GSXS 1000 Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
It was a great effort. Look at the bright side. Once its back to stock, you still have a very fast bike that responds well to intake, exhaust and tune.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Interesting thread to follow.
Lots of good thinking/testing.
But:
Albeit it is good to be very conservative/careful with boost level, I think it is no point in making a turbo-kit for any bike that do not reach *at least* 0.5bar boost.
Even then the increase in power will not be *that* impressive (perhaps somewhere in the 180-190HP region). And then the fueling *must* be perfect (very hard with the OEM setup as in this build).
I would not even consider a turbo build unless reducing compression (base gasket or better turbo pistons) and going for 1.0bar+ boost.
Which imply fuel pump/setup with return line... etc..etc..

The report/writing about Dynojet/Powercommander "Autotune" is on the spot.
This Autotune module is too "crude" to be of any real use unless setup on a "break" dyno where constant rpm/load can be held.
As the OP have found out, the module do not filter out cell transtions (accelerating) as it should (when calculating fuel changes necessary to achieve desired AFR).
At least this is also my experience with trying out this device on my ex GSF1250.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
All good things have conservative beginnings :) 190hp would be a riot on this bike. I'm ok leaving it there when the time comes to fix the exhaust. Beyond that the engine would need some additional modifications and I'm not really interested in taking it that far.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
So, I did some more testing last weekend and made some new discoveries. Even with a makeshift exhaust adapter that flows much better than the one I originally built, it still doesn't pick up much power. These bikes are just too sensitive to exhaust back pressure. The only remedy I can see is either cutting the fairings to make an exhaust dump tube to relieve post-turbo pressure or cranking up the boost enough that I need new fuel injectors and/or a boost referenced fuel supply. I refuse to do either of these things, so I think I'm going to get rid of the kit. Better off with someone who might use it than sitting on my shelf forever. I will post up a for-sale thread here in a little while.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I usually have some sort of project competing for my free time. The bike drew the short straw this time...

Turbo is a Borg Warner EFR6258. Haven't made much progress yet; just dropped the exhaust out and zip tied the turbo in the general area where it will eventually reside. Goals are 6psi, air-to-air intercooled, and as non-invasive as possible. I make every effort in my mod projects to keep from making irreversible changes to a vehicle, so I won't be cutting any fairings. I figured I might have to trim the inner fairing bits, but after getting the turbo up there I was happy to see that it doesn't look like I'll need to despite how long the turbo is. I'll be making some plumbing decisions that I'll call "less than efficient", but as I am expecting some boost creep I actually welcome some pumping losses. Was hoping to keep the oil cooler as well, but I don't think that's going to be possible. I don't have any power goals...whatever it makes is what it makes. I won't be able to work on it much this month due to traveling for work, but I should be able to put in some time next month and maybe get it finished before the end of April or early May. That's the beginning of riding season in Detroit, so I'm looking forward to a boosted season on two wheels!
I. Have a gsxs 1000 I’d like to turbo or supercharge cost is an issue.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
there's no way that will work easily. I cant see it. can our blocks handle boost? or do they need new internals.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts