GSXS 1000 Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had my ECM flashed and the bike had an aftermarket slip on when I bought it. I had it decatted and didn't like the fuel mileage that I lost so I reverted back to stock. I also went back to stock with the slip on. I have a fender eliminator but only because the Yoshimura that came with the bike was crap. I have a powerbronze windscreen for in town and a CalSci for highway riding. I added an integrated tail light too because I like them but had to get a flasher module to get rid of hyperflash. I had the ECM flashed because the decel felt like a parachute opening behind me and it fixed the throttle snatch problem too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For me, a ECU flash to remove restrictions was the best change, shock next for when pushing on, other than that, a pipe, brake pads, levers are all personal preference. It is a good bike right out of the box.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Reading through all these comments, I have to say I agree with those saying the stock exhaust with decat is too loud with stock can. I bought a toro slip on that actually muffles the sound to a nicer deeper sound but it still bugs me, I’ve had it mapped and we decided to use the valve to quite it down at idle and low revs low throttle which helps smoothen everything but still drones on cruise. I can use baffle but fuel map will probably need to be modified for best results or I’m quite tempted to go back to stock exhaust with slip on and have it mapped like that.

just my opinion on exhaust mods as that’s the only major I’ve done.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The louder the better! This was the reason why I decat my bike. Cars notice you better, if you got a very quiet bike you most likely will be run over by a car or truck, unless you ride on the jungle where there are no cars, but here in Los Angeles, there are millions of cars and we legally can do lane splitting.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have stock headers, stock end pipe, just mid pipe with decat. I left the flapper functioning and removed o2 sensor And removed air box restrictive and added kn air fikter

quiet til wot. Screams. But it’s quiet cruising

·
Registered
279 Posts
Stainless brake lines and better pads. My brakes are very, very good now. (Were soft on initial bite before.) I’m a track guy on some of my other bikes, so I like more bite than stock gave. That being said, HH pads and HEL brake lines made these brakes very good To me for street use. I also love my full exhaust and tune, and LED headlight bulb. Mine is a naked.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'm still running stock exhaust and I'm not changing it.
But I've done the woolich tune, k-tech front and rear, fender eliminator and $30 bar end mirrors.
The only bikes I would change the exhaust on are V2 or V4.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was overjoyed that I did not have to even touch my regular brakes to give me a full control of a critical stop. All I had to do was to release the throttle and all was perfect. How bad can this be?
Totally disagree with you. I hope a newer rider doesn't read your post and think that engine braking is what he should be doing and "not even touching" his regular brakes during a "critical stop". Especially if they don't have a slipper clutch. Yes the GSX-S has one, but if you are on a bike without one and attempt heavy engine braking via downshifts, there is a very good chance you are going to lock up the rear.

Also if you are using engine braking to perform "critical stops" your brake light is not being used. If you are doing this in LA traffic, especially at night, well you are eventually going to be in a world of hurt from the guy behind you. Do yourself a favor john2019, learn to use your normal brakes, particularly in a "critical stop" situation.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts