GSXS 1000 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
In real world, no way a GSXS can do 190. I guess not even 160.

In theory with raised rpm limiter via flashing and tall gearing, it should do ~190
Font Technology Screenshot Parallel Display device

The guys at revzilla struggled to make 173 on a 1100 Tuono that puts ~190 at the back wheel

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
In real world, no way a GSXS can do 190. I guess not even 175.

In theory with raised rpm limiter via flashing and tall gearing, it should do ~190
View attachment 48358

The guys at revzilla struggled to make 173 on a 1100 Tuono that puts ~190 at the back wheel
Exactly, theory does not mean nothing. Stock we all know that is limited but with a flash and a good gearing for top speed may be possible to reach over 200 mph.

• Haha
Reactions: temporarykiwi

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I’d think you need miles and some very high rpm. That’s a hex of a pull
A bigger custom sprocket on the front and a custom smaller sprocket on the rear would make this bike go really fast. No need to go really high on the rpm.

• Haha
Reactions: temporarykiwi

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Sounds like fast but slow at the same time. with sprockets that size don’t race anyone on the street highway. I’d think you be going 170 before you pass someone. Bike you pass probably 155 mph at the time of the pass. At least with mine you would Don’t burn that clutch out hitting it hard off the line. I’d love to test that out I miss those days

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Sounds like fast but slow at the same time. with sprockets that size don’t race anyone on the street highway. I’d think you be going 170 before you pass someone. Bike you pass probably 155 mph at the time of the pass. At least with mine you would Don’t burn that clutch out hitting it hard off the line. I’d love to test that out I miss those days
Well, the only goal would be to get it as the higher mph as possible. Perhaps we could go from 1st gear directly into 6th gear since the gears/transmission may not like it. :unsure:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Last Sunday I had a wobble.
I was going about 120 mph when a car approached me from behind so I decided to go faster leaving the car behind and when I got to about 145 ~ 150 suddenly the handlebars started moving quickly and violently left and right. Luckily I did not crash but it was a horrible experience.

I must have accelerated to hard and fast for the rear tire pushing to hard and get me out of control. I’m glad I’m telling you the story I thought I was going to die.

Have you guys had any wobbles yet? Let me tell you, it is no fun at all.:LOL:
Years ago I had similiar on a VFR Honda, finally found out it was a worn front tyre (pattern or weave) not equal or worn to 1 side, could even initiate @ slow speeds! Latest on my MY09 SP, on freeways - on changing direction noticed the front end becomes so light thus care in case I provoked a wobble. As others have said suspensions? In my case due to spinal injuries & terrible back roads I had lowered all suspension to zero thus on acceleration I believe the rear sits low & does not realy return - thus front high ?light)? Helped by adjusting up the hand adjustment for rear suspension on the SP?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Last Sunday I had a wobble.
I was going about 120 mph when a car approached me from behind so I decided to go faster leaving the car behind and when I got to about 145 ~ 150 suddenly the handlebars started moving quickly and violently left and right. Luckily I did not crash but it was a horrible experience.

I must have accelerated to hard and fast for the rear tire pushing to hard and get me out of control. I’m glad I’m telling you the story I thought I was going to die.

Have you guys had any wobbles yet? Let me tell you, it is no fun at all.:LOL:
Start with suspension before a steering damper. You will just be masking an issue. Possibly your front spring could be to stiff for your weight but I would think you are in the range for stock suspension. Check out Dave Moss Tuning foe setting it up correctly and I am pretty sure he has a YouTube visit on wobble.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Years ago I had similiar on a VFR Honda, finally found out it was a worn front tyre (pattern or weave) not equal or worn to 1 side, could even initiate @ slow speeds! Latest on my MY09 SP, on freeways - on changing direction noticed the front end becomes so light thus care in case I provoked a wobble. As others have said suspensions? In my case due to spinal injuries & terrible back roads I had lowered all suspension to zero thus on acceleration I believe the rear sits low & does not realy return - thus front high ?light)? Helped by adjusting up the hand adjustment for rear suspension on the SP?
Thanks for taking the time to tell your experience, definitely I'm taking notes of all you guys experiences and suggestions.

·
Registered
2016 f
653 Posts
so ive seen a few mates have this issue with naked bikes most of them its because they sit with their weight way too far back front forks or rear suspension being too soft will also effect this

in regards to the 190mph thing you have no hope of doing 190mph on a naked bike with 150hp sorry but you are dreaming
Even with the f it wont get near 180mph, the aerodynamics are what stop it, not so much hp, im building a big bore eng that should put out approx 190rwhp, but i still doubt it will acheive 190mph,

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have been ridding this bike for about 2 years now and never had this horrible experience, not with the OEM rear shock nor with the K-Tech Razor. High speeds all kinds of acceleration not a problem, but that Sunday I almost get killed.
John2019 this says to me that it is probably not your bike set up. I suggest that was something like the road and landing your front wheel at an angle. One question, what is your front tyre pressure? When did you check that last? Check this first before anything else I suggested earlier.

I have been through this years ago. It triggered me to properly learn to ride. Your confidence will come back. You need to take your time and probably slow down for awhile until it comes back (at least).

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
John2019 this says to me that it is probably not your bike set up. I suggest that was something like the road and landing your front wheel at an angle.
Probably so, I remember 2 different factors that were unique to this particular time:
1-) It was a big curve (I have always sped up from 80 mph to 145 ~ 160 mph very steady on a straight road)
2-) I accelerated fast from 125 to 145 mph and immediately got the wobble effect. I felt the big push from behind.

One question, what is your front tyre pressure? When did you check that last? Check this first before anything else I suggested earlier.
Normally is 42 rear 36 front, that day it was 40 rear 32 front. I don't think this was the issue.
I have been through this years ago.
I never thought this could happen unless there was a mechanical failure, pour riding skills, bad road, mother nature problems, unexpected accident in the road, etc.
It triggered me to properly learn to ride. Your confidence will come back. You need to take your time and probably slow down for awhile until it comes back (at least).
Since that day, I just parked the bike in my garage and I have not ridden it anymore.
I have to install a good stabilizer and test it to see if it works fine, probably I find someone who is an expert on racing.

Of course there are always people who blame me for riding motorcycles, for exceeding the speed limit, that under no circumstances one should ride a motorcycle and speed over 70 mph, for risking my life, etc.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Well, we all know wobbles start off with instability and need some form of energy supplied to it at the right moment to amplify it beyond control. Reasons for instability :
  • Improper damping of road imperfections caused by bad tire pressure, stiff/soft springs, inadequate damping etc
  • Aerodynamics - especially on the naked, riding behind trailers/in turbulent air/crosswinds/loose jacket flapping like a sail etc
  • Bad/worn-out/imbalanced tire/s.
  • Bad road - too many bumps
Any the above reasons can cause the front end wobbles all the time or only when the specific instabilities add up at the right time. On our bikes, the steering angle is a bit more relaxed which helps reduce this - but there is nothing to control the wobble if/when it starts. The only difference at this point is the rider - if you are able to provide the right input at the right time - you could control it. Or mistime the inputs and end up adding more energy to the wobble.

Steering dampers do help in this case - to limit the amount of energy that can add on to the front end oscillations and make it a little easy to correct them when they do occur. If anything, the steering damper might help reduce the overcorrection introduced by the rider and provide a bit more of a chance to damp the wobble before it goes out of control.

I did install Toby steering damper on mine when I started feeling wobbles at regular freeway speeds on a particular stretch of the freeway. It could be an isolated incident on that stretch of road/tire pressure/wind etc - in any case I installed the damper - peace of mind and cheap insurance. The ZX10R has a similar rake/better trail than GSXS - and better areo-dynamics and comes with Steering damper as a stock installation. IMO, our bikes should have come with one too.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would encourage you to ride again soon and just enjoy the bike, it’s not perfect, I don’t think there is one. I have almost been taken off my bike by deer, been attacked by dogs, almost hit by a car, almost hit by another bike, caught is sleet so bad I couldn’t see. All of these things say “stop biking” , but Terrible things could happen anytime, with or without a bike, life is too shor, enjoy your moments, enjoy people, enjoy your days, enjoy your Suzy. I have had spleen wobbles happen on kawi 1000 Ltd at 140mph and pretty sure it was windscreen that wasn’t centred correctly. lots of people here who can speak into the mechanical aspect of GSX, I just encourage you to enjoy your bike again

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Well, we all know wobbles start off with instability and need some form of energy supplied to it at the right moment to amplify it beyond control. Reasons for instability :
  • Improper damping of road imperfections caused by bad tire pressure, stiff/soft springs, inadequate damping etc
  • Aerodynamics - especially on the naked, riding behind trailers/in turbulent air/crosswinds/loose jacket flapping like a sail etc
  • Bad/worn-out/imbalanced tire/s.
  • Bad road - too many bumps
Any the above reasons can cause the front end wobbles all the time or only when the specific instabilities add up at the right time. On our bikes, the steering angle is a bit more relaxed which helps reduce this - but there is nothing to control the wobble if/when it starts. The only difference at this point is the rider - if you are able to provide the right input at the right time - you could control it. Or mistime the inputs and end up adding more energy to the wobble.

Steering dampers do help in this case - to limit the amount of energy that can add on to the front end oscillations and make it a little easy to correct them when they do occur. If anything, the steering damper might help reduce the overcorrection introduced by the rider and provide a bit more of a chance to damp the wobble before it goes out of control.

I did install Toby steering damper on mine when I started feeling wobbles at regular freeway speeds on a particular stretch of the freeway. It could be an isolated incident on that stretch of road/tire pressure/wind etc - in any case I installed the damper - peace of mind and cheap insurance. The ZX10R has a similar rake/better trail than GSXS - and better areo-dynamics and comes with Steering damper as a stock installation. IMO, our bikes should have come with one too.
Thank you for you great input. Very informative!(y)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I would encourage you to ride again soon and just enjoy the bike, it’s not perfect, I don’t think there is one. I have almost been taken off my bike by deer, been attacked by dogs, almost hit by a car, almost hit by another bike, caught is sleet so bad I couldn’t see. All of these things say “stop biking” , but Terrible things could happen anytime, with or without a bike, life is too shor, enjoy your moments, enjoy people, enjoy your days, enjoy your Suzy. I have had spleen wobbles happen on kawi 1000 Ltd at 140mph and pretty sure it was windscreen that wasn’t centred correctly. lots of people here who can speak into the mechanical aspect of GSX, I just encourage you to enjoy your bike again
Denn, thank you for your kind words of encouragement. (y)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Here is an interesting video about how two wheeled vehicles maintain balance:

Any instability that might put the bike off-balance will cause the front wheel to compensate automatically due to the rake/trail. We are unconsciously making micro adjustments to the steering on the bike all the time at slow speeds. And we can easily see how this can go out of control without proper damping at high speeds - either manually or via a steering damper.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Rim72,
Thank you for taking the time to give me advice on my bike wobble experience. As soon as I have some free time I'll do the test that you suggested me.
I did not ride it anymore after that incident, probably it is going to go on sale soon. I don't trust it anymore.:(
No need to quit riding it. There are a number of things that can cause "death wobble", and a good inspection of your bike might find the answer. Wheel out of alignment or balance, headset slop, bad headset bearings. That being said... I'd crap my pants if that happened to me and probably put the bike up for a while too,:ROFLMAO:

21 - 40 of 56 Posts