GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've changed the front sprocket to a jt rubber cushioned 17t sprocket the rear to a supersprox stealth 45 t 1 t up on std I've reused the original front gearbox sprocket nut and washer. However once torqued up to 115nm theres side play i the sprocket not a massive amount and the washer can be spun around freely
This to me is wrong. Do i need to reace the washer with a new one ? Or any other things I've missed ?
Any ideas people. Also looking at the photo does the new "soft link" link look as if its secure. ? I've used a vernier gauge and the head of the pins on the soft link are bigger than the hsads of the other pinds around it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've changed the front sprocket to a jt rubber cushioned 17t sprocket the rear to a supersprox stealth 45 t 1 t up on std I've reused the original front gearbox sprocket nut and washer. However once torqued up to 115nm theres side play i the sprocket not a massive amount and the washer can be spun around freely
This to me is wrong. Do i need to reace the washer with a new one ? Or any other things I've missed ?
Any ideas people. Also looking at the photo does the new "soft link" link look as if its secure. ? I've used a vernier gauge and the head of the pins on the soft link are bigger than the hsads of the other pinds around it. View attachment 43481
Any ideas people. Also looking at the photo does the new "soft link" link look as if its secure. ? I've used a vernier gauge and the head of the pins on the soft link are bigger than the hsads of the other pinds around it. View attachment 43481
is the front sprocket on the right way round some have a front ? as for the chain look on youtube plenty of videos on chains

·
Registered
593 Posts
I've always just flared the link to approximately the size of the factory rivets.
As far as the sprocket, I've reused the factory nut as well without issue.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
The revit looks good to me. You can always attack the end with a ball pein hammer if you want to make it a bit more mushroomed looking.
I'm expecting my chain and sprocket kit to arrive today. I've gone for the same front sprocket so I'll let you know if I have the same problem when I fit it this weekend

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I measure the width across the link joint and compare it to the rest of the chain.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Fitted the front sprocket this morning. Reused the original washer and nut and there was no play in the sprocket after tightening in up.
It did look like there was another washer behind the sprocket but when given a judicious poke with a screwdriver it didn’t move so I left it alone. It made me wonder if it was a washer could it have stuck to your original sprocket and is no longer where it should be???
Might be worth checking or getting a microfiche of the primary drive and seeing if there are one or two washers in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Cheers!
It must have been the end of item 42 which I thought could be a washer. I don’t think that would have come out with the sprocket without you noticing
I’d double check your part numbers and make sure you’ve been sent the right one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
doing the same soon but going down 1 at the front to 16t , ive hit speeds on this bike that ive no interest in doing again & realise that holding on for life in the name of speed is overated &not even a buzz.
I do Love acceleration though.
Sprocket & Chain coming soon

·
Registered
46 Posts
doing the same soon but going down 1 at the front to 16t , ive hit speeds on this bike that ive no interest in doing again & realise that holding on for life in the name of speed is overated &not even a buzz.
I do Love acceleration though.
Sprocket & Chain coming soon
Exactly. You won't regret your decision.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
is the front sprocket on the right way round some have a front ? as for the chain look on youtube plenty of videos on chains
Just by the looks of the crush pins you did a good job. Typically as long as the flexed metal isn’t cracked and or split it’ll hold just fine....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts