GSXS 1000 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I'm looking forward to it. When I recommended you stiffen the shock from the softest position I thought you were running the stock shock, so please disregard. If the spring rate is 160-190 you were correct to have it set a bit softer, especially if it feels too stiff now.
Yes, you are right, I think I'll put it back to what it was because it is hard. I don't want hard or stiff, my back may kill me. :LOL:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Yes, you are right, I think I'll put it back to what it was because it is hard. I don't want hard or stiff, my back may kill me. :LOL:
How does the front end feel now? Hopefully your confidence is coming back. I just checked my preload. I am 4 lines showing too, not 3 1/2 as I thought. It feels great and I'm 25lbs heavier than you. Just got back from a morning ride and I just love how I can predictably tighten my line in corners just by reducing throttle. My bike is doing everything I want in front. You might want to try 4 1/2 lines showing. The only problem I have with handling is the rear shock bouncing me around on choppy pavement, but the only cure for that is a better shock. I get it tomorrow, Did you install your shock or the dealer?

·
Registered
13 Posts
In real world, no way a GSXS can do 190. I guess not even 160.

In theory with raised rpm limiter via flashing and tall gearing, it should do ~190
View attachment 48358

The guys at revzilla struggled to make 173 on a 1100 Tuono that puts ~190 at the back wheel
This is very interesting to me. My best friend has a Tuono, no way can he keep up with me in a straight line from a 60mph roll on. His bike has multiple ecu options, Akrapovic exhaust(sounds amazing) and we tried them all. I had my ecu reflashed, pipe, exhaust cam, plugged pair valve. Ohlins shock and i revalved the forks myself. Last ride gps said i topped at at 182.

·
Registered
2020 Suzuki Katana 1000
78 Posts
This is very interesting to me. My best friend has a Tuono, no way can he keep up with me in a straight line from a 60mph roll on. His bike has multiple ecu options, Akrapovic exhaust(sounds amazing) and we tried them all. I had my ecu reflashed, pipe, exhaust cam, plugged pair valve. Ohlins shock and i revalved the forks myself. Last ride gps said i topped at at 182.
Maybe he has a tall 6th gear?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
How does the front end feel now?
Much better, it is softer and best it does not bounce like a basket ball anymore when hitting pat holes or bumps.

Hopefully your confidence is coming back.
Yes, it is coming back, little by little, my top speed now is about 80 mph.

I just checked my preload. I am 4 lines showing too, not 3 1/2 as I thought. It feels great and I'm 25lbs heavier than you. Just got back from a morning ride and I just love how I can predictably tighten my line in corners just by reducing throttle. My bike is doing everything I want in front. You might want to try 4 1/2 lines showing.
I'll try the 4 1/2 lines, may be to the end soft.

The only problem I have with handling is the rear shock bouncing me around on choppy pavement, but the only cure for that is a better shock. I get it tomorrow,
You'll be very happy with the new shock.

Did you install your shock or the dealer?
Yes, I did.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Hey John that picture with the zip tie on the front fork is that after going for a ride?
It needs to be about 20 to 25 mm from the bottom not all the way up there.
Yes, it is after going for a ride.
I only have about 2 more clicks to counter clock to be in the softest setting. I'm 140 lbs, I'll try the other 2 clicks left to see if I get to the 25 mm that you suggest.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Ok so you might have to wind the preload all the way out?
Did you do any hard breaking with the zip tie on the fork leg?
What's your rebound set at?
From memory I think it has 30 click so wind it all the way out and go 10 clicks in after doing the other setting.
With rebound its more important to get the rear shock right so don't worry about the front to much.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 · (Edited)
Ok so you might have to wind the preload all the way out?
Yes, I did this.

Did you do any hard breaking with the zip tie on the fork leg?
Yes. I left one click to fully soft (counter clock). No difference at all. Forks do not push further down the zip tie.

What's your rebound set at?
4 1/2 lines showing on the forks. On the rear shock the lock nut is like 1/2" towards the top.

From memory I think it has 30 click so wind it all the way out and go 10 clicks in after doing the other setting.
15 clicks feel better.

With rebound its more important to get the rear shock right so don't worry about the front to much.
Well, whatever I did it works much better now. I feel like the bike is much more stable, if feels like the tires are stuck like gum on the asphalt.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 · (Edited)
Only bike I have had go into the “death wobble” was a 2005 VMAX at about 120 mph. Was not a pleasant experience to say the least.😬😳
My death wobble started about 140 mph. I feel very lucky that I still came here to tell you guys my story. :(
It was a horrible experience. I have been ridding this bike again but just about 80 mph max. :(

I'm looking at a very good steering damper, maybe I install one to be safer when speeding about 120 mph and above.
For now my Kawasaki Z650 takes me to 120 mph with no problems.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I’ve only ever had one death, speed wobble and that was in 1974 on my K2 Honda 750 when I was 18 I was doing around 100 mph when it happened and it scared the crap out of me plus it took a bit for it to stop so doing 140 would be a pucker fest yikes..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Last Sunday I had a wobble.
I was going about 120 mph when a car approached me from behind so I decided to go faster leaving the car behind and when I got to about 145 ~ 150 suddenly the handlebars started moving quickly and violently left and right. Luckily I did not crash but it was a horrible experience.

I must have accelerated to hard and fast for the rear tire pushing to hard and get me out of control. I’m glad I’m telling you the story I thought I was going to die.

Have you guys had any wobbles yet? Let me tell you, it is no fun at all.:LOL:
I haven't had any wobble with my 2020 GSX S1000ZAMO but I do know what your talking about as my Kawasaki Mach 3 500 triple two stoke use to get it and only happen when I didn't apply the steering dampers that come factory on that older toys same thing with my 750 triple. Check your front end make sure everything is time and right. Any movement that will take your front end out of its normal oscillation of ride will cause tank slap which is not only scary can be deadly. I've seen a couple fatality accidents from younger riders having high speed wabble happen due to front tire leaving ground then coming back in contact out of its normal Alignment. I would get your self a damper and go over motorcycle see if any unnormal wear on bearing or anything as I hear of guys running these GSX S1000 bikes 150 to 160 with 0 issues with no dampers no issues my bike runs true as I can let go of bars at any speed and bike has 0 movement or wobble that's usually caused by taken front wheel out of normal ocilation.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I had a wobble on my 02 GSXR600. It was on the freeway during traffic hour, congested as can be while still doing 70mph, when I hit a huge pot hole. Started off small than just went wacky. In that split second, I prepared myself to die but luckily it sorted itself out.

I've had my GSXS up to around 160mph. At 200lb and with a Toby steering damper, I didn't experience any wobble. It was surprisingly smooth and effortless, especially compared to the 600.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
662 Posts
I need to find a youtube vid I saw years ago and post it. It was about speed wobbles and it looked like it was from the 70's or early 80's. It was informative. They had two riders ride the same bike, the first rider was rather light. About 60 or 70 mph the front end started wobbling. Second rider was about 50 lbs heavier. No wobble at same speeds. Most bikes with reasonable steering geometry do not need outragously expensive steering dampers, the rider just needs the suspension set up for their weight, especially if they are very light or very heavy.

·
Registered
2016 f
697 Posts
I bought a new cbr600 in 1987 it was great on smooth roads, but on bumpy roads (95% here)
It was a crazy tankslapping dog, didnt help i was crazy as rider then, on one such occasion it dislocated my shoulder while thrashing it over our desert rd, with still another 2.5hrs to wellington i rode straight to the physio for treatment , then it dislocated again a month later as i hadnt rehabbed it enough, my gsxr1100 was prone to tankslap as well due to geometry changes and being slightly crazy....hahaha

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I've had two near my death wobbles.
Death Wobble 1:
Back around 1976 I had a Honda CB550F naked bike bike as they were mostly then. I fitted a large Police style windscreen and white fibreglass nose cone that went out the ends of the handlebars and was mounted to the handlebars, not the frame as today OEM's are.
Police used the same in NSW, and a few of their Riders lost their lives in high speed chases.
Even at 60kph in light crosswinds the handlebars would seriously wobble, but on bumpy roads that were (and still are) common here it got more worse.

