GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted a comfortable but fast and lightweight sports-tourer for fast country roads riding.
i dont like tank bags, so i needed a practical luggage solution, for at least a small tail bag.
A BMW S1000XR was too high and too heavy, and all the nice naked bikes did not have enough windshild.
A Kawa Z1000SX is already too heavy, and real 135hp is a bit poor.
All other bikes had disadvantages too.
So i decided to buy a GSX-S1000F and customize it.
After more than 30 mods i'm really happy now.
The suspension adjustment and the new wilbers shock with a soft spring makes the bike really comfortable, and - interesting enough - much faster than before (on country roads)
The rear was way too stiff before. (The original front can be adjusted)
A higher and wider handlebar makes for significantly more control, as well as for more comfort.
A bit more work was the back carrier for the tail bag, i used a renntec.com grip and a BMW carrier, all had to be modified quite a bit.
I start here with a short list of my mods and a link to a 360 degree view video.
if there is any interest in any detail, please let me know...

Here's the link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqFmOT4bZr0
or search youtube for: GSX S1000F as a sports tourer 360 video

My Mods:
o Fully adjustable rear shock with a custom soft spring, Wilbers 641 for GSX-S1000
o Snatchy throttle almost fixed by new ECU from Suzuki, 2016-04-28
o Better, more aggressive brake pads (TRW MCB 792 SV)
o Quickshifter, Healtech iQSE
o Wider, nearer handlebar (LSL AX01)
o Handlebar-Riser 20mm, sw-motech.de
o Modified the bar-end mountings for the 14mm diameter of the LSL handlebar
o Wider and higher Windshield (Ermax)
o Licence plate holder, modified for additional splashguard (hs-motorradteile GmbH)
o Additional rear splashguard, BMW, Custom-modified
o LED number plate lamp (Koso)
o Front-Fender Extender
o Outside temperature display, digital, illuminated (Koso)
o LED turn signals, front and rear (BMW)
o Heated grips, Daytona 4-step, button painted gray
o Rear footpegs from GSX-R 1000, modified for swing arm clearance
o Black clutch lever, black brake lever, Suzuki Original
o Crashpads sw-motech STP.05.587.10000/B
o Custom luggage carrier, for Hepco-Becker LockIt rear bag
o Hepco-Becker Lock-It rear bag (not on video)
o RAM Mount Adapter for navigation system at the handle bar
o Double Light Module, lights the high beam a bit in lower beam mode
o Grip-Puppies at the handlebar grips
o 2cm wide rubber ring around handlebar for midland headset RC
o 12V outlet, permanent +12V for battery loading/maintenance/navigation (Baas)
o Double USB Socket 2A, left front, Iginition plus
o Tankpad, transparent, Suzuki Original
o Frontfork Crashpads, GSG
o Louder horn (Hella)
o Fork adjusters
o Rim tape stripes, GP-Style
o Better tires, Michelin Pilot Power 2CT

Future Mods:
o Better quickshifter
o Different crashpads
o Powercommander or Woolich ECU tuning adpater and tuning

Hope it helps someone :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thanks for sharing an awesome build! The suspension makes a huge difference, eh? I've just fitted a Nitron shock and re-done the fork internals and it is truly night and day.

What don't you like about the Healtech quickshifter and have you already done any research on what one you would change to? I'm interested in fitting one, is all...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In my installation, the healtech sensor does not always give the same signal.
i tried different mounting methods, only one worked at all. i assume it's becaus the gsx-s transmission switches gear very easily.
meanwhile, the QS also crashes and needs restarts every few hours.
if i try another QS, i will try a tellert. expensive, but a different and promising concept.
i tried two different sensors as well, both were designed for high pressure shifting for racetracks, and
not well suited for road driving.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thanks for the explanation, Manni, it is appreciated. It's a shame the Healtech didn't perform as well as hoped!

I hadn't heard of Tellert, I'll have to do some research, as I was just going to go with something from either HM or Translogic.

In my installation, the healtech sensor does not always give the same signal.
i tried different mounting methods, only one worked at all. i assume it's becaus the gsx-s transmission switches gear very easily.
meanwhile, the QS also crashes and needs restarts every few hours.
if i try another QS, i will try a tellert. expensive, but a different and promising concept.
i tried two different sensors as well, both were designed for high pressure shifting for racetracks, and
not well suited for road driving.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The red on the wheels looks awesome. The Black/Red is a beautiful bike. I had a really hard time deciding between the two, but ended up being more comfortable with the blue tank in front of me :)

Nice job, I hope you get years of enjoyment out of it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello sir, what kind r your carrier? Y have link about it? ~.~
sorry for the late answer, didn't get any notice of new messgaes, strange...
well, the carrier is self-made, using the following parts:
renntec grab rail for the gsx-s1000, cutted off the end (the grab part).
the plate is a Touratech TO-049-0105, Gepäckbrücke ALU BMW G, but modified also, i cutted off lower front parts.
then powder coated everything.
then added the Lock-It magnets, for a hepco-becker street sportrack rear bag.
fits perfectly, and totally easy to put on and off!
if you want. i make a video of applying and lifting the bag...

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have the Healtech QS. Very impressed, both on the road and the track. Its never crashed and the adjustments available on this thing are mindblowing ( though I use one of the standard settings ). Ive had lots of QS` s and this one is one of the best I have had. Better than the HM on my racebike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bars

Please tell me more about the handlebar conversion. Did you have to extend the clutch, throttle cable etc? I have been thrashing the internet trying to find more info about the deminsions of my stock bars so I can order another that is taller and farther back. I dont want to go to high.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I really like what you've done. I've been looking for a good temp gauge and that Koso looks great, and looks like it was stock on the bike.
How did you install it, and how hard was it. I might have to pick one up. I've found them for a little over $40, which seems high, but you pay for quality. ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I really like what you've done. I've been looking for a good temp gauge and that Koso looks great, and looks like it was stock on the bike.
How did you install it, and how hard was it. I might have to pick one up. I've found them for a little over $40, which seems high, but you pay for quality. ;)
https://www.louis.de/artikel/koso-multifunktions-instrument/10034905?partner=onmacon-pla

mounting is pretty straightforward, once you know where to mount. the cable with the temperature sensor goes straight down,
drill a small hole for it, so that the sensor gets into the free air belo the lamps.
cost was only 20€
:)

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
@Manni They charge a lot more for those in the States, although I see them cheaper on ebay (~$40US), they ship from China, so they might be crap knock-offs. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
update:
in the meantime i mounted the tellert quickshifter.
finally quickshifting is working flawlessly !
The german developer, mr. tellert (sen) told me that in a motorbike gearbox no two shifts are the same.
the gears are always in different positions, so every quickshifter that is only timing based will not work fine for all shifts.
you can play with the timings as much as you want, it will never work for all shifts.
(that was exactly what i noticed trying other quickshifters, incl. iQSE),
only a way-based shifter will be perfect.
well, after mounting and trying it, i must agree! perfect smooth shifts at ANY rev!
expensive!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have tried to find info about tellert Quickshift, do you have a link to buy it or where we can find info about this quickshift? Thanks and Best Regards

1 - 18 of 18 Posts