GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Sunday I had a wobble.
I was going about 120 mph when a car approached me from behind so I decided to go faster leaving the car behind and when I got to about 145 ~ 150 suddenly the handlebars started moving quickly and violently left and right. Luckily I did not crash but it was a horrible experience.

I must have accelerated to hard and fast for the rear tire pushing to hard and get me out of control. I’m glad I’m telling you the story I thought I was going to die.

Have you guys had any wobbles yet? Let me tell you, it is no fun at all.:LOL:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get a steering damper of your favorite brand. I picked up a lot of speed/stability when riding hard. Tank slappers are no joke.
Thanks for your suggestion. I need to get a good one, though.

I already got used to the 130 ~ 150 mph speeds, which is nothing for this bike vs my Kawasaki Z650 that I use for commuting everyday.

Reactions: Geoff C

·
Registered
713 Posts
You can really minimize the chances of speed wobble by setting a bike's suspension up properly. Unfortunately, when it comes to the GSX-S, you can only do so much because the factory suspension isn't the greatest. Other than that, a steering damper is available. Thankfully, I haven't experienced any real issues with wobble at any speed on the GSX-S.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can really minimize the chances of speed wobble by setting a bike's suspension up properly. Unfortunately, when it comes to the GSX-S, you can only do so much because the factory suspension isn't the greatest.
You got me thinking about it, because I installed on this bike the K-Tech RCU Razor-R Rear Shock and I really feel that it has a much better suspension now.
I wonder what could have been the culprit of such a horrible behavior. It is not the first time that I hit those high speeds.

1-) I never had a similar situation with this or any bike before
2-) I bought it new Feb 2020, model year 2019
3-) I have put only like 3,500 Miles (I only ride it occasionally to visit my friends about 20 or 30 miles away)
4-) Dano's Flash
5-) K-Tech RCU Razor-R rear Shock
6-) Fwy of the incident is recent made (no potholes, bumps, grooves, etc)

Other than that, a steering damper is available. Thankfully, I haven't experienced any real issues with wobble at any speed on the GSX-S.
What max high speeds have you done on your GSX-S1000?
I wish I could find out what went wrong.

·
Registered
713 Posts
You got me thinking about it, because I installed on this bike the K-Tech RCU Razor-R Rear Shock and I really feel that it has a much better suspension now.
I wonder what could have been the culprit of such a horrible behavior. It is not the first time that I hit those high speeds.

1-) I never had a similar situation with this or any bike before
2-) I bought it new Feb 2020, model year 2019
3-) I have put only like 3,500 Miles (I only ride it occasionally to visit my friends about 20 or 30 miles away)
4-) Dano's Flash
5-) K-Tech RCU Razor-R rear Shock
6-) Fwy of the incident is recent made (no potholes, bumps, grooves, etc)

What max high speeds have you done on your GSX-S1000?
I wish I could find out what went wrong.
Something triggered an oscillation in the front end, but it's impossible to say what caused it. Can only give tips on what will minimize the chances of it happening again. I don't do it often because it's not as fun on a naked bike, but I've been at 150+ MPH several times on mine and luckily it's been rock solid every time. Not sure what you weigh, but I'm about 230 pounds geared up, so my weight probably contributes to keeping the bike pretty well planted at any speed, but especially at those speeds. I can imagine the bike doing whatever it wants at those speeds with a very light rider on board.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
From what I have read this seems to be a problem the naked version can have. Any naked bike really. Not enough down force on the front. I have the F version and have never had any kind of wobble at all. I have not read of anyone having it on the F version either.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Something triggered an oscillation in the front end, but it's impossible to say what caused it. Can only give tips on what will minimize the chances of it happening again. I don't do it often because it's not as fun on a naked bike, but I've been at 150+ MPH several times on mine and luckily it's been rock solid every time. Not sure what you weigh, but I'm about 230 pounds geared up, so my weight probably contributes to keeping the bike pretty well planted at any speed, but especially at those speeds. I can imagine the bike doing whatever it wants at those speeds with a very light rider on board.
That could explain it all! I'm a very light and short 140 lbs skinny guy. There was an experiment in which the bike wobbles with one fairly small person but when they put a passenger the wobble stops or even by the person laying his chest on the tank the wobbles stops immediately.

I'm trying to remember what I did different this time that I did not do the other times no having a wobble and I remember not laying on the tank and it was a big curve.
I have been watching lots of videos to understand my bad experience and I'm collecting all kinds of information that may prevent this in the future.
See this video about wobble

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
From what I have read this seems to be a problem the naked version can have. Any naked bike really. Not enough down force on the front. I have the F version and have never had any kind of wobble at all. I have not read of anyone having it on the F version either.
I have thought about this point too, but many people who have had the wobble effect are also super sport bikes that are designed to race like the Yamaha RS6, Kawasaki ZX-10R and others
See these are super sport bikes not naked

·
Registered
713 Posts
Is this guy on the video suggesting that all these guys on the track have a bad suspension? Aren't these bikes on top performance order? I'd guess that these guys have a perfect suspension.
Having your suspension dialed in will not prevent this altogether, but it will certainly lessen the chances of it happening often. Motorcycles can be dangerous. Just accept that risk and have fun! 😁

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Having your suspension dialed in will not prevent this altogether, but it will certainly lessen the chances of it happening often. Motorcycles can be dangerous. Just accept that risk and have fun! 😁
Exactly! :LOL:
It's just like getting on the back of a mean bull. Fun but could be pricey.:cry:

·
Registered
2016 f
654 Posts
setting up your static ride heights is the first thing to do, checking your wheel alignment , watch some suspension setup videos, ive had small steering shimmying on my f , but nothing compared to my old gsxr11, that thing would buck like a ba...tard, it taught me alot about staying in balance with a bike rather than working against it

·
Registered
136 Posts
So the angle on the front will effect this. Sorry about lack of technical terms. I think it is decreasing rake (technically). But if you lift your backend or lower your front, the bike will fall into the corner. If you go to far with those adjustments, then you will get instability like the oscillation you described earlier. I'm not saying you have that. Simple test, ride along and take both hands off the bars, if it oscillates, (I wouldn't expect this to be violent) then you have something to resolve. If it tracks fine then it was probably the road (or you lifted the front and the wheel came down at an angle).
Things to note - it could be a combination of things. Could be set up. Could be worn bearings (headset, wheel). Could be road.

Steps I would take:
Test for oscillation. If fine, forget it and move on.
Reset your suspension. I reset sags after changing tyres as it makes a difference that I can feel. If your confidence in the bike is gone, I would reset. I use 30% (note percentage not a measurement) sag both ends.
Next step if you still aren't happy would be start checking alignment, bearings etc.

To give more advice I need to feel it. If you have more questions try and describe what is happening the best you can.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So the angle on the front will effect this. Sorry about lack of technical terms. I think it is decreasing rake (technically). But if you lift your backend or lower your front, the bike will fall into the corner. If you go to far with those adjustments, then you will get instability like the oscillation you described earlier. I'm not saying you have that. Simple test, ride along and take both hands off the bars, if it oscillates, (I wouldn't expect this to be violent) then you have something to resolve. If it tracks fine then it was probably the road (or you lifted the front and the wheel came down at an angle).
Things to note - it could be a combination of things. Could be set up. Could be worn bearings (headset, wheel). Could be road.

Steps I would take:
Test for oscillation. If fine, forget it and move on.
Reset your suspension. I reset sags after changing tyres as it makes a difference that I can feel. If your confidence in the bike is gone, I would reset. I use 30% (note percentage not a measurement) sag both ends.
Next step if you still aren't happy would be start checking alignment, bearings etc.

To give more advice I need to feel it. If you have more questions try and describe what is happening the best you can.
Rim72,
Thank you for taking the time to give me advice on my bike wobble experience. As soon as I have some free time I'll do the test that you suggested me.
I did not ride it anymore after that incident, probably it is going to go on sale soon. I don't trust it anymore.:(

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
I have thought about this point too, but many people who have had the wobble effect are also super sport bikes that are designed to race like the Yamaha RS6, Kawasaki ZX-10R and others
See these are super sport bikes not naked
Super Sport bikes usually have less rake angle. That makes them more unstable, but turn into corners easier. Braking before a corner decreases the wheel base and makes it even more unstable to turn in even better. Watch any Moto GP race and you will see wobble all the time on those bikes. Especially on hard acceleration making the front too light. That is what I bet is happening to your bike. You said you changed the rear shock. If your suspension is not set up correctly, it could be making the front too light during acceleration and cause the wobble. There is a little more forgiveness on an F model because of the down force created by the fairing.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Super Sport bikes usually have less rake angle. That makes them more unstable, but turn into corners easier. Braking before a corner decreases the wheel base and makes it even more unstable to turn in even better. Watch any Moto GP race and you will see wobble all the time on those bikes. Especially on hard acceleration making the front too light. That is what I bet is happening to your bike. You said you changed the rear shock. If your suspension is not set up correctly, it could be making the front too light during acceleration and cause the wobble. There is a little more forgiveness on an F model because of the down force created by the fairing.
I have been ridding this bike for about 2 years now and never had this horrible experience, not with the OEM rear shock nor with the K-Tech Razor. High speeds all kinds of acceleration not a problem, but that Sunday I almost get killed.:unsure:
This bike makes 140 ~ 160 mph very comfortable and safe and probably may do 190 mph because all restrictions were removed with the Dano's Flash.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts