GSXS 1000 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Why Turbocharge our bike? Because he's got skills.
Very impressed with your skills and knowledge. Something tells me this bike is going to be all over the internet when its completed and the word gets out. Very nice work.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Why Turbocharge our bike? Because he's got skills.
Very impressed with your skills and knowledge. Something tells me this bike is going to be all over the internet when its completed and the word gets out. Very nice work.
Something tells me you are right, but also its gonna go through two or three rear tyres to one front >:D

Reactions: Joe Garfield

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks guys! I'm hoping the stock muffler should keep it fairly low profile; don't need too much attention. I'm probably the millionth person to put a turbo on a liter bike, but this may be the first turbo Suzuki with traction control. I'm really curious to see how well it plays along with the added torque. If the traction control isn't bouncing up against any spark authority or thermal limits, I'm thinking it'll be extremely useful in making the bike more rideable. I'm planning/hoping to complete the majority of the remaining work during this long holiday weekend.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks guys! I'm hoping the stock muffler should keep it fairly low profile; don't need too much attention. I'm probably the millionth person to put a turbo on a liter bike, but this may be the first turbo Suzuki with traction control. I'm really curious to see how well it plays along with the added torque. If the traction control isn't bouncing up against any spark authority or thermal limits, I'm thinking it'll be extremely useful in making the bike more rideable. I'm planning/hoping to complete the majority of the remaining work during this long holiday weekend.
What kinda HP and TQ numbers are you estimating to get at the rear wheel? I have a 2.0 Liter Focus St that runs the same turbo I believe. It is a torque monster putting out 358 Ft lbs to the ground and 257 HP running 21-22 pounds of boost. It is tuned by FREEKTUNE.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
What kinda HP and TQ numbers are you estimating to get at the rear wheel? I have a 2.0 Liter Focus St that runs the same turbo I believe. It is a torque monster putting out 358 Ft lbs to the ground and 257 HP running 21-22 pounds of boost. It is tuned by FREEKTUNE.
Expecting in the range of 190-200hp and 105-110ft lbs. I'll probably run into some unexpected surprises before that happens, but at a max of around 6psi that is likely what it'll be capable of.

·
Registered
209 Posts
dude that is friggen bad ass ! good job on your work. 6 psi should give you 60-70 whp no problem. That bike is gonna be a FREAK !!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Exhaust mocked up. Need to check intake pipe, scavenge pump and oil line fitment/routing before I put the final welds on. I'll also get a wideband bung welded in and the pipe will be wrapped the whole length in fiberglass header wrap. Today will be building intercooler, intake pipes, oil lines and brackets...more to come.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
More progress... Got a lot more done than I captured in these pics, just didn't get all of it. There are a LOT of little tedious things that sort of go unseen but are critical to this whole project working correctly. I spent probably 8 hours this weekend making simple brackets to hold things in a specific place. The fit and finish is a bit rough right now because I ran out of time. Still have the remainder of the intake pipe to fab up as well as some more plumbing/adjustments and TIG welding all of it. Also have plans/accommodations for plenty of heat shielding between intake and exhaust. Half-assembled pics of intercooler, intake and exhaust pipe routing, oil lines (and my snag on the turbo drain) and a couple other things.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Got a few things welded up. Intercooler and some intake pipes, new overflow tank for coolant, an extra support for the manifold, and had to reweld primaries 1 and 4. I noticed they both sort of 'peeled away' from the mounting surface, one by about 0.020" and the other by about 0.060". Cutting them off and welding the gap left one at 0.025" and the other at 0.045". Torque spec on the headers is 16.5lbft, and at 15lbft they are all flat. So I'm going to try running it as is and hope it seals. The gaskets should take some nonuniformity, but not much. Of course new gaskets for this bike are so new they're on back order lol. Goal this weekend is to bolt all hot parts up and get it started so I can leak check it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Actually it may never see a dyno. I can calibrate the bike well enough without one as it will be far below max effort. Since I don't have a particular power requirement or goal, the number is sort of unimportant to me. I will try to get GoPro video of the speedo during some power pulls though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
One step closer to riding this thing... Was finally able to start it this weekend! Got everything plumbed up enough to get it running and leak check it. Still have a lot to do, especially cosmetic details which I've been neglecting in order to just get it mobile. I promise the tape and zip ties are temporary though lol. There are a few more intake pipes to weld up and I still need to figure out exactly how I'm going to approach the intake air filter. My filter placement idea didn't work out as I had hoped once all of the intake pipes were mocked up. It all fits (barely)...but there's next to nothing for air filter room. I'm going to tackle that next weekend.

Definitely liking how it sounds with the stock muffler. Its about the same volume with a little bit more rasp in the tone. Not obnoxious at all, but enough to hint that it's not totally stock ;)

https://youtu.be/aVH-07zb9xA

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Actually it may never see a dyno. I can calibrate the bike well enough without one as it will be far below max effort. Since I don't have a particular power requirement or goal, the number is sort of unimportant to me. I will try to get GoPro video of the speedo during some power pulls though.
One step closer to riding this thing... Was finally able to start it this weekend! Got everything plumbed up enough to get it running and leak check it. Still have a lot to do, especially cosmetic details which I've been neglecting in order to just get it mobile. I promise the tape and zip ties are temporary though lol. There are a few more intake pipes to weld up and I still need to figure out exactly how I'm going to approach the intake air filter. My filter placement idea didn't work out as I had hoped once all of the intake pipes were mocked up. It all fits (barely)...but there's next to nothing for air filter room. I'm going to tackle that next weekend.

Definitely liking how it sounds with the stock muffler. Its about the same volume with a little bit more rasp in the tone. Not obnoxious at all, but enough to hint that it's not totally stock ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
She's nearing completion. Anticipating "rideable" status some time tomorrow. Need to finish installing electronic stuff, tank/fairings and a few other odds and ends before I begin the calibration process.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Nice work!

Was the spacing of your throttle bodies the same as a 2006 or 2007 GSXR?

21 - 40 of 67 Posts