GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off it wasn't perfect let me just get that out of the way. But it was way better than I ever expected given the platform Suzuki chose to use and at my size and not much out there in this category I can't really be to picky.

The windscreen it is far from perfect what I initially thought was my cardo roaring from wind noise was in fact the windscreen. If I was 2-3" taller from the waist up probably would not make much noise at all. I wear ear plugs which solves all that easily for now. The vibration or should I say lack there of. My bike is not a buzz bomb and the only vibration I notice is 4500-4800 rpm and again at 6000 rpm briefly anywhere ese under that it is fine. It does let you know it is running above 6k rpm but that all feels normal to me having rode buzzy GSXRs most my adult life. The transmission and all is butta and breaks in nicely with only a few miles the quick shifter and blipper work as they should. The clutch lets out right off the bar which when new is kind of irritating but you get used to it. It likes premium grade gas above the 90 mark or it'll ping in traffic and on start ups. The ergos for me are about prefect I logged 2k miles on it and was not sore or tired anywhere. The seat becomes rather firm over a 3 hour jaunt but I'd rather have it firm than to soft. The suspension with the panniers is about set right from the factory for me at 135-140 no gear and I only took 1/4 turn out of compression on the front and added 1 click of rebound up front, on the rear I added a 1/4 turn of rebound. Again that is all personal preference. the rear needed to be softened with no panniers for me. I am on the 1 off the stock 3rd setting of 7 on the rear with no panniers. The rear shock is not hard or difficult to adjust preload there is a provided tool in the tool kit and takes maybe a minute to adjust either way.

The mirrors are great they work really well with a slight blur at that 4500 range I mentioned. The myspin stuff I am not a fan of and kinda just forgot about it and used my garmin. The gauge is easy to read and use the shift light function sub and main is neat but not necessary imo. Bike used no oil or leaked any in during that time in fact the chain still has not needed adjusting. All the oem grease lasted on it 1000 miles before I lubed it out on the road. The bike is razor sharp in real twisties and really holds the line you picked but it will change lines mid turn without much effort. The oem tires are not bad but not a sport tire so be aware you have heat in them especially the front before you go looking for edge grip at 60 degree angles. The front brake bedded in eventually. I probably will not change the pads until they are worn out. The rear has a nice linear feel to it about what all Suzukis have I am accustomed to. Nice little area under rear seat perfect size for my aerostich puncture kit and pump. Bike is easy to wrench on I removed the rear under fender reflector junk with ease and I did the same with two up front on the fender.

The cam chain tensioner on my bike started rattling after 500 miles on the first fillup on the trip. It comes and goes and I kind of knew what it was right away having owned so many GSXRs that have had this issue. So I kept riding it as nothing was happening. I mean what was I to do tow it in. nah I flogged it harder because something on the tensioner it just has not went to the next tooth on the tensioner shaft. Yesterday when I rolled in after 240 miles straight of 90 mph and above I didn't hear it at all and last night when I rode it to bike nite for dinner is never did it. I do have a service appointment for it to get listened to but I am going to keep riding it until then. It is under warranty. Fuel mileage is a bit low calculated on the dash but still respectful at low to mid 40s once break in is past. My trip average was 44.4 mpg and only saw 41 mpg on the fast blast to the house yesterday. It did struggle to get 40 until about 800 miles on the clock.

Overall I am really impressed with the bikes cornering ability loaded or not. It just says push me harder in a turn and is rock solid in the chassis dept. The fueling is pretty good for a Euro5 bike. On off is smooth but there is a hint of lean surging at about 3500 rpm wit ha steady throttle. I used B mode the whole time and only used A mode first 100 miles before I grew tired of the happy trigger feel it had in A mode. I ran TC at 1 in B and only seen it light up once ao it seems the TC is not very instrusive on this bike. The front even lofted over several rises in the road and it never activated the dash light. I like that actually. I do not like the timing retarding in the first 3 gears it just zaps what this engine really is all about. I like a bike to float the front wheel when I gas it hard down low this one won't do that. It is throttled back up top I never got to the 140 mph yet but did see 120 several times and could feel the party getting short from the secondaries starting to shut the doors on the fun.

That is about all for now I'm back at the work thing today and I am still thinking of the ride. It really is a nice motorcycle for the price range and price point.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm 5'10"...do you feel at that height the windscreen would be better? I think you're 5'7" or 5'8"...is that right, Roy? Thanks.
I am 5'9" but I think a 6' guy would have a quieter helmet. On the border at 5'10" tall. I can lift myself up just a little off the seat and it gets in smooth air. I might take the screen off and go ride and see what it does. I would be leery of adding a taller screen to it at my height it may make it louder.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I left out one little tid bit I have noticed the clutch seems grabby and jerky when the bike is cold. Goes away once hot. Could be the clutch plates have not fully bedded in against the pressure plate yet. I am not very hard on clutches so it may just be me being to easy on it during break in. Just a nit pick I noticed nothing like it was gonna break or anything. I have installed many clutches and have felt the same thing when they were new and it typically goes away over time.

As for my cam chain tensioner noise it has all but gone away now. I suspect the rachet rod finally went to the next click on the shaft and the chain is fully tight now. I cranked it yesterday after it had a good bath and no noise. I cranked it twice after the 240 miler rip at 100 mph to get home and no noise both times after cranked or riding. I will continue to monitor that as I know the inner workings of the cam chain tensioner mechanism. Engine is smooth as silk now with a slight hint of clutch basket rattle on right side which is totally normal on a Suzuki Inline4 of any year.

·
Registered
2022 GSX-S1000GT+ blue
238 Posts
If you want to compare MPG, my FZ10 got 30 on our flogging back road rides, sometimes dipped into the 20's. I was getting 37 on this bike during a similar ride. I saw 42 while slabbing for a while at 70-75. I thought that was great for this type of bike and the gearing.

·
Registered
2022 GSX-S1000GT+ blue
238 Posts
I still hear that cam chain tensioner type rattle at start up. I changed the oil at around 800 (was out in the mountains riding at 600 miles) and it didn't go away.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Great write up, thanks Roy...Shame about the timing stopping the front wheel from getting air though !
A good review thanks, but I guess they still haven't done anything about the back shock absorber; it's tucked away out of sight, but on Australian roads which are quite bumpy it is hopeless. I forked out for a Wilbers 641 and got rid of 8Kg of metal by ditching the turkey baster and putting black widow pipes on; mine is a 2016, but same bike, and Suzuki still won't confess that they based the engine on the 2007 engine, not the 05 or 06. The sump is on the opposite side of the motor, and the exhaust fittings are quite different to an 05,06, not titanium valves or valve springs or exhaust like on the 05-06- the GT won touring bike of this year in our leading publication Australin Motorcycle News, and there's no argument with the large european contingent of computers on two wheels, it stands out a value for money.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good ride report! I will say that I've heard 155 is about all it'll give stock. At least on the top speed road... in Mexico, my sources say.
Yes that is about it. Speed limited in the ecu but that can be turned off by a tuner when they ecu flash it. I honestly think it is fine at 155 cutoff.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts