GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my rear tire on my 2016 GSXS and would like to put on something that won't spin so easy every time I try and pull the front wheel up. Any recommendations. I don't ride this bike long distances so I can afford to get only a couple of thousand or less.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I don't have a lot of experience with other tire brands on my GSX, but I did swap out to Michelin R5s and can tell you that they are WAY stickier than the OEM Dunlops.
I ride in cold, and if I can't avoid it, wet, and in the cold and/or wet the Dunlops were absolutely horrible. The R5s act like nothing happened.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Which tyre are you currently running?
It really depends on the surface conditions and your riding style. A hypersport tyre is stickier than a sport touring tyre but it requires heat and a smooth dry surface to achieve the level of grip those tyres can offer. A sport touring tyre will actually offer more grip when cold, wet or less than ideal road surface conditions.
I also vouch for the Michelin road 5. It outgrips my buddies Metzler sportec on our average roads but the Metzeler will absolutely destroy me on a track.
Realistically, sport touring tyres these days offer grip that is beyond anything you will try to achieve on a public road whilst offering longevity. Save the pricey "sticky" tyres for the track days.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like a Michelin Pilot Power 2TC. The write on this tire makes it sound ever bit as good as any other tire. Looks like they all say they do everything great. All I want it a tire that is sticker than what I have since it seem to spin more often that pull the front wheel up.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Plenty of other people have also remarked that they have trouble lifting the front wheel under power. I guess another factor is the wheelbase and the fact that the gsxs does a wonderful job in putting that power down to the ground and keeping it stable. Makes for a very quick bike but not exactly a wheelie machine like the Yamaha MT07, 09, 10.
I think any decent new rubber will offer better grip than you currently have. Some tyres just don't wear well and this might be the case for the tyre you currently have.
My mates Pirelli Rosso Corsa were super sticky when new and less than 2000km later were slippery.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Super good point about super sticky tires needing heat. So pant people buy race track and use them on the street not realizing that they will never get to temp on the street and require tire warmers to reach 180f to start gripping. Before that they are like riding on glass.
2ct’s are amazing. Quick warm up and sticky. Used them on my gsxr years ago street/track. They seem to be on sale a lot as I think they are being phased out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, this has been very helpful. I could easily have considered a racing tire that would never get warm enough to grip well on the street. The previous owner put the 2CT on the bike and I have no reason not to trust him. At 80 years old he was still riding fast bikes and it looks like he knew what he was doing when it came to choosing tires.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Try dropping 10 psi out the rear tyre for wheelies. More grip, bigger contact patch
And don’t forget to turn the TC off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I need to make a specific effort one of these days to go out and find a relatively safe place to practice. Part of me thinks the throttle issue on this bike might be making this a bit more difficult that it would be on other bikes but I cannot speak from experience.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I thought the same thing if your rear is spinning ... too much tire pressure. How many Pounds are you running?

·
Registered
22 Posts
My rear tire is pretty worn. I don't have any problem getting the bike to wheelie. With traction control off, the front end is constantly coming up in first and second gear when I throttle down on the bike. It is almost normal for me now. Are you sure you have TC off? With it on, I notice the front comes up very little, but the bike will get jittery as if the rear is spinning, but I think it is actually the TC controlling the fueling.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I need to replace my rear tire on my 2016 GSXS and would like to put on something that won't spin so easy every time I try and pull the front wheel up. Any recommendations. I don't ride this bike long distances so I can afford to get only a couple of thousand or less.
Dunlop Q3 from 2wheel.com

1 - 14 of 14 Posts