I had favorite 1 1/2 lane country bush road that (then) had a limit of 100kph. There was a downhill straight that went down to a creek crossing then back up the hill.
I decided to put my feet on the back pegs and lay over the tank to streamline it and see how fast the Honda would go. When I got to 140 KPH (indicated, probably a lot less) the bars slowly went into a slow death wobble weave. What I couldn't do was stop my body going like a lizard walking to have any power with my outstretched arms to do any thing much at all and had to ride it out going from one side of the road verve to the other beside the dirt, and a turn coming up with a hillside embankment while it then had slowed itself to 100kph.

At 100kph, I decided it was better to jump off than spear into the hillside as I couldn't still steer it or reach and pull the front brake.
So with a heave, I got my feet off the rear pegs (and it's still going from side to side of the roadway) back onto the front pegs (decided not to lock touch the rear drum brake to avoid lock up),
and jammed the right foot shoe hard onto the road surface (thinking that the bike would low side and throw me off to my death).
What that did was to totally stop the wobble immediately, I was able to brake and change down and stop and finally sh*t myself. No passing traffic in those days,as the road ended in dirt further up then.
That screen and front end headlight molding and the bike parted company as soon as I got home and went it to the tip ASAP.

Death Wobble 2:
If anyone knows Nimbin, in Hippy country of Northern NSW, there are a lot of mountains there.
Sometime in the 1990's, I took the GSXR750WP on what turned out to be an unplanned one day and night 1100Km round trip.
Brisbane via Stanthorpe, Glenn Innis,Grafton and back to Brisbane 14 hours later.

Coming somewhere near Nimbin, there was a DMR or Council sign that said "Landslip Ahead".
Of course, no distance to it, but a speed reduction to 80kph. Went several miles and nothing. So went back to 100 as needed. I had no idea what a landslip was either.
In an instant, the drop bars were in full lock, my thumbs being hammered into the tank (Ducati would have been so proud of Suzuki).
I was able to accelerate out out it and regain control.

When I went back to the spot (no sign of a sign), I saw that the land had dropped a foot in a foot and at 45 deg to the line of the road. The tar wasn't even broken at all and you couldn't see it coming.

A steering damper would have been useful in the first wobble, but pretty useless in my opinion in number 2.

Rob.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Happy Thanksgiving to all,

I have been thinking what happened to my GSXS1000 as to why I got the wobble. I was able to hit about 140 ~ 160 MPH with no problems before I replaced the OEM rear shock with the K-Tech RCU Razor-R.

A friend of mine says that I may have ruined the bike by replacing the OEM rear shock, he says those rear shocks need to be very hard in order to keep good stability at high speeds.

Those of you who have replaced the OEM rear shock with the K-Tech RCU Razor-R are you guys able to hit about 140 ~ 160 MPH with no problems?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Truly mean no disrespect to your Bud and no I haven’t done 140 plus with a Ktech but NO you have not ruined anything lol. First question is who set your rear shock up ? Is it sprung for your weight ? What about the front? Someone can not buy a Ferrari and then expect there skills to be transformed…. Again no disrespect meant

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Truly mean no disrespect to your Bud and no I haven’t done 140 plus with a Ktech but NO you have not ruined anything lol. First question is who set your rear shock up ? Is it sprung for your weight ? What about the front? Someone can not buy a Ferrari and then expect there skills to be transformed…. Again no disrespect meant
For your info though, I have been researching this problem for months, I almost kill myself and you open your mouth thinking that I have not done nothing to solve this mystery? I have been working with the dealer to find out the cause of this problem and some people here have suggested solutions and still I have not come to a conclusion, but you have the answer?

Yes, the K-Tech rear shock is for my weight, yes the proper settings were made to the shock, the bike was checked by the dealer to make sure if something was not wrong with the bike and nothing was found bad.

Why you bother to reply to my post if you have not gone more than 140 MPH plus? Didn't you understand my question?
What does a Ferrari have to do with a motorcycle?
Do me a favor, try to do 160 MPH or whatever your bike max out and come here to tell me if your did not have the wobble, would you?

61 - 80 of 87 Posts