GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all!!
This is my first post and it may be lengthy!! I've had my "F" for a few weeks now and have put a couple of thousand K's on the clock. I woild have posted before but wanted to wait till I'd had the bike a while and tweaked it to my liking.
As a bit of background, I'm mid 50's, been riding dirt bikes since an XR75 new in 1977 and sport bikes since I bought a GPZ900R new in 1984. My last three bikes have been a 2003 R1, a 2010 ZX10R and a Ducati Monster 1100 (which I owned at the same time as the ZX10 for a short time).
So I guess I'm the exact demographic the GSX-S1000F is aimed at....I'm a sport bike rider who spent considerable time and money trying to make the R1 and ZX10 more bearable for longer rides (4-5 hrs). I put Apex riser clip ons on the R1 and Helibars on the ZX10 which made them more liveable to an extent. I still felt beat up after 5 hrs on the ZX10. I tried the monster but I hated it!! Hated the motor and the iffy high speed handling. Also I always seemed to be digging into my back pocket! ( I get why some people love these but I grew up on Jap bikes and that's my preference in terms of feel ).
Anyway.....I absolutely LOVE the Gixxus! It's the perfect bike for me. A comfortable sport bike with all the performance I want with none of the compromises I wouldn't consider that normally come along with a bike being more comfortable, notably that it weighs the same as my ZX10, not 20kg and up more. I have spent some money on it though so I thought I'd spell out what I've done and how I find the changes.
I didn't have any trouble with a snatchy throttle at all. Neither with the test bike I rode or with my bike (07/15 build). I don't find the bike as standard any different to the ZX10 or the R1 in terms of throttle response. However I bought a throttle tamer and ordered a PCV before I even got the bike after reading all the negative comments (thought I must have missed something during the test). I installed the PCV after the first service and I find the engine response is smoother and there seems to be more low midrange power so, Yep...happy with that. I haven't put the throttle tamer on and don't intend to as I have no desire to slow the response down.
I found the bike too "revvy" during highway/open road riding/cruising so I dropped to a 42 tooth rear sprocket and I find this to be a big improvement for me. My opinion is that the "F" version should come standard with this gearing due to the intended use. The naked is probably a different ball game...just my opinion.
I put a Nitron NTR R3 rear shock on, set up for fast road use. I couldn't live with a rear shock without compression adjustment. So now I have high and low speed!! Frankly I thought the original rear shock performed and looked like an afterthought and was not up to the standard of the rest of the bike. Anyway, cash spent on the Nitron but VERY happy with this shock!! I have the reservoir under the pillion seat along with the toolkit.
So, yeah. There it is. my take on this bike. I was sad to see my ZX10 go as I really liked that bike but I have absolutely no regrets. The Gixxus "F" makes me smile every time I go out.
Cheers from OZ!!!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
my last bike was a 07 zx10, I loved that bike. Faster than ****, and great in the corners. BUT.....after years of SS bikes....I wanted something that wasn't going to kill my back or my arse. So I bought the GSX.

I agree with you, I LOVE this bike. It's still a fast bike, handles great in the corners, and has a perfect riding position.

post some pics of your ride :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here it is then.
I forgot to mention that I also have a Ventura sport rack fitted. Not really keen on the look but SO practical. Easy to take my lunch, thermos of tea etc without having a backpack on me.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Nice review and pics. I've been thinking about a 42 tooth rear sprocket. Any advice on a manufacturer/ part number etc.? Cheers

