GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, the Street Triple has gone to a lovely couple in northern NZ and I picked up the new toy from Auckland yesterday. Surprisingly for a large capacity bike, it feels very much like my Street Triple in terms of ergonomics and manoeuvrability which is probably a strong reason why I've gone for it. Oh, and the seat is low enough for this shortarse to get both feet flat! The dealer set the traction control in Old Fart mode for the 190 km trip home, which I hope was a reflection of new tyres rather than my age:D . Even though conditions were dry, I noticed that the traction control was cutting in on a few tight corners as the tyres scrubbed in and confidence increased.

Too early to make any major assessment other than it's really easy to ride and sounds terrific with the little stubby can. My butt ached a bit in the last few km of the journey but will probably get used to the new seat - either that or it will get an Airhawk like the Triple. Got a small screen on back order and having matte 3M clearfilm applied to some parts of the bodywork and a fenda extenda is on order along with crash knobs. Looking forward to getting some k's on it and growing older disgracefully!

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Dude, that's some back drop there, beautiful country!! Stroke that bad boy, it'll only make it more anxious:) Side note, mine was really stiff, the bike, and actually went out to pretty soft setting, I chase the rear a little in the corners but the overall ride is better, I also prefer no traction control unless it's wet, but that's just me, I road raced for years without it and at street speeds, I can't imagine a big highside.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! We have a place overlooking Coromandel Harbour and the Peninsula has one of the better biking roads in the north island, called the Coromandel Loop.

Yep, I found everything a bit tight too and it skittered over bumps, although not badly. Your road racing experience would have helped no end. In a past life, I drag raced a supercharged Triumph, but that was because of my inability to go round corners without falling off :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Congrats! Bike looks stunning!

I'm in the same predicament, I also own a Street Triple and am seriously considering this beast! Look forward to hearing a longer/opinion review of your new GSX S 1000!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congrats! Bike looks stunning!

I'm in the same predicament, I also own a Street Triple and am seriously considering this beast! Look forward to hearing a longer/opinion review of your new GSX S 1000!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks Jccc. I'll put a "first impressions" on the blog in a day or two before those impressions fade and maybe a longer term review in a few months. I would have really liked to hang out for the Triple 800, but who knows how long we'll have to wait?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Dude, that's some back drop there, beautiful country!! Stroke that bad boy, it'll only make it more anxious:) Side note, mine was really stiff, the bike, and actually went out to pretty soft setting, I chase the rear a little in the corners but the overall ride is better, I also prefer no traction control unless it's wet, but that's just me, I road raced for years without it and at street speeds, I can't imagine a big highside.
Hi Geoff - Enjoy the new toy when it stops raining.

Ireek -per quote above - -I find front end a bit stiff even on lowest preload- any suggestions on rebound and compression clicks to soften for light 68 kg rider?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Geoff - Enjoy the new toy when it stops raining.

Ireek -per quote above - -I find front end a bit stiff even on lowest preload- any suggestions on rebound and compression clicks to soften for light 68 kg rider?
I know how to measure and set up front and rear sag properly as I've done it for both the Blackbird and Street Triple when I upgraded the suspension. Sadly, I'm in the same boat with the new one and will start experimenting when everything has bedded in. I'm 76 kg in my socks :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Congrats and lots of fun with your bike....good choice :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Geoff, I seem to bump into you on forums all over the world. We must meet up some time. I also have been looking to replace my street triple but it's such a good bike it's hard to replace. The s1000f is top of my list. I rode it and found it very similar in position and response. I found the f had very good aerodynamics at speed and I'm looking for a bit more wind protection for longer trips. It also does about 1000rpm less at 110 kph although still sounds very busy and eager. Love the exhaust sound. I wish they had the black and red f in oz that would decide me. Congratulations and I just turned 64. Cheers

·
Registered
37 Posts
what a great pressie, you'll love it even more once the miles or km's pile on, I'm 60 now and can't stay off the thing. Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Congrats, and happy birthday.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi Geoff, great stuff .... I'm 54 and convinced the wife it would be my last new bike because I'll be to old to enjoy it soon..... thanks for giving me plenty time left to prove it wrong ! Already started reading your blog, fantastic keep it going !!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Geoff, I seem to bump into you on forums all over the world. We must meet up some time. I also have been looking to replace my street triple but it's such a good bike it's hard to replace. The s1000f is top of my list. I rode it and found it very similar in position and response. I found the f had very good aerodynamics at speed and I'm looking for a bit more wind protection for longer trips. It also does about 1000rpm less at 110 kph although still sounds very busy and eager. Love the exhaust sound. I wish they had the black and red f in oz that would decide me. Congratulations and I just turned 64. Cheers
Hi Pjc - you're looking well! Do you reckon it's our genetic makeup which makes us like the same bikes? It was a friend who has just got an "F" which made me consider the Suzuki. I just thought that the naked version would help keep my speed down ;) . Congrats on reaching your 64th and may you have many more years riding. Best wishes for the Wallabies!

what a great pressie, you'll love it even more once the miles or km's pile on, I'm 60 now and can't stay off the thing. Enjoy!!!
Thanks jjw! The weather has been crap since I brought it home but it's on the improve now. Might get out this afternoon. Safe riding mate!

Congrats, and happy birthday.
Thanks Roddie - I have a wife in a million :)

Hi Geoff, great stuff .... I'm 54 and convinced the wife it would be my last new bike because I'll be to old to enjoy it soon..... thanks for giving me plenty time left to prove it wrong ! Already started reading your blog, fantastic keep it going !!
Hi Beaky, I've used that excuse for the last 3 bikes and it gets thrown back at me every time :D . Thanks for the kind words - will put together my initial thoughts later today.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts