GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Suzuki GSX S 1000 GT, Triumph Thruxton RS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like my new GSXS 1000 GT but I immediately felt I wasnt happy with the front brake. The stopping power is there but the travel of the brake lever is way to long for my taste. I nearly missed to turn in some intersections due to me not getting the bike down in speed in the right time. I compare with my 2019 Kawasaki ZX14R and my Triumph Thruxton RS. I have no issues going between theese bikes and getting the braking right. There is less leverage before braking starts and to get more stopping power on those bikes. I always apply two fingers when using front brake. Before going all the way and changing brake master cylinder, brake lines and all I wanted to try the less expensive route and just change the pads up front. After some research I decided to go for SBS 841 RST. On SBS homesite they say these pads are for sporty riding and track days.

I changed pads myself, very easy job, if you can change oil and filter you should have no problems changing the pads. I have had the new pads for like 400 miles including one trackday. So what is my opinion? For me, brake feel is definitely better. Its not that long lever travel before the bike starts to slow down and the stopping power is greater with less input on the brakes. It is also easier to modulate the stopping power now. There is a little little sound from the brakes in very slow speeds but I had that with the original pads too. Is it perfect? Not for me, I would like the brakes to engage even faster, but I ride on track quite often and like the feeling when very small inputs rapidly shaves of some speed. Am I satisfied ? Yes. Will I go the more expensive route and upgrade master cylinder etc.? No, its good enough for me, at least for now. Hope this can help someone to decide wether or not to upgrade, we are all different and have different opinions.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The original pads on mine are a little squeaky... they're OK but not bad enough at the moment to replace until they're worn out. I have a set of Vesrah pads ready to go in, which ought to be fantastic. They were an amazing upgrade on both my old Bandit and R6.

I did put a CRG brake lever on which gives somewhat better adjustment than the factory lever had, so thats helped a bit.

·
Registered
606 Posts
If you plan on keeping the bike a while I would replace the M/C with a Brembo RCS19. OEM calipers and brake lines are top shelf. Its the pads and budget m/c that are the weak point on our bikes. RCS19+SBS RST=Superbike brakes.

·
Registered
2022 GSX-S1000GT+ blue
238 Posts
There just isn't the proper switch to activate the brakes and deactivate the cruise. I don't mind as I prefer the rear brake to deactivate the cruise, but I'm not sure if it would throw a fault code not seeing the switch or just disable the cruise all together. I have the EBC HH pads and have not noticed much difference other than squeaking every time I come to a stop now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts