GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - New guy here. Just wondering if anyone else here has experience with a Kawasaki ZX14R that can offer some comparisons of it to this new Suzuki GT?

My ZX14R is a 2013 with 15k miles. I really like it, fits me great, at 54 I'm still 'OK' with the forward lean (do have 1" riders), and way back when new I set it up with a Givi top case and side cases to go on extended trips, which I've done a few times. Mainly I ride with buds to a lunch spot an hour or 2 away, with just the top case so I can pop in my helmet, jacket and gloves and lock 'em up.

The Suzi's interests for me 1) It'd be a brand new bike whereas mine is 10 years old now (although mine is in fantastic shape since it's kept 100% in my enclosed garage, and under a dust cover, I take good care of it (all maintenance, always clean, etc), and don't race or abuse it), 2) Cruise, 3) Quickshifter, 4) Weight, Suzi is 95 lbs lighter (498 Suzi vs 593 ZX), 5) More upright riding position.

I went today to check out and sit on a new blue '23 today. Seems very nice. Def didn't feel anything negative about the riding position, look, or overall feel, as can happen right off the bat when checking out a new bike. Nothing felt funky; seemed good.

Mostly wondering what all the differences are that you think I'll feel, maybe things that don't necessarily show up in specs alone.

Here's my ZX during our 2015 NC Blue Ridge Parkway trip:
Tire Sky Wheel Cloud Vehicle

Nov '22 Blue Ridge Parkway trip. Top case-only is the way I almost always ride:
Sky Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle

Thanks all ...

· Registered
2022 GSX-S1000GT+ blue
304 Posts
Same question, can you keep both? The riding position is much more aggressive on the 14R. Cruise is almost a must have for me now that I've had it on a Goldwing, FZ10, and now this. I would say the GT must handle better. It obviously has nowhere near the power of the 14R. I still love the looks of the Kawi though.

Reactions: extrap

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Welcome,

I guess only you can make the decision. Can you buy the GSXS-GT and keep the ZZR1400?
Same question, can you keep both? The riding position is much more aggressive on the 14R. Cruise is almost a must have for me now that I've had it on a Goldwing, FZ10, and now this. I would say the GT must handle better. It obviously has nowhere near the power of the 14R. I still love the looks of the Kawi though.
Yeah, OK, I guess I could do that. Already got a garage full of toys, what's one more 😁 Was mostly looking for more experienced opinions to help me decide.

Funny, the dealer keeps calling me. I told them I want their out-the-door price, but they said they don't give out-the-door prices over the phone. I'm very patient :)

· Registered
85 Posts
I asked ChatGPT: Just wondering if anyone else here has experience with a Kawasaki ZX14R that can offer some comparisons of it to this new Suzuki GSXS1000GT?

I am a language model AI and i don't have personal experience with a Kawasaki ZX14R or Suzuki GSXS1000GT. However, I can provide you with some general information that might help you to compare the two bikes. The Kawasaki ZX14R is a sport-touring motorcycle that is known for its power and speed. It has a 1441cc engine, which is one of the largest in its class. The Suzuki GSXS1000GT, on the other hand, is a sport motorcycle with a 999cc engine. It is designed to provide a balance of power and agility. The ZX14R is a bit more powerful and heavy than the GSXS1000GT, which gives it a more stable ride and better top-speed performance. The GSXS1000GT is more agile and nimble, making it more suitable for tight turns and winding roads. The ZX14R comes with a more comfortable riding position and more advanced suspension, which makes it ideal for long-distance riding. The GSXS1000GT is more focused on sporty riding, and it's riding position is more aggressive. In summary, The ZX14R is better for high-speed touring, and the GSXS1000GT is better for sporty and agile riding. It's important to point out that this is a general comparison and a test ride would give a better idea of how the two bikes compare in terms of handling, ride quality and overall performance.
I then reworded the question: Should I replace my 2013 Kawasaki ZX14R with the newer Suzuki GSXS1000GT?
It depends on your personal preferences and riding needs. If you are looking for a sportier and more agile bike, the Suzuki GSXS1000GT may be a good option. If you are looking for a more powerful and stable bike for high-speed touring, then the Kawasaki ZX14R may be a better fit. It's important to consider that newer models of any motorcycle come with updated features and technology, and they might be more reliable, efficient, and have a longer lifespan. Also, newer models may have better fuel economy, emissions, and more advanced safety features. I would recommend that you test ride the Suzuki GSXS1000GT and compare it to your current Kawasaki ZX14R. Pay attention to the differences in handling, ride quality, and overall performance, and decide which bike best suits your riding needs and preferences. It's also important to consider the cost of buying a new bike, maintenance, and insurance before making a decision.
Personally, my thinking is, "of course you should!" I'm glad that bikes such as that exists, while also being mindful that we're verging on FJ1300 weight.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"It depends." ... hey! That's always the case! 😂 (y)

And "of course your should" is always the answer I get from my buds ;) much easier to spend OPM and live vicariously 👌

· Registered
967 Posts
I used to own a busa that I sold to my brother. A couple of years back he asked if I would like to ride it I hadn’t ridden the Busa for about 8 years and the first thing I noticed was more weight and the bike runs lower revs on the hwy.
A lot of riders think that bikes like the 14 and Busa don’t handle that great but if you set the suspension up properly you can hang with some sports bikes but you will have to work harder to do so plus it depends on the rider of cause.
Anyhow like others have said it’s best to keep the 14 for a while till you work out which bike you like the most but it doesn’t always work out as I had a Super Duke 990 and bought another bike that I liked more but after I sold the Duke I wished I had kept it and sold the newer bike instead DOH!
Anyhow good luck 😉

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
...A lot of riders think that bikes like the 14 and Busa don’t handle that great but if you set the suspension up properly you can hang with some sports bikes but you will have to work harder to do so plus it depends on the rider of cause.
I'm no racer, and like I said I def don't abuse the big ZX ... never have drag raced it, and no interest ... but have ridden the the Tail of the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway and Blue Ridge Parkway many times, and it is definitely no slouch. But yeah it is large and pretty heavy.

...Anyhow like others have said it’s best to keep the 14 for a while till you work out which bike you like the most but it doesn’t always work out as I had a Super Duke 990 and bought another bike that I liked more but after I sold the Duke I wished I had kept it and sold the newer bike instead DOH!
Yeah, that's the kind of regret I'm hoping to avoid.

Anyhow good luck 😉
Thanks! 🍻 My name is Jeff, too.

· Registered
680 Posts
Yeah, OK, I guess I could do that. Already got a garage full of toys, what's one more 😁 Was mostly looking for more experienced opinions to help me decide.

Funny, the dealer keeps calling me. I told them I want their out-the-door price, but they said they don't give out-the-door prices over the phone. I'm very patient :)
You are doing it wrong. Stop giving the dealer the power. Act like a boss. You tell THEM what you will pay out the door and tell them to call you when they want to sell a bike. That tactic eliminates all the BS from the buying process and makes it far less stressful. I would never buy a new vehicle any other way.

Trust me, it is the best way to get the bike for the price you want.

· Registered
2022 GSX-S1000GT+ blue
304 Posts
Depending on where you live, I've bought all my new bikes from Sport Cycles in Rockingham NC. There is no BS there. Keith or Jerry Covington will shoot you right. I think they have a $99 doc fee and no other fees. No freight, no set up, no nothing.

Reactions: extrap

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Depending on where you live, I've bought all my new bikes from Sport Cycles in Rockingham NC. There is no BS there. Keith or Jerry Covington will shoot you right. I think they have a $99 doc fee and no other fees. No freight, no set up, no nothing.
I bought the ZX from Sport Cycles of Rockingham in 2014 (y) It was great. I found their ebay listing for the bike at $11,500 but a week later when I had decided to go for it, the special was off. I told them to let me know if it goes back to $11,500. About 3 weeks later they did, so I told them I'm bringing a check for $11,500 so don't bother trying to add charges etc cuz I don't have the money to pay it anyway, and I'll just have to turn around and go home mad. They said they don't do that, and sure enough, they didn't. Loaded up the brand new, 0-mile ZX and drove the 8 hours home. Very pleased, and have been for the 9 years / 15k miles since.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You are doing it wrong. Stop giving the dealer the power. Act like a boss. You tell THEM what you will pay out the door and tell them to call you when they want to sell a bike. That tactic eliminates all the BS from the buying process and makes it far less stressful. I would never buy a new vehicle any other way.

Trust me, it is the best way to get the bike for the price you want.
Good idea. I'll try that 🍻

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I had a 2012 busa traded it for the gsx s1000 I still miss it untill Im riding around in town or ripping through the back roads so I guess I only really miss it on long blasts down the hwy.
Good feedback, thanks 🍻 That makes it sound like owning the ZX and GT at the same time will be hard to decide which one to let go!

· Registered
27 Posts
I think it depends on where you live. Here its 200 miles to good twisty roads so something thats more comfortable on the highway and fun enough on twisty roads might be better.

If you lived a few miles from those roads and could ride them all the time and only occassionaly took a long trip on the highway the GT would be better to have the comfy riding position and agility too. Definitely the GT or something lighter would be more fun on the tail of the dragon or the skyway.

I spent a week in Tellico plains riding those roads on a sportbike. By the end of the day the weight on your wrists and neck angle gets tiring so the GT would have been better than the sportbike and more enjoyable than the 14R.

If when you test ride the GT if the wind protection is the same or better than the 14R then lighter weight would be better. Its always a compromise is why I have 2 bikes

· Registered
2022 GSX-S1000GT+ blue
304 Posts
Agreed! Fairly rare color. I love the 2012 blue and somewhat love the anniversary 2015 red/gold.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts