GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already got the decat pipe and yesterday I started to removing the fairings, loosing the radiator just so I have access to removing the bolts of the header. The 8 bolts of the header have been removed already.

I'm very surprised about the excellent quality of this decat pipe. Great piece of work!
I'm doing these procedure as I have free time after work. Wow! this is not a piece of cake. It is not that easy to remove these things.

I'l post some pictures later as I continue with this fun project.
I'm doing this project thanks to all of you guys help, so bear with me (y) as I embark myself in this modification.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Drilling out the cat was a pain. I bought a cheap drill bit set expecting to break a couple but luckily that didn't happen.
Use a large bit and drill it in multiple places and you should be able to pull pieces out. I'm sure you're going to love the result once it's all done.
Good luck with the job.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Is it possible to install one of these "decat" pipes but retain the cat? I really just want to lose the turkey tray but retain the cat if possible.
If you search forums, there are photos of the oem header after it was cut & before the cat was removed, so yea you should be able to.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I've only seen lextek make a link pipe that only replaces the silencer muffler. Maybe someone on here has fitted one.
The popular decat options (dominator etc) all require you to cut through a portion of the cat, there's no way around that.
You will also lose the heat shield with the lextek link pipe.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are some pics of my on going project:

Today, I took the full system off the bike, cut off the CAT and cleaned the CAT. I'll try to put everything back tomorrow and will send the ECU to Dano's for flashing.

Reactions: Cainus83

·
Registered
174 Posts
Here are some pics of my on going project:

Today, I took the full system off the bike, cut off the CAT and cleaned the CAT. I'll try to put everything back tomorrow and will send the ECU to Dano's for flashing.
What pipe are you taking off to replace with decatted oem?

did you have an aftermarket pipe header on it already?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I'm going to try this one first, see how it works, if I don't like it, then I'll have to go with the M4.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Is it possible to install one of these "decat" pipes but retain the cat? I really just want to lose the turkey tray but retain the cat if possible.
I've only seen lextek make a link pipe that only replaces the silencer muffler. Maybe someone on here has fitted one.
The popular decat options (dominator etc) all require you to cut through a portion of the cat, there's no way around that.
You will also lose the heat shield with the lextek link pipe.
Yeah, that's what I'd be also interested in. Or at worse, clean cut through a section of cat but not need to clean it's innards out.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Dominator link pipe on my bike, the cat is a 2 part item, one of which has to be removed with the turkey tray but the other half I kept in the pipe where you can see the valve in the photos above.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The trick is in the cutting of the pipe. Take the headers off and measure the cut point, then use a disc cutter and carefully cut through the outer wall of the pipe all the way around, do not try and cut straight through as if its a tree, the turkey tray comes away leaving the cat in the front pipe and then slip the Dominator pipe over the top and clamp.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Update:
I divided this fun job in 3 parts:

1-) First day: I dismantled the bike by removing the panels/fairings, loosing and moving the radiator towards the front without detaching its hoses, removed the radiator fan just a little bit. I removed all bolts on the headers. (some were very tight, be careful removing them, if one of these bolts break you are in deep problem).

2-) Second day: I removed the oxygen sensor cable from its connector on the bike, removed the muffler and the headers, cut the pipe 95mm from the welding ring to the left, removed/cleaned the CAT.

3-) Third day: Installed the headers, denominator link pipe, stock muffler, Radiator fan, the Radiator, the oxygen sensor cable to the connector on the bike and installed the 2 wires attached to the pipe valve and I sent the ECU to Dano's today.

Well, I went for a test ride already and let me tell you that I'm very excited, very happy, I got plenty of noise, just like I wanted it, more power, more agility, super nice. Just waiting for the ECU now, I'm expecting a much better performance when I get the ECU flashed according to Dano.

I had more trouble removing the panels/fairings since it's plastic it's very easy to break them a part. This is like working with egg shells.
Removing the 8" screw on the turkey tray is very tricky, just find a way to removing it without removing the chain or worse the speed change lever. Don't remove this speed change lever. Some people have not been able to put it back. Working on a brand new bike is very tricky, one can damage things very easily.

Also, removing the ECU is very tricky, I had to call Dano to ask him how to remove this thing, it turned out it was very simple, just press the middle pin and pull back the lever.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Packmule,
Hopefully by next week I'll be ridding a flashed GSXS1000 :p
I may take a ride early morning to San Diego to have some good breakfast and come back to Los Angeles before noon.(y)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Update:
I divided this fun job in 3 parts:

1-) First day: I dismantled the bike by removing the panels/fairings, loosing and moving the radiator towards the front without detaching its hoses, removed the radiator fan just a little bit. I removed all bolts on the headers. (some were very tight, be careful removing them, if one of these bolts break you are in deep problem).

2-) Second day: I removed the oxygen sensor cable from its connector on the bike, removed the muffler and the headers, cut the pipe 95mm from the welding ring to the left, removed/cleaned the CAT.

3-) Third day: Installed the headers, denominator link pipe, stock muffler, Radiator fan, the Radiator, the oxygen sensor cable to the connector on the bike and installed the 2 wires attached to the pipe valve and I sent the ECU to Dano's today.

Well, I went for a test ride already and let me tell you that I'm very excited, very happy, I got plenty of noise, just like I wanted it, more power, more agility, super nice. Just waiting for the ECU now, I'm expecting a much better performance when I get the ECU flashed according to Dano.

I had more trouble removing the panels/fairings since it's plastic it's very easy to break them a part. This is like working with egg shells.
Removing the 8" screw on the turkey tray is very tricky, just find a way to removing it without removing the chain or worse the speed change lever. Don't remove this speed change lever. Some people have not been able to put it back. Working on a brand new bike is very tricky, one can damage things very easily.

Also, removing the ECU is very tricky, I had to call Dano to ask him how to remove this thing, it turned out it was very simple, just press the middle pin and pull back the lever.
One point I would like to add is what John has said above about the exhaust mount bolt, unless you have a shorter bolt (not supplied with my kit) you will have to replace it or cut off the rubber mount lug from the turkey tray to act as a spacer which is what I did. Also isolates vibration.

·
Registered
631 Posts
One point I would like to add is what John has said above about the exhaust mount bolt, unless you have a shorter bolt (not supplied with my kit) you will have to replace it or cut off the rubber mount lug from the turkey tray to act as a spacer which is what I did. Also isolates vibration.
I second this. At first it looked like the bolt was too long but its a perfect fit with the rubbers and washers. I'd almost already disposed of the silencer muffler but kept the rubbers just in case. They are pretty firm but i managed to push them out with my fingers.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I replaced the 8" long bolt with a 6" long bolt and if fit just perfect. It's also a good idea to install the rubbers on the silencer muffler, just like you and Cainus83 did.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Post up once you get the ecu back from being flashed, let us know your opinion? lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts