GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
YAHOO…. :)Got my F yesterday, finally after a long wait…. Not sure if it’s a him or a her, but nevertheless lovingly dubbed it “SPIDEY”. Suddenly became very windy in CT yesterday, with wind speeds in excess of 45km/h and wind gusts of 50km/h in some places, so not the best weather conditions for the first ride. Nevertheless, just had to collect the Spidey because it’s been such a long and overdue wait. Got it at 0km and took it on about a 150km initial break-in ride. I think I did a very good initial break-in ride, and hopefully set the stage for a very lively engine to come. It was still a great ride even with strong winds and all, although I tried to keep the revs at a respectable level but more than sufficient to load the engine. Tires also obviously had to be scrubbed in and brakes seated. Was surprised though just how well everything worked on the initial run, which made me very comfortable to push in the corners through some of the mountain twisties even after just 50 odd or so km’s. I test rode the 1000 naked once before and although I did not really extensively experience the jerky throttle at the time, I was not really sure exactly what to expect in terms of the throttle response. Surprisingly, I had no real problem with the throttle and actually reasonably enjoyed the lively nature of the engine, and never really struggled to control the speed of the bike even at constant speeds. But then was not doing a lot of slow constant speed riding anyways and was always playing with the throttle to vary the revs (loading and unloading the engine) for the break-in. Also, was however riding in level 3 of traction control (suggested by the dealer for the first ride considering the new tires and brake pads, and because I was not sure what to expect with the jerky throttle) for the whole day and so not sure if this had anything to do with it. Next ride will be level 2 and so make my way up to level 1 or no TC depending on what feels more suitable and comfortable. So far surprisingly, don’t really see the need for PCV, but will monitor the situation and see what happens as I dial down TC and increase speeds though corners and do more traffic riding. All in all, a great machine and I’m extremely happy with my choice of bikes and can’t wait for the second installment of my F riding adventures.

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Must just add a side issue, from pictures I never really saw that glitter in the paint work (especially pronounced in the black paint) and also since the bike was indoors every time I saw it. Yesterday when I collected it, I noticed the glitter in the paint in the sun for the first time. Its quite awesome looking, such a bonus.:) I think pictures just somehow don't fully reveal the beauty of this bike.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Congratulations mate enjoy the new ride, unless you are riding the bike very hard or on wet roads you will notice no difference with the traction control settings as it will not alter its performance unless your riding trying to do wheelies or rear wheel spins and my opinion if you are then its too hard to break in the bike but other may disagree.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I just looked up Cape town SA as i thought it must have been a town in South Australia but anyway that is one awesome looking place.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Congratulations on the bike

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just looked up Cape town SA as i thought it must have been a town in South Australia but anyway that is one awesome looking place.

Yep. It is a truly amazing place to live and ride a motorbike:). One just feel blessed to live here.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Been very windy and hot in CT over the last week, so only managed to go for my second ride yesterday. The bike generally handles very well and so comfortable to throw from side to side in the bends. Dialed traction control up to level 2 for this ride. Front became a little light under heavy acceleration. Has anyone else experienced this? Also rode through more traffic and uphill on some very twisty and bumpy urban roads at between 50 to 70km/h, and experienced that snatchy nature of the throttle. As I went thru the bumpy bends, it was slightly uncomfortable to have the bike jerky and jumpy as I was hitting the bumps and being leaned over. I know some guys reduced the throttle cable play to deal with the jerkiness, but I think it actually might have help me slightly to absorbed some of the movement of my wrist as I was going thru the bends and thereby assisting to reduce some of the jerkiness. I also rode in slow moving traffic at an incline and then control was reasonably fine. I found that I used the clutch a little to smooth out the throttle response at low revs. I think the throttle response could possibly be improved, although it is not influencing me to the point where I cannot ride the bike or not enjoying the bike. Will still however consider PCV, if it will make the bike even better and smoother.

Must say, its a slight pity that the power was dial down, not that power is a problem one this bike, but could have been even so much better with a 160hp engine.:)

For the guys out there still wondering about this bike. It's just AWESOME, and looks great. Getting compliments and heads turning wherever go and I park it.

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
throttle tamer

Been very windy and hot in CT over the last week, so only managed to go for my second ride yesterday. The bike generally handles very well and so comfortable to throw from side to side in the bends. Dialed traction control up to level 2 for this ride. Front became a little light under heavy acceleration. Has anyone else experienced this? Also rode through more traffic and uphill on some very twisty and bumpy urban roads at between 50 to 70km/h, and experienced that snatchy nature of the throttle. As I went thru the bumpy bends, it was slightly uncomfortable to have the bike jerky and jumpy as I was hitting the bumps and being leaned over. I know some guys reduced the throttle cable play to deal with the jerkiness, but I think it actually might have help me slightly to absorbed some of the movement of my wrist as I was going thru the bends and thereby assisting to reduce some of the jerkiness. I also rode in slow moving traffic at an incline and then control was reasonably fine. I found that I used the clutch a little to smooth out the throttle response at low revs. I think the throttle response could possibly be improved, although it is not influencing me to the point where I cannot ride the bike or not enjoying the bike. Will still however consider PCV, if it will make the bike even better and smoother.

Must say, its a slight pity that the power was dial down, not that power is a problem one this bike, but could have been even so much better with a 160hp engine.:)

For the guys out there still wondering about this bike. It's just AWESOME, and looks great. Getting compliments and heads turning wherever go and I park it.
As to snatchy throttle check out Scmedlabs thread on throttle tamer G2, it may not be necessary to go to the expense of PC5

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Was not planning a ride today; temperatures was suppose to be 30+ degrees, but then suddenly felt cooler at midday, so could not resist ride no.3. Left home at about 12h15 and was back by 15h30, nice 3hr odd run, but with no beverage break today even though the heat. I always aim to be back home before 4pm on the bike, if possible, because that’s when afternoon peak time traffic in CT begins. Of course traffic is not an issue on a bike, but who wants to ride in heavy traffic, when you can enjoy the road with less and free-flowing traffic. After about 20 to 25mins of riding, I had to again do some low speed riding in CBD area and surrounds with considerable traffic in order to reach the fun mountainous “twisties”. Jerky throttle at low speeds bothered me a bit more today; maybe because it was far hotter in the CBD area and so needing to put in more effort riding in the heat and “stop-go” traffic and some with steep inclines even without a jerky throttle was annoying at best. Anyways, again it was not the end of the world or an insurmountable task that would ruin the rest of the ride. Also, I rode my other bike yesterday and its throttle at low speeds is much smoother, so I have to almost readjust to the F every time after having ridden the other bike. Just to further digress for a moment, after getting a suggestion from 4tune8 on the Forum, I looked at the Throttle Tamer, and think this might be a more appropriate solution for me compared to the PCV since I am not excessively experiencing the jerky throttle, but still enough at low speed and revs to know that it can be frustrating at times. Just don’t want the bike to feel slower though.
Ok, let’s get back to the story - just before I reached the city, I went thru some tight mountainous “twisties” and some with quite heavy cambers, which flow from one side to the other. It’s always exhilarating at high speed thru them, but you have to be super focused because it’s a two lane road either way and you sharing the space with other vehicles going at different speeds, some also at high speed enjoying the bends and others that appear like “driving Miss Daisy”. I initially started the run where I left off the last run 2 days ago, with TC on level 2, but dialed down to level 1 about halfway thru the run. I must say, I cannot really say that it is very obvious to me what the difference from level 3 to 1 was, and I was really accelerating out of the corners. Ok, maybe not really so much on day 1, with TC at level 3, but still quite a bit. Mileage now at 373km after 3 runs and I think I’m doing justice to the break-in. Also enjoying the bike more and more now with every run as I’m learning the bike and getting more and more comfortable with it. Next run will probably be over the weekend and with some mates instead of solo runs. Can’t wait till then, just writing this is making me in the mood all over again…………….. Ok, back to real world for now and got to do some work. Later guys. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
593 Posts
Nice write-up... so jealous of you southern hemisphere guys in the hight of summer.... -5c here this morning :(

oh, and pic 11 is an impressive selfie for a solo ride out! :)

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Great pics. Thanks for sharing. When the weather is that nice I can't imagine much setting off the TC unless you touch some diesel or something else just as slippy.
Enjoy!
-4C when I jumped on the bike this morning Now that was slippy;)

·
Registered
974 Posts
Great write up and pictures, the red and black fairing is a nice looking bike and I have no idea why they do not bring that model into Australia.
You shouldn't notice any difference in power with the traction control settings as it's just stopping you lifting the front wheel and doing wheel spins and you will see the light flashing away when it kicks in and the traction control itself is not even noticeable it works that well
The throttle tamer does work well but it does give a slightly less power bike feel but remember the power is still there.
I have just ordered another throttle tube that I am going to alter to hopefully take the on/off jerky throttle away from it but keep the power as hopefully it will only soffen the first 5% to 10% rather than the first 20% or so which will help a lot I think and I will post back the results
The throttle tamer could easy be adjusted also I believe
Keep up the k's and stay safe

·
Registered
515 Posts
Great pics. Thanks for sharing. When the weather is that nice I can't imagine much setting off the TC unless you touch some diesel or something else just as slippy.
Enjoy!
-4C when I jumped on the bike this morning Now that was slippy;)
25 deg. F! Yikes

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Had an AWESOME riding weekend with the F. :DHad ride no.4 on Saturday and no.5 on Sunday, both with riding mates. Since up to ride number 3, it’s only been me and the machine; this weekend allowed me to see how the F stacked up against other machines. It was just coincidental, but one of my riding buddies also just got his new Ducati 1299 Panigale this week and so was also breaking in his new steed, but that did not stop him from running it fairly hard in lower to mid rev ranges and thru the twisties.
Saturday, we did about a 145km breakfast run thru much of the same route as ride no. 3. The competitors were a Kawa ZX10R, BMW GS1200, the 1299 Panigale and my F. The BM (being more a tourer) anchored at the back and was more a bit of a spectator than an actual participant. The F took off in the lead and basically stayed in the lead all the way, and opened up a gap every time we ran through the twisties, and then we would regroup afterwards. I was quite pleasantly surprised how the F outperformed the purer sports bikes with greater horse power and torque at their disposal. On the previous run I had done the roller-coaster like twisties leading into CBD area on level 2 TC, but this time did it on Level 1, and as some guys already commented, there don’t seem to be any real difference.
Sunday, we did about 350km run, which started at about 6.30am and finished at about midday. This route involved going outside the metropolitan area and we have dubbed it our “Epic” one-day breakfast run route. Not for the length per say, but for the nice varying collection of twisties, mountain passes and scenery. The 1299 Panigale together with my F were again “competing”, but together with a Ducati Diavel this time. It seemed like the “Red Brigade” and was definitely the most attractive looking set of bikes on the road amongst everything we encountered one the day. Also, I might be biased here, but I definitely thought my F was the star looker, considering that I have always considered that the Ducati Diavel is one of the most impressive looking bikes around. We hit the first set of twisties, which is about a 25 to 30km stretch of winding coastal road (one lane each direction) along the mountain that is done at speeds of between 120 to 170km/hr. Apart from 3 hairpin bends, the rest is generally fast bends that flow one into the other, and a high speed straight where speeds in excess 200km/hr can easily be done. The Ducatis took the lead at the start with the F closely in their tracks and difficult to pass due to having to deal with some light traffic, some tight bends and solid centre lines. After about 5km a clearing opened where the one lane (in the direction we were travelling) opened up into a dual carriageway for about a 100m. The F overtook the Ducati’s and took the lead and in no time opened up a considerable gap. We regrouped after going through this stretch, a quick photo shoot and then continued the run. A similar scenario played itself out later going up another high speed mountain pass but with separate dual carriage ways in each direction, with the F starting in pos. 3 and ending up in pole. We stopped for breakfast at a beautiful roadside café up on the mountains, which was covered with clouds at this stage, but no so that riding visibility is seriously affected. It was time to fuel up again, and head for the last mountain pass (single lane in each direction), which has tight bends and generally done between 70 to 130km/hr and requires good torque more than horse power. The F again started again at the back and this was more a matter of following because overtaking was near impossible due to very short straights, tight bends, long sections with solid centre lines and some very light traffic. The F again however never struggled to keep up with the Ducati’s with their superior torque at their command. On one or two occasions the F fell behind due to getting caught behind slower moving cars, but then easily caught up once it had passed those vehicles. The F definitely held its own and more very well.
Just before we entered this last mountain pass, we ran thru a fast stretch of road with some very fast corners, but with generally poor quality (very bumpy in places) road surface in many places. It’s a stretch of road that I have always enjoyed, albeit the generally poor quality of the road surface in places. My other bike has generally been able to handle the bumps fairly well at speeds on this road. The F did not like this road, and was did not dealing very well with the bumps at speed. I could not easily and comfortably keep the speed of the Diavel, which was never a problem with my other bike on this road. I have to date not made any suspension adjustments (pre-load or other) and not sure if my suspension is maybe not just a little too hard, but it performs extremely well in all other situations that I have ridden so far. My right-hand mirror also just folded in several times during this run, both under heavy wind and on bumpy roads. It was not pleasant and I continuously had to move it back into position and sometimes at speed. It was quite strange because it almost just locked into position again when I pushed it back, but then just fold in again at a later stage. Will check it out later. That apart, the bike is just great. :)
At 824km on the clock now. I think possibly one more run, then time for the first service.

Attachments

·
Registered
974 Posts
I've got to be honest I thought you were being biased when you compared your bike but when I saw the pictures I tell you I have to agree that that is one nice looking machine you have.
I think you have run your bike in perfectly as I did a couple of short runs through our costal twisties and up and down a few gears loading and unloading up to and around 5k revs the bike was loving it and so was I
Next new bike I would do a couple or runs up and down the complete route over a couple of days and really run it in.
I agree also that I think my suspension is a bit hard in the front and it is difficult on them bumpier twisty roads and a I have heard a couple of people doing YouTube reviews of this bike saying the same thing so if you make any adjustments and find some improvements let us know as I have no idea how to set it up and am worried if I start playing then I'll just stuff it up completely
Anyway great write up, keep em coming

·
Registered
515 Posts
My right hand mirror keeps flopping in also. Very weird and depressing. I think the F mirrors are too large as they were updated from non F mirrors at some point. The early press pictures show the F having the non F mirrors. So a change was made at some point. If it keeps up I guess bar end or other aftermarket mirrors are a must.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts