GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have spend the Covid period learning new hand skills (TIG welding) and I have finally been able to create something worthy of fitting to the bike. Not as good as temporaykiwi's work but feeling happy with it. Need to remake the black cover as I don't think it suits the thinner shape now. But I have plenty of time.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Crankset Bicycle tire
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
2,042 Posts
Can't really tell from the photo but it looks like the exhaust is very close to the tire. Hope it doesn't melt it when you are stationary.;)

Roadtec 01se (y)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Nice work. Always nice to learn new skills!

And it's kind of hard to tell, but it appears to exit in the same location as all the other high mount exhausts that attach to the pillion peg.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
looks like the exhaust is very close to the tire
Hmmm, I didn't think of that. I was actually focused on the pipe in relation to my foot as I plan to put rearsets on it. After looking it sits ~70mm away from the tyre, so that will be fine. Where I need to monitor it is the rear brake and ABS sensor lines. That is about 25mm. I may need to move it a little or build a heat shield. Your keen eye is much appreciated, thanks.

same location as all the other high mount exhausts
No it is higher. I can't fit the rear peg on. Largely because of the angle it kicks up on. But it looked better there. I do need to revisit the rear peg issue now I have it completed. I just decided I can always put the other exhaust tip on if I need to take a pillion. Which I have done once in 2 years of ownership.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hmmm, I didn't think of that. I was actually focused on the pipe in relation to my foot as I plan to put rearsets on it. After looking it sits ~70mm away from the tyre, so that will be fine. Where I need to monitor it is the rear brake and ABS sensor lines. That is about 25mm. I may need to move it a little or build a heat shield. Your keen eye is much appreciated, thanks.

No it is higher. I can't fit the rear peg on. Largely because of the angle it kicks up on. But it looked better there. I do need to revisit the rear peg issue now I have it completed. I just decided I can always put the other exhaust tip on if I need to take a pillion. Which I have done once in 2 years of ownership.
Gotcha. At first glance I thought you had one of the standard exhaust brackets that replaces the right side rear peg, but now I see it appears to be one you made.

·
Registered
493 Posts
After all that time building your custom slip-on, now it's time to fabricate yourself a pipe that deletes the muffler box so you can get some sound out of that bike and enjoy your handy work!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
time to fabricate yourself a pipe that deletes the muffler box so you can get some sound out
Whilst that is easy and I have everything I need, I don't think that slip on would be suitable. It's an ebay special and way to cheap to last. I also like quite bikes which makes me weird:D. I suspect it will get the better of me.

I also worry about keeping it rego compliant. I would love to chop down the rear subframe but don't want to be defected somewhere. I look at some streetfighter pages and have concluded that you must have different registration compliance for some of the stuff that is done, both in the UK and US. There is no way some of that meet our design requirements. Although, some of it doesn't say a lot, especially when looking into shorten the rear subframe etc.

·
Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
2,042 Posts
Reactions: Rim72
1 - 9 of 9 Posts