GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i originally wanted to have some sort of adjustment for my foot pegs. At first I bought extendable ones seen below. They made my feet stick out too far though.

I looked into adjustable rear sets like the ones from litech but they we're all starting at $280 and above.
So I bought a set from China for $120. They had black, silver, and gold. They were out of the black though so I bought silver and had some powder coating done. I actually don't mind this because now there is a little bit of contrast

Build quality of solid aluminum. I can't speak to the Specific quality of the metal but it seems as solid as can be expected. Not sure how paying triple could be worth it.....so far.
I will post a follow up after I try to mount them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
Nice!
I've been waiting for something like those, using buell pegs right now. Can you please share a link to where you go those?

·
Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
1,600 Posts
According to the Ebay description they are higher and further back, as you would expect "Rearsets" to be.
Can anyone confirm this.
Not ideal for those wanting to replace Buell pegs, or can they be set lower?
Any info welcome.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put them on yesterday. I have not taken exact measurements but they can be adjusted to a very neutral position. Very close to stock in its most neutral setup and relatively aggressive in the other extreme.

Im not sure if these are rip offs of the mgp racing ones but they have almost the same exact design and are about $250 cheaper......their is a video on youtube of someone installing the mgp ones on a gsx-s1000 that would serve as a perfect installation guide.

gsx-s1000 sato racing rearsets you tube - Bing video

MGP
https://www.hotbodiesracing.com/product/gsx-s-1000-2015-17-mgp-rear-sets/

Probably made by the same company in china and then ripped off with small changes.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

So here they are mounted. I couldn't actually powder coat the break and shift levers because the bearings are still in them and those could not go into an oven. They are spray-painted but the paint does not seem to hold very well. I will likely revert them to silver but it Will still look good like that.
As mentioned it is a little bit sportier but truthfully can be configured to a very neutral position
The only pain in the butt was finding the right foot peg position required me to loosen them from the frame enough to provide enough clearance for the bolt to be removed from the foot peg....... I would not have applied my thread locker yet and I thought of this ahead of time.
My other problem was they forgot to include the brake lever return spring..... I found a suitable replacement in the hardware store but it's the principle of it dammit

·
Registered
379 Posts
Great thread - I'm interested in doing something different with my footpegs.

With the stock setup I noticed my feet are partly on the footpeg bracket, so the Buell pegs wouldn't work for me (or I'd have to have my feet farther out, and effectively reduce the width of the foot peg)

I personally wouldn't feel great about 'unknown' quality metal or brand. God forbid something breaks when I'm standing on the pegs... I hope I'm just over-cautious and whoever gets the less expensive ones never has a problem.

Also, having just scraped one of the stock pegs for the first time, I feel like the 'feelers' are a good thing... Maybe better riders appreciate not having them, but this is my first real performance bike and I'll take any advanced warning I can get of excessive lean angle.

·
Registered
53 Posts
So i originally wanted to have some sort of adjustment for my foot pegs. At first I bought extendable ones seen below. They made my feet stick out too far though.

I looked into adjustable rear sets like the ones from litech but they we're all starting at $280 and above.
So I bought a set from China for $120. They had black, silver, and gold. They were out of the black though so I bought silver and had some powder coating done. I actually don't mind this because now there is a little bit of contrast

Build quality of solid aluminum. I can't speak to the Specific quality of the metal but it seems as solid as can be expected. Not sure how paying triple could be worth it.....so far.
I will post a follow up after I try to mount them

How are the chinese rear sets holding up so far? No problems?.... China parts usually only last about a year according to various experiences from a few friends. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So far so good. When I looked at them closely they appear to be the same exact as other ones available on the Internet cost 2 to 3 times as much wonder if those sellers didn't hire someone in China to manufacture and they are now just reselling the design.

·
Registered
71 Posts
So far so good. When I looked at them closely they appear to be the same exact as other ones available on the Internet cost 2 to 3 times as much wonder if those sellers didn't hire someone in China to manufacture and they are now just reselling the design.

Indeed, MGP from Hotbodies Racing appear to be the same rearsets. These guys actually have black/red ones available, no need to paint them ;) Still, it's kinda hard to justify the inflated price

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Indeed, MGP from Hotbodies Racing appear to be the same rearsets. These guys actually have black/red ones available, no need to paint them ;) Still, it's kinda hard to justify the inflated price

That's the company.... it was cheaper for me to buy the silver ones from China and have them powder coated here. I would have bought them black anodized but when I ordered from China they said their last black pair had been crushed. They have probably restocked the color by now though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's the company.... it was cheaper for me to buy the silver ones from China and have them powder coated here. I would have bought them black anodized but when I ordered from China they said their last black pair had been crushed. They have probably restocked the color by now though.

Do you know if it would be possible to switch to gp-style shifting with theese?

Edit:Did som more googeling and realize that this was a stupid question. One can just flip the c-nut in front.

·
Registered
172 Posts

So here they are mounted. I couldn't actually powder coat the break and shift levers because the bearings are still in them and those could not go into an oven. They are spray-painted but the paint does not seem to hold very well. I will likely revert them to silver but it Will still look good like that.
As mentioned it is a little bit sportier but truthfully can be configured to a very neutral position
The only pain in the butt was finding the right foot peg position required me to loosen them from the frame enough to provide enough clearance for the bolt to be removed from the foot peg....... I would not have applied my thread locker yet and I thought of this ahead of time.
My other problem was they forgot to include the brake lever return spring..... I found a suitable replacement in the hardware store but it's the principle of it dammit

Totally unrelated, but do you have a link to where you bought those rim stripes?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No issues at all with the rearsets. When I first bought them I actually found someone selling the exact same shape rearsets in europe under a different name brand but they were charging just over $300. This made me wonder if the european model was being made in china and the company performing the manufacturing was just reselling unbranded.

A lot of people inherently trash talk Chinese made parts but its a little racist to do that I think....there are a billion people in that country. I'm sure not every manufacturer there is identical and i'm sure there are more than 1.

I've personally had very good luck with the quality of my chinese source motorcycle and bicycle parts. I've purchased full carbon fiber MTB frames made in China by the same company that builds frames for Cannondale. I can tell you that my chinese frame is almost as nice as my Cannondale. (My Cannondale cost more than the suzuki.)

I get the feeling this selling of unbranded items designed by big name companies is commonplace there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi, I installed these Chinese rearsets last week, and have a question about the exhaust attachment point on the RHS.

So I took the rubber inside spacer (my terminology) and nut/bolt from the stock rearset, and put the spacer through the bolt hole in the new rearset. Now there were two options for attaching the exhaust hanger to the rearset:

1. Exhaust between rearset and swingarm
2. Rearset between exhaust and swingarm

I tried (2), but ended up going with (1) - appeared to be lower distortion. However, it would be good to know how you all fixed this. Will attach pics tomorrow when I'm home.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts