GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was thinking of going with Statefarm Ins. as they were the cheapest i could find, my insurance quote from them on the GSXS was $108 a month for full coverage insurance. I was involved in an accident in Nov '15', my fault, rear end collision, well there was a settlement through my car insurance to the other person involved. As of today my insurance quote went from $108 to $280 a month. At these rates i won't be able to afford the payment and insurance on this bike. I've heard of Rider Insurance, haven't gotten a quote from them yet, can anyone here help me out with other insurance providers that i might not know about, thanks.

·
Registered
987 Posts
That's harsh. Have you looked into adjusting your coverage, like raising deductibles, lowering limits, eliminating medical, etc. Can't eliminate collision if you're making payments.

Reactions: Rhyno54

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did, i went with the lowest that's allowed by law here in California, my deductible is $500, i would have to get comp&collision, uninsured motorist.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Holy **** this must be a typo, i just did an online quote from Dairyland and filled out all the required fields to the best of my knowledge and it came back as $28,885.00 a year. That's more than i make in a year WTH, gonna have to call tomorrow

·
Registered
152 Posts
When I was much younger, and had a bad driving record I got cheap insurance through Farm Bureau. I think they are in every state, but not sure. One of the things that will help you is to insure your car & bike with the same company if you can, to get the "multi-vehicle discount" most insurance companies offer. Until that accident drops off your record, your rates are gonna be higher that they would otherwise.....same thing happened to me.

Shop around with some of the smaller companies like Dairyland, Farm Bureau, etc. ...... I' think you"ll something affordable pretty quick.

Reactions: Rhyno54

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Holy **** this must be a typo, i just did an online quote from Dairyland and filled out all the required fields to the best of my knowledge and it came back as $28,885.00 a year. That's more than i make in a year WTH, gonna have to call tomorrow
Holy crap! Let me know if what happens when you call them. I guess I can't recommend them anymore. :(

·
Registered
566 Posts
Really there is no such animal. If you add any collision it will be pricey. I don't add collision. For a toy that cost less than $10k I assume that responsibility on my own and go unisured motorist, liability and comprehensive coverage for theft. State Farm rapes me for $308 a year on that.

I have had full coverage in a accident and it wasn't worth it to me. I paid in all those high premiums and they low ball the cost of the bike at payout time, no thank you, piss off insurance company. Realistically these bikes are not totaled 80% of the time they total them anyway. Cosmetic reasons total them. slap that thing back on the road with ebay parts or discounted OEM parts and do the work yourself. Been there done it.

Insurance is ponsey scam, they are gambling you won't need it and you are gambling you will. Meantime they take the big premium money and high roll at your expense. I mean if we were talking more than $10k yea I'd run full coverage and I do on something like my $70k truck.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I would agree on collision, but he mentioned a payment and (if it's like autos) the lienholder will require it so they don't get stuck.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Was thinking of going with Statefarm Ins. as they were the cheapest i could find, my insurance quote from them on the GSXS was $108 a month for full coverage insurance. I was involved in an accident in Nov '15', my fault, rear end collision, well there was a settlement through my car insurance to the other person involved. As of today my insurance quote went from $108 to $280 a month. At these rates i won't be able to afford the payment and insurance on this bike. I've heard of Rider Insurance, haven't gotten a quote from them yet, can anyone here help me out with other insurance providers that i might not know about, thanks.
yep, you are screwed now that you have an at fault record.

Only way to save money now is drop the collision portion. That is the most expensive portion. You could try Allstate. They were cheapest for me.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Im not sure Dairyland covers Calif. I used to have Progressive that was $850/yr, full coverage. I recently switched to Allstate and they were about $775/yr.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I used to have Allstate. I call and get quote on GSXS-f and am told $475/year full coverage (ok, I'm old, both cars, house, covered etc.). Cool. Buy bike in March '16 and go by office to show off bike and give Serial numbers for policy. I'm told the price is wrong--its $575. What! Crap. Well I pay it. Allstate's calendar year comes due in June and I'm now told the premium is $750. WTF! I have zero tickets, claims, accidents, nada. So of all places I called Progressive gave best rate for Gixus and my '06 Ultra (wife loves it): rate for '17 is $774 (total for both full coverage).

·
Registered
379 Posts
You're in California... the cheapest I've found is Pacific Specialty Insurance. But go through Culver Insurance (culverinsurance.net). My insurance is ~675/yr with $500 deductible, and it was just a little less with $1000 deductible.

The customer service at Pacific Specialty isn't very good - you definitely pay for that with Geico and Progressive. But the rate is SO much lower.

Edit: I just saw the part about having an accident on record. That's going to hurt - something like that adds about $1000/yr to my quotes on Progressive and Geico. When I signed up with Culver they didn't ask, and I still haven't heard if I'm at fault yet for my accident, so my quote with them is low - so far.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well Dairyland was ridiculous, there quote for me was $21,000.00 a year, no joke. Markel was just over $6,000.00 a year, so won't be going with either one. Rider Ins. doesn't insure in Cali, called StateFarm back and the Faired version was $308.00 a month. Considering going with them on a multi-line discount(2 cars&1 bike) the rates dropped a lot, for everything it was $350-$400 a month, depending on make and model. Progressive and Geico were too much, called Culver Ins. still waiting to hear back from them, so still looking.

·
Registered
379 Posts
You can go to McGraw Insurance (which is a division of Pacific Specialty) to get an idea of their rates - I don't know if Culver will get it down any lower but I have a feeling they might.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Still haven't had any luck with insurance on this bike, if i end having to get another make and model for financial reasons would i still be welcome on this forum.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
My other options were the 11-15 speed triple and the 10-13 z1000, both bikes for some reason were way cheaper to insure than the GSXS1K

·
Registered
319 Posts
Not trying to be a dick but if you make so little you really should not be financing a bike. Financing a depreciating asset is in general a terrible idea. Get something that you can afford outright and that will be cheap to insure, something with 250cc that's not a sport bike, maybe a KLX250 or something. You are making some terrible financial decisions that will only compound your troubles, it's not worth jeopardising your financial future just to have a nice bike. Just my opinion, take it or leave it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts