GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been test riding all types of bikes over the last several months and have decided that the GSX S1000 is the one for me.

Now I can't decide if I want the naked or fairing version. I like the look of the naked better, but I have never had a naked bike before. I was not able to test ride the naked though, only the F model.

I ride about 80 - 100 miles daily regardless of weather with a mix of street and freeway. After riding in 40 - 50 MPH wind gusts today, I have started to have more concerns with the wind, rain and cold on the naked vs the F model.

What are you experiences?

Anyone used one of the Puig screens they have made for the GSX?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Been test riding all types of bikes over the last several months and have decided that the GSX S1000 is the one for me.

Now I can't decide if I want the naked or fairing version. I like the look of the naked better, but I have never had a naked bike before. I was not able to test ride the naked though, only the F model.

I ride about 80 - 100 miles daily regardless of weather with a mix of street and freeway. After riding in 40 - 50 MPH wind gusts today, I have started to have more concerns with the wind, rain and cold on the naked vs the F model.

What are you experiences?

Anyone used one of the Puig screens they have made for the GSX?
Hey,
I have a naked but my friend has an F. In my opinion when you ride 100 miles daily regardless weather I would suggest go for F. You have your legs covered better, you can always mount bigger windscreen without looking wierd otherweis its the same bike.
I went for the naked bcs i mostly drive it in good weather and for fun and i like the streetfighter look.
But whatever you choose go for red and black. The F looks awesome in this color aldo other colors are nice but just too much only one color, no contrast.
My Friend went for blue F and now he's kinda sorry when he puts his F next to my bike.0:) Imean regarding color choice!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi
The faired version would be the better option, I have the triton blue, but must admit the more I see the red/black version the more I like it, unfortunately only the triton blue was available at the time. Now I wonder what the triton blue would look like if it had the same color scheme as the red/black?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have the F. The naked was never an option. Reason - I tested many naked and with much more power like the KTM Supperduke R, etc, and the problem was always the same for me. Beyond 170km/h, the windforce just push you back and its a bit more difficult to comfortably do higher speeds especially very high speeds bends. Add some high winds into the equation and it just adds to the challenge. I even wondered whether the F's screen would actually be adequate because it looked quite short, although I did not want a touring screen or touring look. The F's screen is perfect. You can easily do 220km/h and more without significant wind force on your chest. Again, depends how you want to ride and what works for you. Just my opinion Naked riders - before I start WWIII.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. I think I know that the F is probably the right way to go, but **** it I like the look of that naked. Think I will give it another shot to try and find a test ride of the naked. Worst case I know a Yamaha shop that will let you ride anything. Crossed the FZ 09 off the list long ago due to the board like seat but maybe will take it out just to get the no fairing feel.

Greatly appreciate your input.

·
Registered
299 Posts
If I were buying a bike specifically for the task of traveling 100+ miles per day, I'd pick something more sport touring-ish.

But if I were buying the bike for general riding, I'd pick the naked. Mind you, it'll take a few months for the back of your neck to build up its muscles. In the beginning, your neck will be sore, but in a few months you'll be able to do 300 mile days at 120 miles per hour and have no problem.

To an extent, wind force only hinders people who have inadequate muscle development, simple as that.

For example: I'm 49 years old and just rode 500 miles in 2 days with a group of high speed sport bikers and we did between 100 and 120+ nearly the entire way. I don't ride that fast all the time though. If I did, just like WMus, I'd pick a different bike. That's not what a naked bike is for. It's a great all-arounder.

If I did ride that fast all the time though, I wouldn't get a GSXS at all. I'd totally get a completely different bike....such as an Aprilia RSV4. For super sport high speed riding........neither of the GSXS bikes are a good choice.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I expected my naked to blow me off the back of the bike at 100. It's more like you can feel it's naked but I don't find it unpleasant at all, somehow the shape of the headlight deflects just enough wind to make it comfortable. I did a 800 mile trip the other weekend and its was just fine.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Nekkid all the way:D......Apart from sport bikes with clip ons of which I've had a few, I've never had any luck with screens....I've had a few of these so called adventure bikes and always ended up cutting the screen down due to buffeting, drove me crazy...I've also had a fair few nakeds and love the feeling of clean air and, in my mind at least, the greater sense of freedom that being exposed to the elements gives...Yes, in cooler temps, you'll feel the cold biting but I stick on a heated jacket and just get on with it. As Thumper says, once your body builds up the neck and shoulder muscles it's a breeze (literally:laugh:). I've done may 700+ mile days touring and often at a fair lick, no probs.
All that said, I never even tried the F version of the GSX so dunno how that fairs!
You said you much prefer the look of the naked so I'd go with the heart ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I need to go jump on a naked this weekend and give it a good ride. Take that as you will.....

Wind on my helmet from moving was not as much my concern as the cross winds or heavy head winds. Wondering more if the bikes themselves handle much differently without the fairings.

How are the nakeds in the rain? Rain is rain and you get wet, but I have found with a double bubble windscreen over the years my body stays fairly dry as long as I am moving. Legs generally stay dry for a while as well with the fairing protection. I hate carrying extra gear, so unless it is a raining hard when I leave, I generally leave the rain gear at home.

·
Registered
299 Posts
DJ99 yes a fairing seems to have kept me dryer than with the nakeds. As I mentioned earlier, if all season riding 100 miles a day commuting to work is the bikes main purpose then I'd go with a completely different model bike. Something like the Kawasaki Concours for example. You have to choose the right weapon for the task at hand.

·
Registered
147 Posts
If I did ride that fast all the time though, I wouldn't get a GSXS at all. I'd totally get a completely different bike....such as an Aprilia RSV4. For super sport high speed riding........neither of the GSXS bikes are a good choice.

I think what one also need to appreciate is that Suzuki targeted the F for the 40+ year old ex-superbike rider that now wanted something a little more comfortable (or upright), but still have that sport riding capability and performance. I am exactly that type of rider and hence the F was the ideal bike for me. In this category there are actually not many contenders, and I think the only other real contender is the Kawa Z1000SX (although considered more sport touring). All other bikes are really more naked's, in my view. So the decision was never between the GSXS 1000 naked or F, but rather more between the Kawa Z1000SX and the F. And although I like to ride fast and sporty, I did not want a pure sport bike either because of the seating position. So, I think this is just as much a real category (sport touring or sport upright bike) as any other, and comparing the naked to the F is actually no different to comparing cheese to salami and they just happen to be made by the same manufacturer and use the same GSXS base. In my view, if I had wanted a more naked, then I probably might not even have gone for GSXS 1000 since it offers less power and torque to many of its rivals. But in that sport touring or upright seating sport bike category, it undoubtedly is the best performer, be it due to being a great bike in its class or assisted by lack of competition in that category. So, although I would even have liked more performance (power and torque) in the bike, the reality is that there was not really much else to choose from unless I stepped into the more sport bike category, which then defeats the need for an upright seating position. I just happen to place a higher requirement on upright seating position, so a pure sports bike is not making the cut for me. So I think this is exactly what Suzuki was targeting, which also does not necessarily mean that other riders would not find the F suitable and exciting, but not necessarily the initial specific target market they had in mind.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts