GSXS 1000 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Interested to see the difference in size once you get the Arrow measured. I'll have to do the same with mine and post the results.
I may actually get to that one today...got to spend some quality time with the Cherokee this weekend in replacing a crankshaft position sensor, oil pressure sensor and a turn signal relay and then belts on a Scion, and why Toyota decided to use two V-belts when a single serpentine belt would have sufficed on a 2006 car is beyond me.

·
Registered
74 Posts
V-belts have long been a thing of the past. Get with the times, Toyota!
My thoughts exactly and getting proper tension on those things, both of them mind you, so it either doesn't kill the water pump or alternator bearings or sound like a raging cat fight is a fun exercise in trial-and-error.

I'd love to hear the engineering 'justification' for that one, "Well, you see, we had all of these leftover V-belts and..."

·
Registered
74 Posts
Look what I finally got...both measured at 'relatively' the same spot on the exhaust, as close as I could get with the Arrow on the bike and not having to fight a radiator, etc. to get a picture. This might explain why there's some power to be found with the Arrow, that's about a 6mm difference in diameter.

Calipers Measuring instrument Gadget Font Personal protective equipment

·
Registered
493 Posts
Look what I finally got...both measured at 'relatively' the same spot on the exhaust, as close as I could get with the Arrow on the bike and not having to fight a radiator, etc. to get a picture. This might explain why there's some power to be found with the Arrow, that's about a 6mm difference in diameter.

View attachment 46508
That's exactly 6mm difference. I don't know what difference, if any, there is in the wall thickness between the OEM and the Arrow header, but it can't be much. The Arrow being 6mm larger translates to roughly 1/4", which is substantially larger. It doesn't sound like much, but we're only talking about a 1.0L engine here. I would not have guessed there was such a difference in size.

I'll measure the Lextek header in the same place this evening when I'm home from work. I doubt it will be as large as the Arrow, but we'll see. Thanks for posting those results.

·
Registered
74 Posts
That's exactly 6mm difference. I don't know what difference, if any, there is in the wall thickness between the OEM and the Arrow header, but it can't be much. The Arrow being 6mm larger translates to roughly 1/4", which is substantially larger. It doesn't sound like much, but we're only talking about a 1.0L engine here. I would not have guessed there was such a difference in size.

I'll measure the Lextek header in the same place this evening when I'm home from work. I doubt it will be as large as the Arrow, but we'll see. Thanks for posting those results.
Yeah, you look and kind of think, "but t's 'only 6mm'...," but that translates into a 38% larger cross-sectional area (9.21 sq. cm. stock vs. 12.72 sq. cm. for the Arrow), not taking into account wall thickness, etc. but proportionally it should still be at least 1/3 more. That would be a huge difference in flow between the two and would likely lead to far larger gains if you could open up the intake side more or throw some port work or cams at the bike.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Yeah, you look and kind of think, "but t's 'only 6mm'...," but that translates into a 38% larger cross-sectional area (9.21 sq. cm. stock vs. 12.72 sq. cm. for the Arrow), not taking into account wall thickness, etc. but proportionally it should still be at least 1/3 more. That would be a huge difference in flow between the two and would likely lead to far larger gains if you could open up the intake side more or throw some port work or cams at the bike.
Absolutely. And don't give me any ideas. 😁

·
Registered
493 Posts
Just measured the Lextek head pipes and all four measured dead on at 1.50" in outside diameter. This puts them at 38.1mm, which is roughly 4mm larger than the factory header and 2mm smaller than the Arrow header. Not quite as large as the Arrow, but still a decent improvement over stock considering they're only $300.

I have a dial caliper instead of a digital version, so I couldn't manage to get a good picture depicting the reading while actually measuring, but here's what I came up with.

Watch Automotive tire Gauge Clock Measuring instrument

·
Registered
Suzuki GSX-S 1000
494 Posts
Now I'm interested 🙄 🤣 Thought the bike was nearly completed..
There's always a something else 😗 Arrow with the SC project is an attractive proposition

·
Registered
493 Posts
There's always a something else 😗 Arrow with the SC project is an attractive proposition
It never ends, man. Member @SS7 just finished a projector retrofit in the GSX-S headlight for me and he's absolutely right. It's an addiction!

Here's a link to the work he did on mine for anyone interested in upgrading their headlight.

http://instagr.am/p/CUGIeBZl6Hh/

·
Registered
74 Posts
Absolutely. And don't give me any ideas. 😁
Don't think that hasn't crossed my mind either...when the Katana is the slowest and least powerful bike you own you kind of feel compelled to do something to it. I stumbled across an article where an Australian guy did a bore/stroke on a GSX-S1000 and some other work and managed to get 205 rwhp out of it. That seems legit.

Who needs 200+ horsepower?

Just measured the Lextek head pipes and all four measured dead on at 1.50" in outside diameter. This puts them at 38.1mm, which is roughly 4mm larger than the factory header and 2mm smaller than the Arrow header. Not quite as large as the Arrow, but still a decent improvement over stock considering they're only $300.
Even at 4mm it's still a good gain and you can't beat the price. The things I didn't think to measure when I was doing the swap are the actual ports in the head and the pipes where they fit into the spigots. I'm sure they neck-up right after the spigots but looking at the Arrow next to the stock the stock piping looks, well, tiny.

Are you going to be using the 'old' GSX-R1000 gaskets (Suzuki part number 14181-46E00) when you put it on? I know some guys had issues with leaks when using the stock gaskets and looking at those vs. the GSX-R gaskets, you can see that the GSX-R gaskets are about twice as 'thick'. I didn't want to chance it so I grabbed four of them off eBay for like $30.

I forgot to ask, how is the Leo Vince slip-on setup? I'm assuming it's sized for the stock setup with the graphite gasket, so roughly 51mm.
Is it ever really complete? The Arrow with the SC would be a nice setup...I assume the SC is also sized to fit the stock exhaust with the gasket too, so 51mm?
It never ends, man. Member @SS7 just finished a projector retrofit in the GSX-S headlight for me and he's absolutely right. It's an addiction!
Does that still use the stock Katana headlight housing? That's nice...

·
Registered
Suzuki GSX-S 1000
494 Posts
i replaced my the baffler tray with a link pipe & couldn't get the stock exhaust on with the gasket , ordered 2 different replacements......to this day I have no gasket

·
Registered
493 Posts
Don't think that hasn't crossed my mind either...when the Katana is the slowest and least powerful bike you own you kind of feel compelled to do something to it. I stumbled across an article where an Australian guy did a bore/stroke on a GSX-S1000 and some other work and managed to get 205 rwhp out of it. That seems legit.

Who needs 200+ horsepower?

Even at 4mm it's still a good gain and you can't beat the price. The things I didn't think to measure when I was doing the swap are the actual ports in the head and the pipes where they fit into the spigots. I'm sure they neck-up right after the spigots but looking at the Arrow next to the stock the stock piping looks, well, tiny.

Are you going to be using the 'old' GSX-R1000 gaskets (Suzuki part number 14181-46E00) when you put it on? I know some guys had issues with leaks when using the stock gaskets and looking at those vs. the GSX-R gaskets, you can see that the GSX-R gaskets are about twice as 'thick'. I didn't want to chance it so I grabbed four of them off eBay for like $30.

I forgot to ask, how is the Leo Vince slip-on setup? I'm assuming it's sized for the stock setup with the graphite gasket, so roughly 51mm.

Is it ever really complete? The Arrow with the SC would be a nice setup...I assume the SC is also sized to fit the stock exhaust with the gasket too, so 51mm?

Does that still use the stock Katana headlight housing? That's nice...
I've seen that 200+ HP GSX-S from Australia. I'd love to do something like that with mine, but a project like that would cost considerably more than I paid for the bike brand new. As much as I love the bike, it would make more sense to just buy a different bike rather than dumping $20k+ into a GSX-S1000 or Katana, unfortunately. That kind of horsepower is attainable from many of the newest liter bikes, with some even topping that number right off the showroom floor before any mods. Not to mention less weight, more advanced technology, and modern design.

And, yes, I'll be installing new Suzuki gaskets with the Arrow header. The ones I'm using are Suzuki part number 14181-22D01. I believe they're standard for the 2016+ GSX-R1000 and 2016+ Hayabusa. They're much thicker than the OEM GSX-S1000 gaskets and come recommended by another member here who used them during his Arrow installation.

As for the Leo Vince slip-on, it is sized to match the original slip-on and make use of the graphite gasket on 45mm header outlets, so it should slip right onto the 51mm Arrow mid-pipe outlet without the gasket in place.

Also, while I much prefer the look of the Akrapovic slip-on that you and I both chose, they do offer another one for the GSX-S which does have the larger 51mm inlet. Why they offer two different slip-ons for the same bike with mismatched sizing, I have no idea. This is the one with the larger inlet which would fit the Arrow without modification. Not as attractive as ours, but it probably flows slightly better, as that larger inlet diameter continues throughout the length of the muffler body and exits through a larger exit diameter than our version.

Tool Font Bicycle part Cylinder Logo

Also, if you have any trouble with the new clamps you bought fitting your modded Akra, the clamp that's included with the slip-on shown above should fit as it's meant for the larger 51mm inlet. The Akra part number is P-R60. And if you have the clamp leftover from your original Suzuki slip-on, it should also work. Not sure why I didn't consider that sooner, but better late then never!

·
Registered
493 Posts
i replaced my the baffler tray with a link pipe & couldn't get the stock exhaust on with the gasket , ordered 2 different replacements......to this day I have no gasket
Not all slip-ons are made to be used with the gasket. What link pipe did you use? Was it the standard Dominator style cat delete pipe or was it something else? Does your SC-Project fit your link pipe properly or is it loose fitting?

ETA: Ignore what I wrote above. I just went back and looked at your pictures from the beginning of this thread and see that you're running a Black Widow header, which has the smaller 45mm outlet diameter at the end of the mid-pipe. I can see that your SC-Project slip-on is sized to fit it properly without the use of the gasket. That's why you couldn't get it to work with the gasket, because it's not supposed to be used. That also means your SC-Project would not fit the Arrow header without modification. That's another fail from a supposed "top tier" exhaust company, just like the Akrapovic that @MileHayabusa and I have. He had to modify his Akra to fit the Arrow, just like you would have to do.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I know how that goes...the Katana is like my 'red-headed stepchild' in that it is the least powerful and likely slowest of all my bikes. Given that it's basically a 'parts bin' bike, albeit some well-matched parts, and using at least 10 year old technology there's not much that compares favorably with the liter bikes I have.

And let's face it, the fit-and-finish isn't exactly overwhelming. Suzuki seems to have this knack for making new bikes out of old, case in point is the Katana and the new 'Busa. Same frame as the Gen2 and, for the most part, the same engine and electronics that are now what I would call up-to-date and it's $5K more list and about $8K more than I actually paid for the '19 I have.

The Katana seems like a retro-based money grab in their trying to appeal to all of the 'old guys' who remember the original Katana back in the early 80's. List price on the Katana doesn't exactly compare favorably to the other naked 1000s or even Suzuki's own GSX-S1000 line, which explains why they weren't huge sellers and can now be found for much less than list.

Nicely played and I figured you had it covered on the exhaust gaskets as you seem to do a fair bit of research also.

At least Leo Vince managed to get it right...that's one out of how many?

I looked at the other Akrapovic slip-on also and, outside of hating the way it looks, I yanked my passenger pegs before I even rode the bike, so there's that...leaves me without any mounting options for it unless I put the pegs back on but, given that I've got the Powerbronze seat cowl (and I hated that they decided to offer it in 'gloss black' because it was much easier to do that than actually match the color of the bike, so mine's been painted to match the 'Glass Sparkle Black' on the Katana) I don't see that happening.

Seems I'm 'stuck' making the one I have work...and this weekend I'll know if it does. May have to break out the industrial-sized steel reinforced JB Weld epoxy and 3 lbs. of orange Permatex gasket maker if all else fails. :unsure:

My guess...the Marketing guy, "Hey, lots of these people dropping $700+ on a slip-on from us are also adding new exhausts that are 51mm and our slip-on won't work with them."

The Product guy, "Well, we can't just modify the one we already have and piss-off everyone who bought the 'older' one that won't work with a different exhaust, so let's make a newly designed one that does and maybe they won't notice."

They're still on my 'probably not getting a holiday card from me this year' list.

I do have the original clamp from the OE muffler and I did look at the P-R60 but I wasn't paying $40 for a clamp. I ordered two different kinds, one from 'Helix Racing' and one pseudo-generic Chinese clamp du jour that vaguely resembles the Akra clamp. My OCD would usually get the best of me but it's a clamp, it's covered when mounted and no one else will ever know it's not from Akra. I'll just drink until I forget that last part!

[/QUOTE]
Not all slip-ons are made to be used with the gasket. What link pipe did you use? Was it the standard Dominator style cat delete pipe or was it something else? Does your SC-Project fit your link pipe properly or is it loose fitting?

ETA: Ignore what I wrote above. I just went back and looked at your pictures from the beginning of this thread and see that you're running a Black Widow header, which has the smaller 45mm outlet diameter at the end of the mid-pipe. I can see that your SC-Project slip-on is sized to fit it properly without the use of the gasket. That's why you couldn't get it to work with the gasket, because it's not supposed to be used. That also means your SC-Project would not fit the Arrow header without modification. That's another fail from a supposed "top tier" exhaust company, just like the Akrapovic that @MileHayabusa and I have. He had to modify his Akra to fit the Arrow, just like you would have to do.
Why, why, why...dumbest way for anyone to ever design a slip-on. Glad to see misery loves company on this one.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The saga continues...my clamps came and one of them, a Helix Racing 212-2763, was supposed to be for a 1.94-2.12" diameter. All well and good until I looked at it in the package and thought it looked far larger than the other clamp. The packaging listed the correct size but when I actually looked at the clamp in the bag it was marked 212-2771, which is for a 2.44-2.62" diameter pipe. 'Minor' issue and the Amazon return has been started.

I've still got the other clamp, a T-bolt clamp, that I test fitted on the stock muffler and it fits just fine and lands right in the 'middle' of the adjustment range.

I'll pick-up the slip-on tomorrow or Monday depending upon how things go tomorrow and hopefully I can throw up some pictures of the stupid thing finally installed as I'm about over this little project.

I did get my wheels ceramic coated today and will finish up routing wires for the quick shifter tomorrow and finally get all of my body panels put back on.

I did manage to get this done...removing two bolts and installing two new bolts and a slider seems to be a job I can actually handle. R& G Racing to match my frame sliders and the other engine slider on the left side.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Alloy wheel

·
Registered
493 Posts
The saga continues...my clamps came and one of them, a Helix Racing 212-2763, was supposed to be for a 1.94-2.12" diameter. All well and good until I looked at it in the package and thought it looked far larger than the other clamp. The packaging listed the correct size but when I actually looked at the clamp in the bag it was marked 212-2771, which is for a 2.44-2.62" diameter pipe. 'Minor' issue and the Amazon return has been started.

I've still got the other clamp, a T-bolt clamp, that I test fitted on the stock muffler and it fits just fine and lands right in the 'middle' of the adjustment range.

I'll pick-up the slip-on tomorrow or Monday depending upon how things go tomorrow and hopefully I can throw up some pictures of the stupid thing finally installed as I'm about over this little project.

I did get my wheels ceramic coated today and will finish up routing wires for the quick shifter tomorrow and finally get all of my body panels put back on.

I did manage to get this done...removing two bolts and installing two new bolts and a slider seems to be a job I can actually handle. R& G Racing to match my frame sliders and the other engine slider on the left side.

View attachment 46584

View attachment 46585
Sucks about the clamp. On the bright side, the black wheels probably look stunning with the ceramic coating. Plus, the R&G parts are a worthwhile addition. They make good quality kit.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Picking the slip-on up over a lunch tomorrow and new clamp has been ordered but I've got some I can use in the interim.

Second coat of ceramic is going on today and then I'll snap a picture or two.

I'm a fan of the R&G stuff but the Evotech stuff is nice also.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Picking the slip-on up over a lunch tomorrow and new clamp has been ordered but I've got some I can use in the interim.

Second coat of ceramic is going on today and then I'll snap a picture or two.

I'm a fan of the R&G stuff but the Evotech stuff is nice also.
Cool. Still looking forward to seeing that beautiful Akra mounted to the Arrow header!

And, yes, I purchased a bunch of Evotech stuff and it's all been top notch in quality. I'm running their swingarm spools, front and rear axle sliders, frame sliders/crash bobbins, as well as their radiator guard. For most of these parts, it was between them and R&G. Decided to try out the Evotech and I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Cool. Still looking forward to seeing that beautiful Akra mounted to the Arrow header!

And, yes, I purchased a bunch of Evotech stuff and it's all been top notch in quality. I'm running their swingarm spools, front and rear axle sliders, frame sliders/crash bobbins, as well as their radiator guard. For most of these parts, it was between them and R&G. Decided to try out the Evotech and I'm very happy with it.
Not half as much as I am looking forward to having it done! ;)

I typically use either R&G or Sato Racing, I've got a mix of both on the Katana, but I stumbled across the Evotech stuff and it looks like some very nice stuff also. I'm hoping to find out one day if the fender eliminator I ordered ever manages to get here.

On another note, I did order the ACTIVE rear caliper undermount for the Brembo the other day when I ordered some stuff from Japan.Webike...also have a set of the Magical Racing 'Type-2' full carbon bars coming for the Katana and some Lightech chain adjusters.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts