GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually have some sort of project competing for my free time. The bike drew the short straw this time...

Turbo is a Borg Warner EFR6258. Haven't made much progress yet; just dropped the exhaust out and zip tied the turbo in the general area where it will eventually reside. Goals are 6psi, air-to-air intercooled, and as non-invasive as possible. I make every effort in my mod projects to keep from making irreversible changes to a vehicle, so I won't be cutting any fairings. I figured I might have to trim the inner fairing bits, but after getting the turbo up there I was happy to see that it doesn't look like I'll need to despite how long the turbo is. I'll be making some plumbing decisions that I'll call "less than efficient", but as I am expecting some boost creep I actually welcome some pumping losses. Was hoping to keep the oil cooler as well, but I don't think that's going to be possible. I don't have any power goals...whatever it makes is what it makes. I won't be able to work on it much this month due to traveling for work, but I should be able to put in some time next month and maybe get it finished before the end of April or early May. That's the beginning of riding season in Detroit, so I'm looking forward to a boosted season on two wheels!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Couple notes as I put this together in my head and in online shopping carts, since I can't currently work on it...

Though Suzuki says this engine is based on the K5, the exhaust spigot diameter is the K7 and later diameter. Up to the K6 GSXR 1000s they used a 1.650" diameter spigot, whereas the K7 and later used a 1.750" spigot. Would have received the wrong part when I head back home next weekend were it not for Jay at Monster Turbos looking out for me. Even went as far as taking a picture of the flanges to describe the difference.

I will be attempting this endeavor without a scavenge pump so long as I don't have any issues not running one. There are pros and cons both to running a scavenge pump and not running a pump, but I am inclined to omit it. The main draw for me not having a pump is that it can't fail if its not there. I want to keep this bike 100% reliable, and scavenge pumps are another failure item. In addition, a pump will add considerable froth to the oil which isn't desirable. However, having a scavenge pump would guarantee oil is always drawn away from the drain of the turbo and prevent any build up in the return line. In order to prevent a potential back-up of oil in the drain line without a scavenge pump, if I can mount the turbo sufficiently above oil level, I intend to oversize the drain line to give the oil additional 'room to flow'. Typically for a ball bearing turbo with restricted oil flow, a -8 AN return line would be fine. Instead I'll use a -12 AN line. The additional volume should provide enough room to prevent too much wall adherence as the oil drains and allow for free flow. I anticipate there will be a fixed, trapped volume of air in the drain line above the oil level after the first start fills up the drain line. Recalling some freshman chemistry math, once that air heats up with coolant/oil temp it should generate 3-4psi of pressure on the drain side of the turbo. Fortunately the hydrostatic pressure of the oil should be nearly negligible and the air will just expand instead of building significant pressure. That way the oil will have a little extra volume once things heat up and oil flow increases. This all of course depends on whether or not I can mount the turbo high enough without touching the radiator. Since I won't be making any permanent modifications, if there isn't room a scavenge pump will be my last resort.

Though I may not need it, I plan on running one of RC's Performance oil filter relocators. They are intended for GSXRs, but it looks like they'll work for this bike too. Moving the filter should make for easier oil changes and easier routing of the exhaust pipe. I have no desire to dump the exhaust out the side of the bike, so it will be forcefully routed rearward and up into the OE muffler. I don't mind the quieter exhaust note as it is now, and turbo whistle is cooler than loud exhaust anyway :) It should be fairly restrictive, which is fine since I don't think the wastegate port will flow enough to keep boost levels where I want them. In fact I'm also anticipating having to run an IndyCar Racing-style inlet restrictor on the compressor housing to drive turbine energy requirements up. Without an external wastegate to help bypass exhaust around the turbine (and complicate the build), I'll need to control flow through the gate. So the only way to do that is make the turbo work a bit harder. More on that once the project is nearing completion...

I'll be able to do some fab work on the manifold next weekend, so I'll have more pictures and comments then.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Little progress last weekend, not as much as I had hoped for. But its going somewhere. Got the turbo into its final position. Zip ties were great for positioning this thing in close quarters!

I put together a jig to do all of the fabricating on the bench instead of on the bike. Should make for a little easier job. Also replaces the zip ties.

And turns out that I will definitely need a scavenge pump...there's just no getting around it. The turbo is just too close to oil level for any kind of gravity drain to be effective. I plan on purchasing an extra pump to store in the tail end of the bike in case I start making clouds on the highway. Little difficult to see in this pic, but the turbo center line is right at the oil level.

Oil filter relocator installed on the oil cooler. The stand pipe for the filter is too long without the oil cooler so I had to purchase a new one, one that comes stock on the GSX-R I believe. Pic of the old long one.

Here we are, no zip ties. It doesn't touch anything as it currently sits, but with the exhaust v-band clamp and air inlet plumbing included, it will contact the inner fairing piece. So a little trimming will be necessary. I also added some spacers and longer bolts to the fairing mounting points to widen the 'belly' where the turbo resides. It looks just fine to me, pretty unnoticeable to the untrained eye. I don't think it will cause any exceptional aero issues, but if it does I will just have to find a new solution.

With all of the oil/water lines, intake and exhaust pipes, scavenge pump and whatnot, I can see this quickly becoming a game of tetris underneath the bike. But it has been pretty fun so far! I will have more completed and more pictures in about two weeks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Little progress last weekend, not as much as I had hoped for. But its going somewhere. Got the turbo into its final position. Zip ties were great for positioning this thing in close quarters!

I put together a jig to do all of the fabricating on the bench instead of on the bike. Should make for a little easier job. Also replaces the zip ties.

And turns out that I will definitely need a scavenge pump...there's just no getting around it. The turbo is just too close to oil level for any kind of gravity drain to be effective. I plan on purchasing an extra pump to store in the tail end of the bike in case I start making clouds on the highway. Little difficult to see in this pic, but the turbo center line is right at the oil level.

Oil filter relocator installed on the oil cooler. The stand pipe for the filter is too long without the oil cooler so I had to purchase a new one, one that comes stock on the GSX-R I believe. Pic of the old long one.

Here we are, no zip ties. It doesn't touch anything as it currently sits, but with the exhaust v-band clamp and air inlet plumbing included, it will contact the inner fairing piece. So a little trimming will be necessary. I also added some spacers and longer bolts to the fairing mounting points to widen the 'belly' where the turbo resides. It looks just fine to me, pretty unnoticeable to the untrained eye. I don't think it will cause any exceptional aero issues, but if it does I will just have to find a new solution.

With all of the oil/water lines, intake and exhaust pipes, scavenge pump and whatnot, I can see this quickly becoming a game of tetris underneath the bike. But it has been pretty fun so far! I will have more completed and more pictures in about two weeks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very impressive, what lead you to size that turbo? Any calculations?
Yes, but not much. My options were pretty limited since I wanted an internal wastegate. I considered a GTX2867r, but the wastegate port placement is a poor choice for the gate flow I'll be needing. So it was really between the EFR 6258 or 6758. Both are small and light enough to spool well but large enough to keep compressor speed down at low boost levels. I found a great deal on the 6258, so that's what I chose.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Didn't accomplish as much as I had hoped this weekend... The post office lost one of my packages, so I burned almost two days waiting on parts. I took care of a few miscellaneous details while waiting but couldn't do much. Ended up completing the turbine/exhaust adapter and got started on the manifold mockup. Also received the scavenge pump, which is larger than expected once you're looking for a place to stuff the thing under the bike.

The pump has to hang low and will be somewhat visible. There just isn't enough room with everything I'll have crammed into the belly of the bike. Not too excited about that, but then again I have been staring at the thing from basically ground level. Once the bike is finished and in a parking spot somewhere, the pump may not be visible unless you crouch down to look underneath. While the pump location will suck, I'm pleased with how the manifold is looking after a few tack welds. This week I'll try to get the rest of the pieces cut and sized so I can clean off the MIG tacks and bring it to someone to be TIG'd. Not optimal to do it that way, I know..but since I don't have a TIG welder nor the skills required to use one, this is how I have to approach it. Hopefully next weekend I'll be able to haul ass and put in some serious work.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. To anybody who has taken the tank off, preferably someone who currently has the tank off...what is the center spacing and outside diameter of the throttle bodies? I need to grab a GSX-R turbo plenum, but have not had the tank off yet. Won't be able to get hands on the bike again until this weekend, so info is appreciated!

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Wow, that's quite the undertaking and kudos for such a unique project. But... I just have to say, MY GOD! HOW MUCH POWER DO YOU NEED!!!
JK - This is my first liter bike and just stock seems like more power than anyone should really have. ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Plan is to place an air to air intercooler where the exhaust resonator was. Figure it is wasted space otherwise. Going to be interesting getting it back there, no doubt.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Small intercooler for small power! Not for small children. It isn't a very high end core design, so worst case scenario it makes a half decent aluminum heat sink while in boost. End tanks come in tomorrow...if I have time this weekend after working on the manifold and exhaust, I'll try to get started on this as well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Progress from last weekend. I've never fabbed a manifold like this before...it was definitely a long, arduous process. I didn't get many pictures during the process, but here's what it looks like now. Only thing left on this piece is to make sure it still fits after the heat cycling and potential warping from the welding and then putting an extra little support on. I'll also be cleaning off the jig straps and the MIG welds and probably 'porting' the pieces that joined together in the flange outlet.

·
Registered
437 Posts
D a m n you, you talented person ;-)

·
Registered
152 Posts
That's awesome, nice work!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts