GSXS 1000 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Not half as much as I am looking forward to having it done! ;)

I typically use either R&G or Sato Racing, I've got a mix of both on the Katana, but I stumbled across the Evotech stuff and it looks like some very nice stuff also. I'm hoping to find out one day if the fender eliminator I ordered ever manages to get here.

On another note, I did order the ACTIVE rear caliper undermount for the Brembo the other day when I ordered some stuff from Japan.Webike...also have a set of the Magical Racing 'Type-2' full carbon bars coming for the Katana and some Lightech chain adjusters.
What fender eliminator did you order? And you mentioned a quick shifter. Which one did you go with? I was just looking at the Healtech Quick Shifter Easy again last night. In fact, it's still in my cart on Sportbike Track Gear. I just haven't decided if that's the one I want yet because I have no experience with aftermarket quick shifters, so I don't know if it's a good choice versus the others on the market.

I just placed my first order from Webike last Monday and received it in less than 48 hours from Japan! I'm not sure if that's typical for them, but I was impressed with their speed. Plus, they have some interesting parts that you don't typically see offered Stateside. I'm guessing the GSX-S1000 must be more popular in Japan then it is here, because they have a good selection of cool parts available that I'd never seen before.

Another member posted pictures of his underslung caliper mount a couple weeks ago, which had me thinking about grabbing one, because I prefer that to the factory topside mount. Only thing stopping me is that I believe I'd have to replace the rear caliper with a Brembo unit. I'm not sure the original caliper can be reused in that configuration.

Here's the carbon tank cover I ordered from Webike. I wanted something to protect the tank from zipper/belt scratches, but I didn't want one of the more commonly used vertical stick on tank pads, so when I saw this, I ordered it. It's made by SSK/Speedra and the quality is great. It fit perfectly and the carbon looks beautiful in person. Ignore the horrendous picture quality. I'll have to get better pics later, but you get the idea.

Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Registered
74 Posts
What fender eliminator did you order? And you mentioned a quick shifter. Which one did you go with? I was just looking at the Healtech Quick Shifter Easy again last night. In fact, it's still in my cart on Sportbike Track Gear. I just haven't decided if that's the one I want yet because I have no experience with aftermarket quick shifters, so I don't know if it's a good choice versus the others on the market.

I just placed my first order from Webike last Monday and received it in less than 48 hours from Japan! I'm not sure if that's typical for them, but I was impressed with their speed. Plus, they have some interesting parts that you don't typically see offered Stateside. I'm guessing the GSX-S1000 must be more popular in Japan then it is here, because they have a good selection of cool parts available that I'd never seen before.

Another member posted pictures of his underslung caliper mount a couple weeks ago, which had me thinking about grabbing one, because I prefer that to the factory topside mount. Only thing stopping me is that I believe I'd have to replace the rear caliper with a Brembo unit. I'm not sure the original caliper can be reused in that configuration.

Here's the carbon tank cover I ordered from Webike. I wanted something to protect the tank from zipper/belt scratches, but I didn't want one of the more commonly used vertical stick on tank pads, so when I saw this, I ordered it. It's made by SSK/Speedra and the quality is great. It fit perfectly and the carbon looks beautiful in person. Ignore the horrendous picture quality. I'll have to get better pics later, but you get the idea.
I've got the Yoshimura on my Katana and had a Yosh for the H2 but, unlike on the Katana, you can't really completely hide the turn signal wires and I wasn't a fan of that look, so I ordered an Evotech for the H2.

The Woolich going on the Katana is the first I've done, so I don't have a real good frame of reference. I know there are a lot of folks, on multiple different forums, that like the Healtech. I went with the Woolich as it's all tied-in to the tuning software and I've got different kill times based upon gear and RPM. I probably won't mess with what comes 'standard' within the Woolich software but I thought it was cool that I could change it if I felt a compelling need to do so.

Webike always struck me as a little 'sketchy' but, as you mentioned, they've got some really cool stuff that you can't find over here. I originally looked at them for some parts for my daughter and my Z125s and decided to order...they are crazy fast if they have the items in-stock. The last 18 months has been tough though as a lot of the boutique Japanese vendors are so backed-up with work that it's insane. Some of the Magical Racing parts I ordered have a 6 month lead time but I'm in no hurry.

That is the same mount I ordered and the Brembo calipers aren't hugely expensive...like $100 or depending upon color and the 'Brembo' logo you want. Figure it's worth it just to have something different. They do offer an undermount that works with the stock caliper...I'll see if I can find it in my history.

Some of those little shops do amazing carbon work and that tank cover looks great and will definitely protect against scratches, etc. I looked at a few of them for my Hayabusa and one was almost too big and covered too much of the tank and the other had the company logo basically 'molded' into the cover and I wasn't a big fan of that. Yours looks clean and simple and I like that look.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I've got the Yoshimura on my Katana and had a Yosh for the H2 but, unlike on the Katana, you can't really completely hide the turn signal wires and I wasn't a fan of that look, so I ordered an Evotech for the H2.

The Woolich going on the Katana is the first I've done, so I don't have a real good frame of reference. I know there are a lot of folks, on multiple different forums, that like the Healtech. I went with the Woolich as it's all tied-in to the tuning software and I've got different kill times based upon gear and RPM. I probably won't mess with what comes 'standard' within the Woolich software but I thought it was cool that I could change it if I felt a compelling need to do so.

Webike always struck me as a little 'sketchy' but, as you mentioned, they've got some really cool stuff that you can't find over here. I originally looked at them for some parts for my daughter and my Z125s and decided to order...they are crazy fast if they have the items in-stock. The last 18 months has been tough though as a lot of the boutique Japanese vendors are so backed-up with work that it's insane. Some of the Magical Racing parts I ordered have a 6 month lead time but I'm in no hurry.

That is the same mount I ordered and the Brembo calipers aren't hugely expensive...like $100 or depending upon color and the 'Brembo' logo you want. Figure it's worth it just to have something different. They do offer an undermount that works with the stock caliper...I'll see if I can find it in my history.

Some of those little shops do amazing carbon work and that tank cover looks great and will definitely protect against scratches, etc. I looked at a few of them for my Hayabusa and one was almost too big and covered too much of the tank and the other had the company logo basically 'molded' into the cover and I wasn't a big fan of that. Yours looks clean and simple and I like that look.
Good choice. Definitely wanna keep the wires out of sight for that clean look. I considered the Yoshi eliminator for the GSX-S, but don't particularly care for license plate frames, so I decided against it and went with the one offered by Vagabond Motorsports.

I see why you went with the Woolich if you're already running their software. I might give the Healtech a try. Keep going back and forth as to whether or not I really need a quick shifter. It is a GSX-S after all, so it's not like I'm racing the thing. Clutchless upshifts are already lightning fast and smooth as butter with the slightest release of throttle pressure, so I feel like I can achieve the same result manually. When done properly, the bike sounds just like it's equipped with a quick shifter. I will admit that it would definitely be more fun not to have to manually manipulate the throttle to upshift. If I could shift in both directions I'd already have one on the bike.

I did notice when looking around that the Brembo rear calipers are cheap. I expected to see a price 2-3x their actual cost. Makes me wonder why Suzuki had to pinch pennies and go with the Nissin caliper when they could've done it right for slightly more and had Brembo front and rear. Would've been a nice selling point, at least in my opinion. I like the looks of this one, but I can't seem to figure out who makes it.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Motorcycle

Is this the ACTIVE bracket you ordered? Looks very similar to the one pictured above. Also appears to be well made and priced well.

Toy Input device Font Video game accessory Game controller

Here's a slightly better picture of the carbon tank cover. I'm not familiar with SSK/Speedra other than this one piece, but I am impressed with the quality. They offer an assortment of carbon pieces for the GSX-S. Not sure about the Katana, but I'm sure Webike would list anything available for it.

Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
74 Posts
You can go 'frameless' with the Yosh fender eliminators if you use the plate as a substitute for the license plate frame...it ties everything together and I'm not a fan of the 'free advertising' on their plates either.

I probably didn't 'need' a quick shifter but figured why not...as you mentioned, it's not like it' a race bike and with proper technique you don't really need it for upshifts but in the event I get lazy on a ride it'll be nice to have.

The two piston Brembos (the 'crabs') are very reasonably priced and I don't know why every manufacturer, mostly Suzuki although Kawasaki does it on some of their bikes too, throws Brembos on the front and then puts a Nissin on the back either. Spend the extra $40 and go Brembo all around is the way I see it. Heck, I even went so far as to put color-matched Brembos on my daughter's Z125...the logo 'had' to be pink to match the other highlights on her bike.
Bicycle part Digital camera Motor vehicle Cameras & optics Snout

I couldn't find the caliper mount that is on the bike in the picture but the one I ordered is the Active, exactly as you have pictured. I think total was about $130 for the mount, give or take depending upon exchange rates.

That tank cover looks like it fits well...I had ordered a carbon tank cover 'du jour' off eBay for my Hayabusa and it would have taken so much double-sided tape and pushing here and pulling there to get it mounted only to have it pull up in places 8 hours later I decided to forget the thing and consider it a lesson learned. I'll probably eBay it and say I wasn't fond of the fit but someone else might not have an issue with it. If it fit anything like yours seems to it would have been on the bike my now.

Getting my slip-on today and should have it at least slid on for a picture or two this evening.

·
Registered
493 Posts
You can go 'frameless' with the Yosh fender eliminators if you use the plate as a substitute for the license plate frame...it ties everything together and I'm not a fan of the 'free advertising' on their plates either.

I probably didn't 'need' a quick shifter but figured why not...as you mentioned, it's not like it' a race bike and with proper technique you don't really need it for upshifts but in the event I get lazy on a ride it'll be nice to have.

The two piston Brembos (the 'crabs') are very reasonably priced and I don't know why every manufacturer, mostly Suzuki although Kawasaki does it on some of their bikes too, throws Brembos on the front and then puts a Nissin on the back either. Spend the extra $40 and go Brembo all around is the way I see it. Heck, I even went so far as to put color-matched Brembos on my daughter's Z125...the logo 'had' to be pink to match the other highlights on her bike.
View attachment 46614

I couldn't find the caliper mount that is on the bike in the picture but the one I ordered is the Active, exactly as you have pictured. I think total was about $130 for the mount, give or take depending upon exchange rates.

That tank cover looks like it fits well...I had ordered a carbon tank cover 'du jour' off eBay for my Hayabusa and it would have taken so much double-sided tape and pushing here and pulling there to get it mounted only to have it pull up in places 8 hours later I decided to forget the thing and consider it a lesson learned. I'll probably eBay it and say I wasn't fond of the fit but someone else might not have an issue with it. If it fit anything like yours seems to it would have been on the bike my now.

Getting my slip-on today and should have it at least slid on for a picture or two this evening.
Ah, I didn't know that about the Yoshi eliminator. And that pink Brembo looks great. I bet your daughter loves it! I'll be here looking out for the long awaited pics of the Akra/Arrow!

·
Banned
134 Posts
loosen it up and mount it properly take pictures go to a muffler shop with the slip on they can make adapter pipe and never mismatch parts again.. M4 makes a full system yoshi dale walker and Brocks..and when you are done with this headache the next will be he fueling headache ohh the joys of mods.. myself i would just decaT it and use stock slip on cost 60 dollars..they already have a flash for that done.. buying a header on todays motorcycles are a waste of money for the street .. Track use Okay

·
Registered
74 Posts
We have contact...and it was only a few months in the works but there is an end to the project in sight. Only hold-up is I plan on polishing the end cap and then ceramic coating it and my new exhaust clamp, the one I actually want to use, and it'll finally be done. Not what I would call 'easy' but, given that I don't like any other slip-on as much, I'd go through the hassle again.

Wheel Tire Bicycle Crankset Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Tire Wheel Crankset Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
493 Posts
We have contact...and it was only a few months in the works but there is an end to the project in sight. Only hold-up is I plan on polishing the end cap and then ceramic coating it and my new exhaust clamp, the one I actually want to use, and it'll finally be done. Not what I would call 'easy' but, given that I don't like any other slip-on as much, I'd go through the hassle again.

View attachment 46652 View attachment 46653 View attachment 46654 View attachment 46655
Congratulations! This is what I've been waiting to see and you've finally done it! Looks great, my friend!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Congratulations! This is what I've been waiting to see and you've finally done it! Looks great, my friend!
Thank you...huge PITA as you well know but I am happy with the end result. Learned a few things along the way that might make things easier for the next person who does it, hint, hint, wink, wink, nudge, nudge. :whistle:

·
Registered
493 Posts
The Arrow arrived yesterday and it's very nicely made. I'll be removing the Lextek header and installing the Arrow in it's place tomorrow. Should be a fun Sunday morning project. Then on Monday I'll reach out to a friend and discuss having him modify the Akra to fit.

Font Gas Metal Nickel Auto part

·
Registered
493 Posts
Just removed the Lextek header and got the Arrow prepped to go on. I'll start a new thread later this evening with information and pictures comparing the two. I won't post too much here, but I will say that I was right on the money with my assumption that the Lextek is just a lesser expensive copy of the Arrow. It's actually a great option for those who can't afford the Arrow or simply just don't want to spend the additional money.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Interesting to hear the comparison between the two and at $300 it doesn't sound like you can go wrong with the Lextek if that the route you prefer to go. I haven't seen the Lextek but can say the Arrow is every bit as nice as an Akrapovic or Brock's.

Looking forward to your install and I think, having removed the exhaust valve and all of that other stuff already, it shouldn't take you any time at all.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Interesting to hear the comparison between the two and at $300 it doesn't sound like you can go wrong with the Lextek if that the route you prefer to go. I haven't seen the Lextek but can say the Arrow is every bit as nice as an Akrapovic or Brock's.

Looking forward to your install and I think, having removed the exhaust valve and all of that other stuff already, it shouldn't take you any time at all.
Lextek is definitely a great budget friendly option. Just finished the swap. Easy as pie with all the factory junk already out of the way. I'll start a new comparison thread later this evening if I get some free time.

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
493 Posts
How did you manage to get the Akra on there already? :unsure:
That's my secret! 🤣

Just kidding! I was waiting for you to ask that question. The Arrow mid-pipe outlet is exactly 2" in outside diameter. If measured directly behind the reduced diameter inlet, the Akra is also exactly 2" in outside diameter. What I did was I used my bandsaw to cut the undersized inlet off of the Akra. I cut just behind the inlet where the pipe steps up to it's larger diameter. This exact cut has to be made, anyway, in order to weld on a larger inlet pipe, so it's not detrimental to the slip-on.

Now that the header outlet and the Akra inlet were the same size and directly in line with one another, I installed a 2" stainless steel band clamp. They're used to connect two pieces of exhaust tubing that are identical in outside diameter, and they are very heavy duty. When installed properly, the joint feels nearly as sturdy as one continuous piece of pipe.

Obviously, this is just a temporary solution until I can have the Akra properly modified, but it's a working solution that quelled my impatience and allowed me to start and ride the bike in the meantime.

Here's a picture of the type of band clamp used. It appears large, but it's completely hidden behind the Akra's carbon heat shield and cannot be seen.

Furniture Automotive lighting Product Chair Material property

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well played, my friend, well played!

Honestly, if that thing holds and seals well and you can't see it I don't know if I'd go through all the trouble of having things welded, etc.

Oh yeah, and if the saga hadn't drug on long enough, they once again sent me a 2.44" exhaust clamp in a package that was labeled as a 2.06" clamp. Second time with the same thing happening...I've now got the Akra P-R60 on order. Stuff shouldn't be this difficult.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Well played, my friend, well played!

Honestly, if that thing holds and seals well and you can't see it I don't know if I'd go through all the trouble of having things welded, etc.

Oh yeah, and if the saga hadn't drug on long enough, they once again sent me a 2.44" exhaust clamp in a package that was labeled as a 2.06" clamp. Second time with the same thing happening...I've now got the Akra P-R60 on order. Stuff shouldn't be this difficult.
More trouble with the clamp?! Is it really that difficult to send a guy what he ordered? Geez!

And I'm considering leaving the Akra on there as is, but I'm undecided. We'll see how much it ends up bothering me that it's not technically installed "the right way" even though it's fine. Sometimes things like that bother me. 😬

·
Registered
74 Posts
More trouble with the clamp?! Is it really that difficult to send a guy what he ordered? Geez!

And I'm considering leaving the Akra on there as is, but I'm undecided. We'll see how much it ends up bothering me that it's not technically installed "the right way" even though it's fine. Sometimes things like that bother me. 😬
Kind of what I was thinking...seems Helix Racing has a bit of an issue putting the right size clamp into the appropriate packaging.

I'd ride it for a while and give yourself enough time to forget about it...given this whole 'song and dance' I've had to do in order to do it 'the right way' I think next time I would gladly do it 'the easy way'. Run it the remainder of the season and then see if it bothers you enough to mount it a different way over the winter.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts