GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, might as well introduce myself now that I've posted 45 times already! I'm from Chicago and have been riding for about 15 years. '07 Ninja 250R, '08 Ninja 250R, '08 ZX-6R, '05 FZ6, '18 GSX-S750, and now an '18 GSX-S1000F. I absolutely loved my GSX-S750 but I'm a bigger guy at about 220lbs and needed some more grunt and actually liked the looks of the F more than the naked (I know, I'm crazy!). Anyway, happy to be here among fellow GSX-S riders. Easily the best bikes I've ever owned.

I wanted to get all my mods/upgrades out of the way all at once since I knew exactly what I wanted (some carried over from the 750). Here's a list of what I've done so far:

Performance:

Dano's Performance ECU flash
Annitori QS Pro quickshifter

Aesthetic:

Reflective Bermuda Blue rimstripes
Reflective Bermuda Blue "GSX-S" decals on rear fenders, front wings
DIY fender eliminator with forward-firing LED plate light
Front turn signal flush block off plates painted matching sparkle gloss black
Ermax rear seat cowl painted matching sparkle gloss black (bought a blue one and painted it)
OEM European market Suzuki clear tank pad kit (on the way but delayed in Europe due to pandemic)
Front fender reflector delete
Exhaust resonator painted hi-temp matte black, slip-on painted hi-temp gloss black
Passenger peg delete

Lighting:

Custom headlight build:
  • Dual Morimoto H1 Mini 7.0 projectors
  • Black mini Gatling gun shrouds
  • Motoholder bulb holders
  • 5500k 35W Morimoto XB HID
  • 70mm Profile Pivot halos in white-only mode
  • gloss black painted interior
  • amber LED turn signals in unused corner pods
  • Motocycle relay harness
  • 70mm rubber dust caps
Rear sequential LED signals
LED turn signal flasher relay
VLEDs 6" red LED striplight bar as auxiliary brake light (crazy bright)
DMP Powergrid LED taillight

Electrical:

Marco Tornado air horn with relay mounted inside fairing in stock horn location (that was fun...not)
Flash-to-pass garage door opener
Heated gear harnesses with relays (jacket, pants, insoles)

Handlebar/controls:

Short black brake and clutch levers
Rhinomoto heavy bar ends, trimmed tapered ABS end caps
CRG Arrow mirrors
G2 Throttle Tamer aluminum throttle tube
Koso heated grips with integrated control
Bar mirror mount clamps delete using OEM Suzuki clamps

Miscellaneous:

Eazi-Grip dashboard glare eliminator
T-Rex frame sliders in black
Pit Bull rear black delrin spools
SW-Motech EVO tank ring and EVO Micro bag
M-Factory Shinobi pegs (super grippy)

Naturally, once I had the bike ready to go, the governor of my state issued a shelter in place order, so I can't really ride the bike without technically breaking the law. I guess I could ride it to go "get groceries" but let's be honest, not gonna be able to get much!

Can't wait to get some miles on it and get out of the break-in period!

Better pics soon but here's what I've got so far (and some fun promotional GSX-S1000F shots, obviously not mine):

·
Registered
375 Posts
Looks good! I've got some similar mods on my naked 18 z.

Which tail light do you have and how is it compared to stock? Going antsy during lockdown. Bike hasn't got any attention in about a month.

I'm also near Chicago. I'm from out of state so not familiar with the area. Can you recommend some fun twisty roads for the weekends?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

It's the DMP tail light, I brought it over from my GSX-S750. It has integrated turn signals but mine failed so I just stick to external signals. I personally like the look of the ice block design.

It's not as bright as stock, be warned, but I always add some sort of auxiliary blindingly bright brake LEDs anyway, which always trump the stock tail light on any bike. The DMP also comes in clear and smoke, mine is clear but the smoke might look good on your Z, although it's probably even dimmer than stock/clear.

I'm seeing Chinese copies for sale now on eBay if you don't want to spend $100 for the real thing:

And the real thing (also made in China, so I doubt there's a difference!):

As far as twisty roads, I really don't know too many routes either since I mostly just commute on the bike. However, I have friends who ride all over and there are some really good roads in W/SW Illinois and beyond.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just last night I ordered the Motodynamic integrated tail light. I chose it over the DMP because the quality was good on my S1000RR and it has stop awareness. Brake lights flash a few times every time a brake lever is pressed.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah the Motodynamic light is really nice and super bright, I had one on my FZ6. I just happen to like the inner plastic design of the DMP.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks great! That's a huge number of mods. Congrats! ... but no rear shock? :confused:
Funny you should ask! Trying to figure that out as we speak. Still not sure if I truly need to replace the oem rear shock - need to give it a few more rides to figure that out. Been discussing it here:

What are your thoughts on the matter?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Funny you should ask! Trying to figure that out as we speak. Still not sure if I truly need to replace the oem rear shock - need to give it a few more rides to figure that out. Been discussing it here:

What are your thoughts on the matter?
I've spent over 5k on mods, should have done the shock first.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I read that and that statement alone pushed me to evaluate the shock immediately after discovering the harshness. Just need to get some more saddle time now.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Yea, it's probably the #1 complaint for most owners. I tried for quite a while to adjust mine, but the compression damping is just too high (I'm ~#160 lbs with gear). I went with the K-Tech Razor R. It's fantastic, but there are plenty of good options out there (you can find them in it the many related threads).

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I'm about 230lbs with gear - does that mean the stock shock would be possibly okay for me?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Does your spine feel like it's being pounded over the bumps or do you get kicked of the seat? If so, I'd upgrade it.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does your spine feel like it's being pounded over the bumps or do you get kicked of the seat? If so, I'd upgrade it.

If you're getting kicked out of your seat then you just need to slow the rebound down. A little at a time till it feels right.

If you are being pounded however, you may need a heavier grade spring. I'm about 170 lbs (according to google converter) plus a couple for gear and I'm happy enough with the shock; well the back end is doing the right things. Being a bit heavier could be getting to the limits of things.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I messed with the suspension a little bit. YMMV, but the unadjustable high speed compression was just too stiff to work around, at least for me. Commuting on rough roads sucked.

Despite this though, around town and on smooth roads I was able to dial it in to feel pretty good for spirited riding. Can't speak for track use.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If I'm commuting on rough roads, what is the ideal suspension setup and settings? Soft as possible?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was taught that sag should be 30% travel. Or as close as close as you can to it. Then it depends on what is happening for the dampening rate adjustment. If you can get close then you will need new springs.
I couldn't get exactly 30% each end on mine. I'd set the front, then the back, rechecked the front which was then out as the bike was settling. All of this reminds me that should check it again now to has worn in. Close enough is good enough.😉

1 - 20 of 25 Posts