GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
These keys are from eBay - I think it was $5.00 for all 3! There's a set that comes with Red/Blue/Black which I had ordered for the first bike. I didn't want another red key so I asked and was sent a link for a black key.

They are MUCH smaller than the ridiculous 'sword' that Suzuki sends out with this bike. They work just fine - if you look at the stock key in the ignition there is extra key length above the ignition, and these keys with the tapered bottom have plenty of clearance.

There is a clear protective sticker over the Suzuki logo - that's why the edges look rough or white.

I read somewhere online that these keys might not be easy to copy - so to be safe I went to a locksmith rather than a box store. They cut a set of keys in under 5min and they worked flawlessly, the first time.

Like I said I've been using them on my previous bike with no issue - for $5.00 it's an amazing value.

Attachments

·
Registered
980 Posts
Been meaning to get some spares cut, thanks for the reminder...ordered these.

No immobiliser in the US. I'd probably have to take out a loan to buy three of those, lol.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah Suzuki spares are crazy expensive! I bent one since it sticks so far out of the ignition and went looking for replacements. $38 or something for a Suzuki blank?! When these came in the mail I was skeptical because they were so much shorter, but when it fit in the ignition I was stoked.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Yeah Suzuki spares are crazy expensive! I bent one since it sticks so far out of the ignition and went looking for replacements. $38 or something for a Suzuki blank?! When these came in the mail I was skeptical because they were so much shorter, but when it fit in the ignition I was stoked.
I'm bummed that the US keys don't have the immobilizer feature. I thought that was pretty cool. :(
But, since they don't, give me a link to the keys you bought.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I guess I bought a different item...it was a picture of three keys but I only got one. The description didn't specifically say, but did always refer to it in the singular.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
980 Posts
Another of the many examples of where it would be nice to have a mandatory location associated with each member.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't buy it, just because of how long the key blade is. Sure, the plastic part might need to be a little bigger but there's no reason the key is as long as it is. The Chinese key has a shorter blade, and the 'working part' of the key isn't particularly long.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I don't buy it, just because of how long the key blade is. Sure, the plastic part might need to be a little bigger but there's no reason the key is as long as it is. The Chinese key has a shorter blade, and the 'working part' of the key isn't particularly long.
I think the extra length in the blade is because the reader for the chip is around (and above) the key hole. On mine the key hole is around 10mm lower than the surround and if the blade was any shorter, the plastic part would hit the surround.

·
Registered
593 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts