Maybe. Background: Had a 1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200 that I modded with the larger bore high compression JE pistons, degreed cams, head work. Did all the work myself, so reasonable. Dynoed. The end result? Where the GSXS starts. After I totaled my 99 Bandit in 2005, I got another Bandit. A 2001. Did NOTHING to it and was perfectly happy until this year. It ran awesome, started easily, and was amazing. Still have it along with my GSXS. But it is almost 20 years old and has been ridden hard. Shows it. And is starting to feel it. Still keeping it. :) So, the question is, is it worth putting a bunch of money into a new bike that starts where my highly modded old Bandit left off? Not sure. Yet.... stay tuned! (no pun intended).
Very nice bikes! Thanks for sharing your pics.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Sorry @john2019 I highly disagree on so many points. A mod is likely to cause an accident? Heavy engine braking is essential for rider safety? These aren't a stretch, they are plain loony. You seem like a really nice guy but I swear I lose IQ points when I read some of your posts.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sorry @john2019 I highly disagree on so many points. A mod is likely to cause an accident? Heavy engine braking is essential for rider safety? These aren't a stretch, they are plain loony. You seem like a really nice guy but I swear I lose IQ points when I read some of your posts.
Guess I lose IQ points... but I get it about the engine braking. As soon as the throttle lets off you start slowing. Normally. Helpful in stop and go. I have been on LA freeways and understand.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Well I agree to disagree with you. You seem like a really nice guy also, I have my good reasons to post my opinions here based on my own experiences and other people experiences or knowledge. Also based on investigations that had been made after a motorcycle accident. I have friends and relatives in the police dept, paramedics people, hospitals, insurances companies, lawyers, know great mechanics, I my self am a good mechanic, so I have seen one or two things.

I'm a new rider, I started ridding on December of 2018. What do I know? But even before ridding I was doing a lot of research about motorcycles, taking classes, reading books from motorcycle instructors and experts on motorcycles, practicing a lot, actually serious practicing on the roads that I ride every day, etc. but even acquiring all this knowledge I don't claim being better than you or anybody else. So far I have not dropped my bike or have had a close call, (knocking wood). But I did not just put my helmet on without even getting proper training and started ridding my bike.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If I want to stop, I have perfectly fine front and back brembo brakes. Everytime I let off throttle I don’t want to be lurched forward and slowing to a hault. Just tedious for enjoyment. I’d rather put the strain on the brake pads than the engine everyday.

·
Registered
331 Posts
If I want to stop, I have perfectly fine front and back brembo brakes. Everytime I let off throttle I don’t want to be lurched forward and slowing to a hault. Just tedious for enjoyment. I’d rather put the strain on the brake pads than the engine everyday.
Good for you though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Biggest and safest mod to me on mine was changing out that horrible headlight to a brighter bulb. The oem bulb is not good and was angled poorly on my bike. 2nd mod for me was frame, case, wheel sliders/armor. 3rd was a tail tidy. Next set your throttle cable to your liking and check tps position but these don't cost anything. The bike has more power then anyone would ever need in stock trim. I plan on piping and doing the danos flash because I like to tinker and prefer to get the flat spot out and kill the engine braking, but it certainly is not needed at all. I also have a 2016 s

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
DAno’s ecu flash. Make sure it so smooth and more enjoyable. Also add a bit more power if that is your thing. But honestly, it is a 1000 which has tons of power already.
As far as exhaust goes, only get it if you are in it for looks or sound. Dollar for dollar even a full system is only going to yield minimal gains. Much you will never notice and may possibly hurt things down low.
The flash is the best sub $250 you will ever spend on this bike.
Some vesra rjl pads up front. Outstanding stopping power and great bite without sacrificing and street braking requiring no warm up.
If money is no issue, rear shock for your weight and set up. Lastly tires.
Honestly the bike is really good from the factory.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I’m glad you guys enjoy Danos flashes, he’s taken care of me as a customer and I always throw his name out to any Suzuki bike owners. It’s the best thing you can do.

gsxrs and gsxs.

only thing that made me sad, isn’t dano. But woolich themselves licensing changed. Gsxsrs he can do for for $80 but he said the gsxs license is 100 more for him or something like that

hence our 180 price. But that is still not unreasonable

·
Registered
228 Posts
It took me a long time to commit to modifying my second GSXS as I liked it stock. Practical changes USB and 12v power outlets and SW Motech panniers were no problem but I knew that the decat mod would need a reflash and maybe other changes too.
Finally got my mods done at the 7500 mile service.

Shock £600 is by far the best mod. I thought I had set the stock suspension up well and had learned to hold on tight with my legs and heels. For me the rear shock improves ride, comfort and handling to such an extent that it fixes one of the GSXS' biggest flaws, even though I didn't realise it until after the change. Years of poorly suspended bikes making me used to coping with a bucking bronco. It was hard to justify to replacing a component that wasn't broken & wouldn't add horse power, it is a bargain for the confidence it inspires, not to mention added grip and corner speed over lumpy roads.

Less impressed with decat headers, only fitted as I hated the ugly mid box (AKA the Turkey Tray). Kept stock end can because I wanted the bike to look a stocker and consider £700 for an end can to be excessive. While it looks fine and saves loads of weight, it is too loud for a daily ride. Possibly made worse when I removed the airbox baffle- which has been refitted for a small reduction in noise. My previous GSXS had a weld in decat and kept the exhaust valve, the woolwich flash modulating it with throttle position and RPM. I remember it being considerably quieter than my current set up at least up to mid throttle. Currently looking for a mute to go in the stock can, maybe another mod to refit the exhaust valve or even refit the stock headers with a decat link pipe. As I said, not particularly happy with the excessive noise.

Ecu reflash is a necessary evil to fix the lumpy idle and 2200rpm flat spot after the decat. I developed a deft touch on the throttle and learned to manage any snatch throttle issues most of the time. I like stock engine braking too, ideal for scrubbing off speed on the road. Other gains from a remap? Pulls harder in all gears, smoother than stock with decat and perhaps marginally smoother than stock with cat, turkey tray and valve. Unrestricted in all gears with 12.2k rpm and 160 hp peak is great for bs bar chat but little to no use on the road where most of my riding is normally between 4 and 7 thousand revs.

I don't consider tyres to be a mod as they are only changed when needed,Tried Road 5, Angel GT & Road tec 01 all perform admirably providing plenty of grip over their 6 to 7k life.

Have a set of HH pads waiting to be fitted when the stockers finally wear out, upgrade when needed rather than a mod.

Only bling thing is a tail tidy for summer use, the stock tail goes back on for winter and high mile touring, Keeps the back of my jacket cleaner for longer.

Spent about £1100 on it so far, and only really happy with the shock. May cost me more to get the exhaust sorted to my taste. Is it worth it over stock?. Shock yes- Exhaust probably not. ECU reflash: Possibly but wouldn't have done it but for the exhaust. Think hard before you commit to tuning mods to your stock bike because they typically incur more work and expense for relatively little practical gain.

I really like the GSXS and this bike is a keeper and have no desire to replace it, may supplement it with something like a 400 or 600 in the future.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I dont understand the hate on the stock exhaust end can, I mean the thing is literally a straight through pipe. Lol. remove the cat with a little mid pipe, the thing is loud, but throaty.
I kept my stock can on my phantom F just like the fact it blends in. BW headers have really changed the sound of the bike for the better..
with you on this on.

·
Registered
226 Posts
A must have mod for me after doing it a few weeks ago that costs nothing and makes your exhaust sound better is removal of the sound baffle in the intake box.

Every time I crack the throttle a good amount I feel my shoulders move back. There's a definite torque hit that wasn't there before.

And a very pleasant surprise is the increase in that braap sound our bikes are known for ... honestly, it now sounds closer to an Aprilia V4 than it ever has. And this is all on stock exhaust.

I absolutely love this bike ... the engine has tons of usable power low & mid but still rips in the top end and sounds awesome as I now have it just with the above mod. The only thing I'll eventually do is the rear shock.

Reactions: gritty

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, i just bought a suzuki gsx-s1000 2016!

What do you guys think is the must have mods ?

I already got a yoshi r11 slipon, considering to buy the yoshi headers too!
Do i have to get it dyno'd?powercommander? what do you recommend
I went with a mail-in refresh, very pleased with the results, next up is the suspension. I just ordered a Race Tech shock and will have them rebuild my forks this winter. Thinking about a full system Yoshi.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, i just bought a suzuki gsx-s1000 2016!

What do you guys think is the must have mods ?

I already got a yoshi r11 slipon, considering to buy the yoshi headers too!
Do i have to get it dyno'd?powercommander? what do you recommend
Just picked up S2Concepts windscreen faring...BEST LOOKING OF ALL THE OTHER ONES LOVE IT!!!!

21 - 40 of 49 Posts