GSXS 1000 Forum banner
421 - 440 of 454 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Not ideal getting bags late, but I'd rather do it this way if it means getting the bike sooner. Besides, you'll need to take the bike in for the 1000 km service anyways, you can get the cases installed then.
I mean, you don’t have too. I just buy the oil change stuff and do myself. It’s not legal to require service to retain warranty to be done at dealer

W receipt of items etc you’re covered under warranty

·
Registered
615 Posts
Not ideal getting bags late, but I'd rather do it this way if it means getting the bike sooner. Besides, you'll need to take the bike in for the 1000 km service anyways, you can get the cases installed then.
My dealer asked me if "I was ok with getting the bags before the cases"...lol...I said yep...I can break it in first!

·
Registered
487 Posts
I mean, you don’t have too. I just buy the oil change stuff and do myself. It’s not legal to require service to retain warranty to be done at dealer

W receipt of items etc you’re covered under warranty
Might be different in the US but my dealer specifically told me the first service had to be done by an authorized suzuki dealer in order to retain the warranty, they record your VIN in their system that it was done. Any future oil changes can be done by yourself and it won't void the warranty. The first service isn't just an oil change, they do other stuff too, not sure what exactly. I got told the exact same thing by a different Suzuki dealer in 2016 when I bought my F.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Might be different in the US but my dealer specifically told me the first service had to be done by an authorized suzuki dealer in order to retain the warranty, they record your VIN in their system that it was done. Any future oil changes can be done by yourself and it won't void the warranty. The first service isn't just an oil change, they do other stuff too, not sure what exactly. I got told the exact same thing by a different Suzuki dealer in 2016 when I bought my F.
I wouldn’t dream of doing it any other way.

·
Registered
972 Posts
in america, you have the right to do the work yourself.
as long as you get the oil, filter, Material etc, receipt date, stamp it and keep annotation of it. that is proof for warranty.
it doesnt need to be entered into the vin computer, it will be honored.
in my area, dealerships want like 500 bucks for a service/oil change. effff them all of em

·
Registered
303 Posts
in america, you have the right to do the work yourself.
as long as you get the oil, filter, Material etc, receipt date, stamp it and keep annotation of it. that is proof for warranty.
it doesnt need to be entered into the vin computer, it will be honored.
in my area, dealerships want like 500 bucks for a service/oil change. effff them all of em
An oil change is, at most, a one hour job at a dealer. Subtracting parts, you're saying labor is - what? - $400 an hour? I thought my dealer was expensive, but he's cheap compared to yours!

·
Registered
972 Posts
The first service I believe would include a valve check. To me it’s money we’ll spent. I will do regular service after the first one myself.
people claim this, but ive never had a motorcycle with valves out of spec when I did pay to have them checked EVER. so I dont check em anymore. no point imo.
I bet they dont even look at them half the time

id pay 200 for a service, but my dealers charge 400-600 per service. off with them.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Valves - I recently had the 18,000-mile service for my S1000RR (this is the first service that includes plugs and valve check...a nice long interval), and the valves were in spec. As for the plugs...who knows? The engine ran beautifully. Still, it's a nice feeling knowing plugs/valves are good. But, yeah, doesn't seem like valves go out of spec.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Valves - I recently had the 18,000-mile service for my S1000RR (this is the first service that includes plugs and valve check...a nice long interval), and the valves were in spec. As for the plugs...who knows? The engine ran beautifully. Still, it's a nice feeling knowing plugs/valves are good. But, yeah, doesn't seem like valves go out of spec.
its just weird. I have a Generac generator, they literally try to force people to pay yearly valve checks with oil intervals, like 300 dollar annual service.

nope, im on year 8, all I do is change oil every 2-3 years. I had them checked out of curiosity last year, 100% in spec.

never paying for valve check again, my generator turns on every week and does test, and also when power goes out it runs. do valves really go out of spec on their own or is it a cause of something else failing.

·
Registered
615 Posts
its just weird. I have a Generac generator, they literally try to force people to pay yearly valve checks with oil intervals, like 300 dollar annual service.

nope, im on year 8, all I do is change oil every 2-3 years. I had them checked out of curiosity last year, 100% in spec.

never paying for valve check again, my generator turns on every week and does test, and also when power goes out it runs. do valves really go out of spec on their own or is it a cause of something else failing.
Well when you ride 2000 miles or less a year...I understand why it's not important to you...I will do 3000 miles in the next two weeks....keeping on top of stuff if very important when you put the kind of miles on a year that I do....you are an exception....at least to the people I ride with

·
Registered
487 Posts
I do about 20,000 kms a year, although I also have another bike so that's only 10k per bike. I try to take 1 or 2 week-long touring trips each summer, the rest is mostly weekend riding.

I highly doubt they do a valve check on the 1st service, where do you hear that? That is a pretty big job and the first service only took like 2 hours on my last bike, I doubt they did a valve check in 2 hrs.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I do about 20,000 kms a year, although I also have another bike so that's only 10k per bike. I try to take 1 or 2 week-long touring trips each summer, the rest is mostly weekend riding.

I highly doubt they do a valve check on the 1st service, where do you hear that? That is a pretty big job and the first service only took like 2 hours on my last bike, I doubt they did a valve check in 2 hrs.
and if they tell you they "listen" to the valves, they are full of chit. ive heard sales people claim this is done and charging you for valve check.

421 - 440 of 454 Posts