GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the touring version so heated grips came as standard, they didnt work from new, so waited until the first service to get them fixed, after the mechanic said "yes, nice n hot now" I took it for a ride and couldnt feel anything through my gloves so removed my gloves and felt the grips, left one was warm on top, cold underneath, right one was cold on top but luke warm underneath, so back to the dealers and they tell me that suzuki, Honda and Kawasaki all use the same ones and they are only heated half way through and my right one has been put on upside down, and needs a warranty claim for new grips, so I asked for the better Oxford ones, they said yes, free of charge, So I go back in January to have them fitted. At least I know Oxford ones get HOT.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Funnily enough I just put my Oxford grips on today. I noticed they don't get hot unless the bike is actually running. Never had heated grips before and these do get pretty hot. Today was about 42 degrees Fahrenheit and I had to dial them down to 75% after about 10 minutes.

Putting them on was kind of a pain. I had to modify the plastic throttle slider by sanding it down a lot and even got a chance to break out my previously useless oscillating multitool to help clear out some of the excess plastic. I didn't like having to basically destroy my OEM stuff to get it to fit but the grips are on and working great.

The included mounting bracket would not work as the mirrors blocked it from coming over the bars. How did they mount your control unit on your bike I wonder? Possible to show a picture?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Not sure about Kawasaki, but Honda do use the same grips, but they are available with 180 degree (half grip) and 360 degree (full grip) heating. I have the Honda full heated grips on my GSX-S and have no complaints at all.

Heated grips for me are way more convenient than heated gloves. Once the gritters are out on the roads my bike stays tucked up it it's garage until spring so I just need something to take the chill off my hands on cold spring and autum mornings. Heated grips and a decent pair of all season gloves sees me through the whole year in comfort:)

·
Registered
974 Posts
I brought a set of $7 heated pads that wrap around the bar under the oem grips off eBay and they work so well I put them on both my bikes, they have no temperature control but sit on a good temp, every now and then they get a bit warm so I just simply switch them off for a couple of minutes minutes , I mounted a switch on the top of the fairing dash wired from an ignition relay to the battery so I'll never run the battery flat, best $7 I ever spent and my mates who brought them also love them, mind you a cold day riding here is 15 degrees Celsius :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Funnily enough I just put my Oxford grips on today. I noticed they don't get hot unless the bike is actually running. Never had heated grips before and these do get pretty hot. Today was about 42 degrees Fahrenheit and I had to dial them down to 75% after about 10 minutes.

Putting them on was kind of a pain. I had to modify the plastic throttle slider by sanding it down a lot and even got a chance to break out my previously useless oscillating multitool to help clear out some of the excess plastic. I didn't like having to basically destroy my OEM stuff to get it to fit but the grips are on and working great.

The included mounting bracket would not work as the mirrors blocked it from coming over the bars. How did they mount your control unit on your bike I wonder? Possible to show a picture?
hey chuck, how much thicker are the Oxford grips to standard grips?

·
Registered
328 Posts
oxford grips are quite fat compare to Honda oem
that s why I m not using them

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are different thickness now, the sports ones are quite thin compared to the adventure ones.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any reasons why you guys prefer heated grips to heated gloves or glove liners ?
I would forget to unplug them, prob causing damage

·
Registered
108 Posts
Interesting. I got the Oxford Heaterz Premium Sport Heated Grips.

I went ahead and broke out my calipers and took some measurements.

On the bike my Oxfords have about a 33.3 mm outside diameter on both grips.

The OEM Suzuki grips have about a 32.7-33 mm outside diameter and this is measured with them off the handlebars, so I think when they are installed on the bars they should be even closer to the Oxfords.

·
Registered
328 Posts
As motorbiking it s my job
Have sport, touring and scooter here
Oem honda heated grips still thicker
working better
looking better with integrated switch

·
Registered
108 Posts
As motorbiking it s my job
Have sport, touring and scooter here
Oem honda heated grips still thicker
working better
looking better with integrated switch
I would have went with the OEM grips too but apparently Suzuki's aren't that good? But some say it's the same grips used across various OEMs.

The fitment on an OEM unit would be better that's for sure. But for $75 I am very happy with the Oxford ones so far.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Well suzuki oem are far to be good grips
like yamaha oem are ****
daytona are bit better (not the version with integrated switch)
honda with integrated switch are pretty the best (for price of 250-270....)

Dunno who say they are all the same... but is not like that
(suzuki ones seems old honda type btw )

suzuki

yamaha

honda

Daytona

·
Registered
108 Posts
The Honda's definitely look superior in terms of fitment. Did you put Honda grips on your GSX-S?

Is this the same part #?

08T50-MGE-800

·
Registered
328 Posts
Suggest 08ETB-MGE-HGA (360° heated)
than must buy " wiring harness"08T49-MGE-801

·
Registered
593 Posts
My 360 degree Honda grips don't have the integrated controller, they have the same controller as the Suzuki OEM optional grips. Can't remember the part number, but I threw away most of the wiring they came with and hard wired them myself.

·
Registered
328 Posts
360° honda without integrated controller are quite an old model

·
Registered
285 Posts
I would have went with the OEM grips too but apparently Suzuki's aren't that good? But some say it's the same grips used across various OEMs.

The fitment on an OEM unit would be better that's for sure. But for $75 I am very happy with the Oxford ones so far.
I made the mistake of thinking that suzuki grips would be better. They were useless , and Suzuki replaced them under warranty with oxford grips , which are very good

1 - 20 of 23 Posts