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
why do you not just put a 18 teeth gear box sprocket on,i did and pleased wih result,its easier and takes less time also cheaper,no need to modify chain
I would have preferred to go to an 18t on the front sprocket actually but couldn't find one here in Australia. Didn't really want to wait two weeks for one from Overseas as the revviness was really bugging me and spoiling my enjoyment of the bike. Yeah you're right, going to a 42t was a bit of a pain as I had to remove one link in the chain. Not a massive big deal though really.
I used a supersprox 42t rear as that was the brand I could get over here. I will grab an 18t front for when I replace chain and sprockets since I now have a new 44t rear sitting around. I also think I'll prefer the slightly taller ratio the 18t front 44t rear will give me.
By the way, the mounting bracket on the handlebars is a Quadlock out front mount which I use with my iPhone 6s with Navmii. Awesome! and very simple/quick to use.
One last thing. I know this is something that there is strong and conflicting opinion on but....I had my bike run in on a Dyno by Sydney Dyno at Kariong. Dave picked my bike up with 0 klms on it in his van and I grabbed it a few hours later. Great service! thanks Dave.
My bike made 146hp after run in. On the same Dyno, the press release bike (which wasn't run in on a dyno) made 141hp. I know which side of the fence I'm on!
I may have seen this link on the forum somewhere but for anyone who hasn't seen this webpage here is the link again. Makes for an interesting read, and I like his top 1000+ music video page too!!!
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

·
Registered
71 Posts
still performs well,better fuel consumption,my missis owns one with standard gearing,over 400 miles mines 1.4 mpg better fuel consumption.instument readings are the same as there taken from the wheel speed censors

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hey all!!
This is my first post and it may be lengthy!! I've had my "F" for a few weeks now and have put a couple of thousand K's on the clock. I woild have posted before but wanted to wait till I'd had the bike a while and tweaked it to my liking.
As a bit of background, I'm mid 50's, been riding dirt bikes since an XR75 new in 1977 and sport bikes since I bought a GPZ900R new in 1984. My last three bikes have been a 2003 R1, a 2010 ZX10R and a Ducati Monster 1100 (which I owned at the same time as the ZX10 for a short time).
So I guess I'm the exact demographic the GSX-S1000F is aimed at....I'm a sport bike rider who spent considerable time and money trying to make the R1 and ZX10 more bearable for longer rides (4-5 hrs). I put Apex riser clip ons on the R1 and Helibars on the ZX10 which made them more liveable to an extent. I still felt beat up after 5 hrs on the ZX10. I tried the monster but I hated it!! Hated the motor and the iffy high speed handling. Also I always seemed to be digging into my back pocket! ( I get why some people love these but I grew up on Jap bikes and that's my preference in terms of feel ).
Anyway.....I absolutely LOVE the Gixxus! It's the perfect bike for me. A comfortable sport bike with all the performance I want with none of the compromises I wouldn't consider that normally come along with a bike being more comfortable, notably that it weighs the same as my ZX10, not 20kg and up more. I have spent some money on it though so I thought I'd spell out what I've done and how I find the changes.
I didn't have any trouble with a snatchy throttle at all. Neither with the test bike I rode or with my bike (07/15 build). I don't find the bike as standard any different to the ZX10 or the R1 in terms of throttle response. However I bought a throttle tamer and ordered a PCV before I even got the bike after reading all the negative comments (thought I must have missed something during the test). I installed the PCV after the first service and I find the engine response is smoother and there seems to be more low midrange power so, Yep...happy with that. I haven't put the throttle tamer on and don't intend to as I have no desire to slow the response down.
I found the bike too "revvy" during highway/open road riding/cruising so I dropped to a 42 tooth rear sprocket and I find this to be a big improvement for me. My opinion is that the "F" version should come standard with this gearing due to the intended use. The naked is probably a different ball game...just my opinion.
I put a Nitron NTR R3 rear shock on, set up for fast road use. I couldn't live with a rear shock without compression adjustment. So now I have high and low speed!! Frankly I thought the original rear shock performed and looked like an afterthought and was not up to the standard of the rest of the bike. Anyway, cash spent on the Nitron but VERY happy with this shock!! I have the reservoir under the pillion seat along with the toolkit.
So, yeah. There it is. my take on this bike. I was sad to see my ZX10 go as I really liked that bike but I have absolutely no regrets. The Gixxus "F" makes me smile every time I go out.
Cheers from OZ!!!!

Good post. Cheers!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts