GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys

I just bought my first suzuki motorcycle coming from a harley.
Got a new gsx s1000 in the middle east and just done 1200 km , it had it first service on Saturday.

I had a quick question on the engine, ever since I got this bike I have found the engine a little noisey at idle - sounds a little like a clatter / metalic noise from the top of the engine near the exhaust headers. Is this normal?

Also at 2,500-3,000 rpm in any gear the bike is a little jerky / stuttery is this also normal?

Any help advice appreciated

Not sure if I should have made two posts for two questions?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Although I don't own one....yet :), the throttle twitchiness is pretty common on those bikes and can be adjusted, I've test ridden a couple, others have said a tune will sort it out and smooth it out. Hope this helps and enjoy your new bike.

·
Registered
726 Posts
hey guys

I just bought my first suzuki motorcycle coming from a harley.
Got a new gsx s1000 in the middle east and just done 1200 km , it had it first service on Saturday.

I had a quick question on the engine, ever since I got this bike I have found the engine a little noisey at idle - sounds a little like a clatter / metalic noise from the top of the engine near the exhaust headers. Is this normal?

Also at 2,500-3,000 rpm in any gear the bike is a little jerky / stuttery is this also normal?

Any help advice appreciated

Not sure if I should have made two posts for two questions?
Loads on here about the jerky throttle ol lad .. plenty of cure solutions too.. Engine shouldn't be overly noisy ....:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm the jerky throttle is less of a throttle issue , if you hold the throttle when bike stationary in neutral and rev to 2,500 -3,000 the engine isnt smooth its a little stuttery and so when riding along at this engine rpm range you can feel it stuttering.

the jerky twitchy overly sensitive throttle response is another thing....which just reminds you this bike is laughing at you ;)

·
Registered
726 Posts
hmm the jerky throttle is less of a throttle issue , if you hold the throttle when bike stationary in neutral and rev to 2,500 -3,000 the engine isnt smooth its a little stuttery and so when riding along at this engine rpm range you can feel it stuttering.

the jerky twitchy overly sensitive throttle response is another thing....which just reminds you this bike is laughing at you ;)
Yep and that's all down to the dodgy fueling our bikes suffer from new...!!:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So this is normal ? its like kangaroo'ing at this RPM not very safe when going round bends :S ....argh

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry another question ....when you say as long as its not too loud? What defines a loud noise that is something to be concerned about and normal?

The problem I have here is the service / dealership is not very skilled and so they just tell me everything is fine. For my 1,000 km service I had to tell them to check the chain tension etc which was beyond the tolerances in the book

·
Registered
974 Posts
I wouldn't stress too much on this, mine has done it a couple of times after starting it up and at idle and if I hold the bike up straight and give at a few revs it goes away.
My gsx1400 did the same thing and so did many others and they are known to run for 200,000 k's or more and still ticking
I do have a theory on it and someone can correct me if they think I am wrong please.
The ticking noise comes from the top right hand side of the motor and the bike leans to the left on the stand, also the oil is pumped to the top left hand side of the engine( well it does on the 1400) and I believe there is not enough oil getting to the top right hand side as it falls down the chambers and the noise is the valves ticking on cylinder No 4 on the right side, guessing it's still getting oil but not as much as the others
When the 1400 was on the centre stand it was not as bad and it did it also when riding in extreme heat as I am guessing the oil has thinned out and again I could be wrong and please correct me if so but it sounds good in theory to me ;)

Reactions: tonyt
1 - 10 of 10 Posts